Poll

How do you primarily use The River?

I use them to expand my field(s).
8 (42.1%)
I use them to block other player other peoples' fields.
0 (0%)
I usually just place the tiles.
9 (47.4%)
I don't ever play or don't own The River or The River II.
1 (5.3%)
I use them in other creatively strategic ways.
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: September 26, 2014, 11:31:27 PM

Author Topic: The River – Element of the Week #2  (Read 15343 times)

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
Re: The River – Element of the Week #2
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 03:06:01 AM »
Because there is actually a chance that the river will become incomplete, we do not allow any U-turns at all.

My cousin played a game with me on my mobile phone, the old .apk version and he managed to make the river incomplete after his second river tile! Lol.

Luckily, the program discarded every river tile after that placement and we could continue the game with the regular tiles.
  We took a screenshot of it, if interested. Don't have it on me atm.

Has happened several times to me with my symbian. I do not know why but the tile bifurcation at times was positioned laterally from the computer, the other objectors (computer) inserivano tiles in a particular way, and almost all the tiles were discarded, sometimes it was not possible to complete the river 2.

I was thinking instead of a single river with all expansions outputs, eliminating springs and lakes in excess, using river 1 2 3 and GQ11, if I'm not mistaken, you can create a stream of water along 33 tiles.
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline thegreatone3182

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 10:09:21 AM »
We always play with both The River & The River II. We also use the Spring tile from GQ11. I love the road on that tile, as it helps to break up the fields some.

I honestly can't imagine not playing with the river. In addition to the incredible visual aesthetic, it spreads the board out and gives you plenty of options to start the game.

One thing that sometimes gets annoying is that depending on the course the river flows, it sometimes starts to move off the table. So, on a few occasions, we've had to shift all the tiles after placing the river to center it better on the table. I always dread the one lake tile coming out too early- I just like the game so much better when the right and left rivers are roughly the same size.

We never allow U-turns, so have never had a problem with the placement.

I really, really want to get the tiles from the "River III" to expand the river some more.

Gerry

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 10:17:27 AM »
We always play with both The River & The River II. We also use the Spring tile from GQ11. I love the road on that tile, as it helps to break up the fields some.

I honestly can't imagine not playing with the river. In addition to the incredible visual aesthetic, it spreads the board out and gives you plenty of options to start the game.

One thing that sometimes gets annoying is that depending on the course the river flows, it sometimes starts to move off the table. So, on a few occasions, we've had to shift all the tiles after placing the river to center it better on the table. I always dread the one lake tile coming out too early- I just like the game so much better when the right and left rivers are roughly the same size.

We never allow U-turns, so have never had a problem with the placement.

I really, really want to get the tiles from the "River III" to expand the river some more.
Instructions for using the River from the CAR documentation
Separate the spring tile and the lake tile from the others.35 Place the spring tile in the middle of the table and make the
other ten tiles into a stack. The game now begins. As usual, the players take turns to place a tile and can deploy their
followers to the river tiles as knights, thieves, monks, or farmers. When the river is finished, the lake tile is placed,

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 10:53:03 AM »
I don't quite see the relevance of posting the rules Gerry? Was there a point you were trying to make?

Gerry

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
I don't quite see the relevance of posting the rules Gerry? Was there a point you were trying to make?

Sorry I was referring to what thegreatone3182 had in his message

“I always dread the one lake tile coming out too early”

when the lake tile should only be placed after the other tiles have been placed.-

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 11:13:12 AM »
I see.

I'm not sure if the official rules for River 2 are any different but if there are more than one lakes being used I normally play that one of them gets thrown in with the rest of the tiles too.

Offline thegreatone3182

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 12:20:02 PM »

I'm not sure if the official rules for River 2 are any different but if there are more than one lakes being used I normally play that one of them gets thrown in with the rest of the tiles too.

I think this is right, according to the CAR. You have the normal lake and the volcano lake. The Volcano Lake tile is placed last. We mix the other lake in with the rest of the tiles. As such, it can be pulled any time. Page 60 of the CAR seems to back this up -"The spring tile, the river fork and the lake with a volcano should be separated from the others, while the remaining tiles are mixed and placed face down in a stack."

As the regular lake isn't included in that list, it would be mixed in with the others and can come out any time.

Gerry

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 12:28:18 PM »
The other lake included in river II ends in a city so it would encorage further building beyond the end of the river and would not be an issue.

Offline thegreatone3182

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 12:35:42 PM »
The other lake included in river II ends in a city so it would encorage further building beyond the end of the river and would not be an issue.

True, my point was simply that I don't like when one branch of the river is very short and the other one gets super long. It doesn't have anything to do with being able to play the game and add to it, it's just the aesthetic of the board. I like when both sides of the river are roughly the same length. I've played games where the lake with the city is the third or fourth tile drawn, and one side of the river gets capped early. You can still play fine, it just doesn't look as good to me.

Gerry

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 12:56:50 PM »
I agree, that is why I lay out the entire river before we start playing to get the best layout for an enjoyable game.

Offline Tacita

• La folia!
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 18
  • The last cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 01:19:47 PM »
We usually take half the tiles and mix in the fork, and in the other half we put the city lake. That way the fork is not likely to be next to the fountainhead, but it will always be before the first lake.
"We do not want to make someone buy a whole set just to get a few new cards. We like our fans!" - Donald X Vaccarino

Link

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 12:30:39 AM »
I very rarely play without at least one River expansion, usually two. I like the aesthetics, and the increased starting space which makes less competition for features early on. I did enjoy the addition of the road-spring from GQ though, as the starting farm was often very large.

I especially enjoy using the River II when playing with Princess and Dragons as it means the dragon gets deployed early on via the volcano lake as opposed to waiting until randomly drawn.
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Castles - Element of the Weak (unofficial Element of the Week)

Started by Gerry

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2014, 01:37:18 AM
by danisthirty
xx
The Hills – Element of the Week #20

Started by Whaleyland

10 Replies
Last post February 25, 2016, 09:57:22 PM
by TheDoctor_13
question
Element of the Week #56 – The Labyrinth