Author Topic: Other games with wooden pieces thread  (Read 16364 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Other games with wooden pieces thread
« on: February 11, 2016, 07:10:50 AM »
In the spirit of Paul's Other tile laying games thread, I thought I would start an Other games with wooden pieces thread. While tile-laying is at the heart of Carcassonne, I think we all enjoy the wooden pieces aspect of the game too. 

I don't intend to make a long list of games with wooden pieces in this thread, but if you own or know of a game with nice wooden pieces, feel free to share it here.

Let me start with two games that have a lot of wonderful wooden components and are the kinds of games where you take a photo at the end because you've created a beautiful scene.

The first is Medina, which I think I'm getting for my birthday in a few weeks and can't wait for. This photo is from the 2014 second edition.

The second is Cathedral, which was first published in 1978 (!) but which has been republished several times. This photo is from the 2013 edition.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2438.0
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:13:24 AM by jungleboy »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: Other games with wooden pieces thread
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:59:51 AM »
Glad to inspire a new thread and the images really look amazing. I'll be looking forward to the games! A short list is all good and would be easier. I should update my thread and narrow it down to more Carcassonne-type rather than just tile laying. :)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 08:54:47 AM »
Cathedral is an all time favourite in my household.  Very short quick games, with a surprising amount of strategy.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 11:10:32 AM »
Cathedral is an all time favourite in my household.  Very short quick games, with a surprising amount of strategy.

Cool, which version do you have? It seems that in addition to the beautiful wooden editions, there are also some nice ones with plastic pieces.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 01:13:18 AM »
There seem to be dozens of versions of Cathedral.  Ours would have been printed in the 90s. 

It's wooden and looks very similar to the picture above, except the box is different. https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2884497/cathedral

I know the staining changes; my Uncle had a copy and one of the 4-block pieces was the same for both players, while ours was a mirrored copy.

_|- vs -|_

This made little difference to the game though.

I love the aesthetic of the wooden pieces; they're weighty...plus oak.

Offline Andrew the Ambo

• Count
  • Merit: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 01:24:48 AM »
And even better, the game was designed in New Zealand.
I have a wood version with the black box which came out in 1978 I believe.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 01:27:37 AM by Andrew the Ambo »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 03:29:10 AM »
I know the staining changes; my Uncle had a copy and one of the 4-block pieces was the same for both players, while ours was a mirrored copy.

_|- vs -|_

This made little difference to the game though.

Yeah, a quick perusal on the BGG forums shows that this is a common problem, where some editions have all the pieces as mirrors of the equivalent piece of the other colour (which I believe is what it should be), whereas some editions have some pieces that are identical rather than mirror images.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 04:59:54 AM »
Half the fun is working out how to put all the pieces back in the box.  :(y)

Paul - there's a lego variant somewhere you should try too.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 01:43:40 PM »
Five Tribes

I played this game yesterday for the first time. For setup tiles with different functions are placed randomly, then three meeples in 5 different ("tribal") colours are placed randomly on each tile out of a bag. You then have to move the meeples around and collect some of them on the end of the move, for different benefits. Wooden bits, other then the meeples, feature camels (to own a tile) and towers (for bidding for turn order) in the player colours and palm trees and palaces for bonus points.

I really enjoyed the game, even won it, although the other two players were already familiar with it, but it was extremely lucky and tight, I got one point more in a three digit score then the second player. There are many different ways to victory in this game, and it is a real puzzle to find the optimum turn and estimate, if you want to pay a lot of gold, to be sure, nobody else can do it before you, or pay nothing, risking, there is nothing really interested left, when it comes to you.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 02:06:45 PM »
Cathedral looks good but I can't find a reasonable priced one on ebay.  If anyone finds a reasonably priced copy with wooden pieces I would appreciate it.

The games I have with wooden pieces are;

Trainmaker - a kickstarter I backed whi ch is a good little game.  Quite quick and doesn't take much thinking when playing the basic form but it is fun.
Rummikub - this is usually plastic but I recieved a wooden version for christmas and I love this game.  I love seeing the patterns in the numbers to be able to get rid  of some number which seemingly won't fit anywhere.

Chess, Draughts, Backgammon, Monopoly, Scrabble, and various other classics. 

But that is all I have, I would like Agricola and Caverna but  I don't have them yet.
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 02:48:34 PM »
boardgamegeek.com is listing Cathedral (New) for 7 USD + shipping. Sadly ships only within the States. I looked at his feedback of 59 and seems legit.

A store here in Sweden has 1 copy of it, that I could find searching entire Sweden, but it's used condition retail store for about 25 Euro + shipping.

Offline JoeSesquipedalian

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
  • ǝuuossɐɔɹɐɔ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 03:32:04 PM »
boardgamegeek.com is listing Cathedral (New) for 7 USD + shipping. Sadly ships only within the States. I looked at his feedback of 59 and seems legit.

I just looked at this one.  It is actually just a placeholder for an auction that was carried out.  The game is not actually available for $7,  unfortunately.  I did find it in an auction on ebay US.  It is at $6 right now, with no bids.  Shipping in the US seems to be about $13.  So, a potential buyer in the US could end up with Cathedral for under $20USD.  It appears to be the version that amazon is selling for$49USD.
Who got a smudge on the tile?

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 08:23:45 PM »
Also a big fan of Cathedral. Wood sets seem readily available here. I’ve thrifted 3 copies. I won't go on a thrifting kick again though maybe I should change my handle to frankisthrifty  ;D

In regards to Cathedral, probably the favourte one I found is a 'stone' set, (not on topic but since were discussing that game). It’s more like a hard plaster but is certainly very weighty. In the end it’s not that practical to play with but looks nice on display.

A few of other games for the list here, Masons and Ponte Del Diavolo. We enjoy these and the wood components are the big basis of the game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/21791/masons     https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27172/ponte-del-diavolo

Masons

Ponte Del Diavolo

I also have to mention some more favourites, the Gigamic series of abstract games like Pylons, Quorto and Quoridor.

By weight, honourable mention to Wood Block war games like Command and Colors Ancients and Napoleonics, just to name a couple. There is just a tonne of wood in these sets.

Images lifted from users on Boardgamegeek, Gigamic website. The Cathedral image which is my own.
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 09:27:58 PM »
So if the store thst list Cathedral for 25 Euro is worth checking out?

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 11:09:11 PM »
Thanks for your contributions franks! Ponte del Diavolo looks intriguing to me, I'll have to look into it more.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
xx
Other tile laying games thread.

Started by Paul

149 Replies
Last post March 26, 2022, 07:51:12 AM
by fbinstant
xx
Spielmaterial.de - Shop for game pieces, games and expansions