Author Topic: Other tile laying games thread.  (Read 69089 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Other tile laying games thread.
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2016, 04:39:10 AM »
Im having a look at some shops near me to see if they have onirim.  I'll call one of my local shops if you cant wait until Essen. 

I can wait, thanks anyway. My plan for Onirim is to 'save' it for a long trip I'm hoping to take next year. So I'm hoping that Sylvion and/or Castellion can scratch the solo itch while I'm at home and Onirim can be more or less exclusively a travel game, because it's so easy to transport (169 cards including 7 different expansions) and the play area is smaller than the other two.

One thing I really like about castellion was the rule manual.  The rules are introduced over 3 stages. Each stage adds a few extra mechanics.  I won't spoil it any more than that but each stage is nicely woven into the theme.

I downloaded the rule manual already. It sounds so good that I don't even need to bother buying the game now! :)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2016, 05:03:15 AM »
I didn't like Solo until I played Onirim.  I found it quite compelling; I even implemented an Android version of it - there's a few end game bugs that need resolving though and it had none of the expansions.  You can play basic onirim in a tiny area if required  :(y)  I'm sure all of these will be available at Essen & hopefully a second edition of Urbion.  Urbion is extremely hard to find, but I had a french copy sent from Canada then Andrew the Ambo was kind enough to send me 2 copies from a shop in New Zealand.  I've sold them now, but can't wait for a reprint with some extra expansions!

You won't be disappointed in either/any/all  :(y)

I think there is meant to be another 3-4 games coming in the series, looking forward to a crazy Big Box that lets you play them all at the same time ;)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2016, 05:31:17 AM »
At the bottom of this BGG thread, someone says that a new Oniverse game is coming next, then the Urbion reprint. I'm not sure where she got that info from.

Because the boxes are small, I should be able to get both Sylvion and Castellion this weekend in addition to the four games that Dan is bringing me (!). Then I just have to decide on Lanterns...

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2016, 08:05:42 AM »

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2016, 07:16:49 PM »
There's one I'm rather surprised isn't here ( and I forgot previously) and that is Glen More.  This is an excellent game.  I really love the variable turn order mechanic, the supply and demand market, and periodic scoring.  Game play is fun and engaging.  If you haven't played, and you can find a copy, you should definitely give this one a try. 
Flee the fleas.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2016, 11:02:33 AM »
Limes is technically cards and not tiles, but it's really a tile-laying game. It looks like a good little game to me - a cross between Carcassonne, Karuba and The Little Prince. All/both players build a 4x4 landscape (like the Little Prince) around a limes, which are ancient Roman border walls (e.g. the Limes Germanicus linking the Rhine-Danube frontiers). You can place meeples on forests, rivers, farms or towers (like Carcassonne). The Karuba aspect is calling out the number of the tile and all/both players place the same tile. So it's multi-player solitaire on the one hand but I still think it looks pretty cool.

EDIT: I should add that the artwork on the cards/tiles looks really nice. And if you want to create a game with a theme that I'm going to like, Roman frontier defence is probably about as good a place to start as any.

I opened this today and just played a couple of solo games. I like it! Looking forward to playing with an actual opponent...

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2016, 12:50:21 PM »
Nice photo jungleboy, I would love to hear a full write up in its own Thread.  I've been wondering about this since I saw Rahdo play it a few months back.  :(y)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2016, 03:10:12 AM »
I recently found the BGG blog "Mina's Fresh Cardboard", and therein a review for Völuspá, which caught my interest. Since she even mentioned previously playing it at yucata.de, I tried it out yesterday there, and I enjoyed my first play. :)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2016, 06:47:36 PM »
Radho ran through his top 10 tile-laying games this week. Some favourites of this board/thread are on the list such as Carcassonne: the Castle, Citrus and Isle of Skye.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2016, 07:48:52 PM »
Radho ran through his top 10 tile-laying games this week. Some favourites of this board/thread are on the list such as Carcassonne: the Castle, Citrus and Isle of Skye.

Just watched this. Nice input. Some new game I will be adding to the list.

I liked Isle of Skye, bought it even, but never had a chance to play it  properly yet.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2016, 01:39:12 AM »
Urbion is extremely hard to find, but I had a french copy sent from Canada then Andrew the Ambo was kind enough to send me 2 copies from a shop in New Zealand. I've sold them now, but can't wait for a reprint with some extra expansions!

I just found a copy on French Amazon and asked for it as a stocking present. It's the French first edition, so it's actually called Equilibrion, not Urbion. There are four left if you want to go crazy :)

Edit: Link.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 02:54:39 AM by jungleboy »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2016, 02:07:31 AM »
Urbion is extremely hard to find, but I had a french copy sent from Canada then Andrew the Ambo was kind enough to send me 2 copies from a shop in New Zealand. I've sold them now, but can't wait for a reprint with some extra expansions!

I just found a copy on French Amazon and asked for it as a stocking present. It's the French first edition, so it's actually called Equilibrion, not Urbion. There are four left if you want to go crazy :)

I would have jumped at the chance yesterday but I've been forced to shave since then and so no longer have my moustache... :(

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2016, 02:48:47 AM »
3 left now....le sigh....

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2016, 02:53:46 AM »
3 left now....le sigh....

Collector's item - get 'em all!

Edit: It's for sale directly on the vendor's website for the same price, but as Urbion. So we'll have to wait and see which name we get!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 03:02:07 AM by jungleboy »

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2016, 03:33:09 AM »
We had a game night with another couple and they brought Quadropolis.  My wife and I had tried it at a store before and didn't particularly care for it.  We tried it again and it still fell flat.  Our friends have seen the number of tile laying games in our house and couldn't understand why we didn't like it.  On the flip side, they got to play Isle of Skye and didn't like the tile buying aspect.  Their other complaint that I share is that the players boards don't ever connect.  Everything else about the game I really like though.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
xx
Other games with wooden pieces thread

Started by jungleboy

34 Replies
Last post April 11, 2016, 05:30:36 AM
by Hounk
xx
Favorite Tile-Laying Games