Author Topic: First session with minis  (Read 10100 times)

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
First session with minis
« on: July 31, 2013, 02:30:23 PM »
Played a three player game last night with the minis plus the Wheel.  I probably handicapped myself a little bit since they were all new to me and I was teaching my eager, 5-year-old son, but I hadn't had an opportunity to play them before, so I took it.  I found them to be pretty intersting.

The Ferries - give opportunities to steal long roads if they are available and gives the roads a little bit more value, if only perceived.

The Flyer - worked perfectly a time or two.  Didn't think I'd like it, but it turned out to be pretty good.

The Mage - seems strangly familiar... I digress.  Seemed to work fine.  I was a little confused as to whether you were permitted to move one on the board while the other was still off to the side.

The Gold Mines - This one was a lot of fun, maybe because I got eight of them, four in one move, but enjoyable.

The Robber - Not sure we played this right.  If I were to skip one, this might be it.  Having so many figures on the score board was really confusing at times.  I confused them for the other meeple more than once.

The Messages - This was a nice little bonus every now and then.  Again, it was a little confusing having multiple figures on the board, but my only gripe is that there are too few (and perhaps also that my son knocked the stack on the floor so after shuffling, my wife got the extra tile one twice in a row). 

Corn Circles - First play with this as well.  It did make for some intersting decision making during the game.  Can definitely be used to your advantage. 

Festival - Not a mini, I know, but it was my first play as well, so I included it.  I found it to be not that useful.  I don't think anyone took advantage of it the whole time.  I think I might be the type of player that would rather wait and hope that I eventually pull the tile I need though, especially if it's a decent sized city.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=351.0
Flee the fleas.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: First session with minis
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 03:35:32 PM »
I missed your reports about playing Carcassonne. You are teaching your son with our beloved game - it's great that you still have all expansions from Carcassonne.

Quote from: CKorfmann
The Messages - This was a nice little bonus every now and then.  Again, it was a little confusing having multiple figures on the board, but my only gripe is that there are too few (and perhaps also that my son knocked the stack on the floor so after shuffling, my wife got the extra tile one twice in a row).
I don't understand what you mean with "...there are too few" - The use of the messages is as often as one scoring figure from the active player stands on a dark field at the scoring board. I like it if you play with many expansions...

Quote from: CKorfmann
Festival - Not a mini, I know, but it was my first play as well, so I included it.  I found it to be not that useful.  I don't think anyone took advantage of it the whole time.  I think I might be the type of player that would rather wait and hope that I eventually pull the tile I need though, especially if it's a decent sized city.
The Festival is useful if you use the barn from "Abbey and Mayor" or if you use the pig...
rule: he returns 1 of his own figures from anywhere on the map back to his supply.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »
I think he meant that he would like to see a larger quantity and variety of messages, rather than the same ones over and over.

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 05:59:58 PM »
I think he meant that he would like to see a larger quantity and variety of messages, rather than the same ones over and over.

This.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 11:36:13 AM »

This.
Any ideas?

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 01:30:29 PM »
Nice report CK! Glad to see you're bringing the next generation up right  :red-meeple:
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 10:07:04 AM »
Here's a photo of the session, somewhere in the middle. 

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 10:36:23 AM »
what a 'lil legend.
Can't wait until my boy is Carc-ready =)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
My first Discovery session

Started by CKorfmann

4 Replies
Last post September 10, 2013, 09:42:06 AM
by Carcking
xx
First Mists Over Carcassonne Session Reports

Started by Whaleyland

10 Replies
Last post January 10, 2023, 06:05:18 AM
by Challa007
clip
Mega Civilization (Advanced Civilization) 9 player game session.

Started by Paul

4 Replies
Last post June 18, 2016, 10:07:47 PM
by franks
xx
Star Wars Carcassonne Session

Started by Whaleyland

3 Replies
Last post February 15, 2016, 01:51:14 AM
by totor66
xx
7 player session