Poll

Which of these spinoffs do you enjoy the most?

The City
4 (23.5%)
Goldrush
2 (11.8%)
I've not played either/both
11 (64.7%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: June 04, 2016, 01:11:51 PM

Author Topic: Spinoff HeadtoHead #4 - The City vs Goldrush  (Read 4229 times)

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
Spinoff HeadtoHead #4 - The City vs Goldrush
« on: May 28, 2016, 01:11:51 PM »
Carcassonne is a great tile laying game with infinite expansionability.  It has been reduced to a travel version, reinvented as Carcassonne II, colour changed for the Winter Edition and had luck added in the Wheel of Fortune.  But these are all different flavours with the same playability as the vanilla version we all love and return to again and again.

Variants on a theme are all very well but the tile laying concept can be taken much further, and has been by Hans im Gluck and other companies too.  This series of polls is for the forum to offer thoughts on which is their preferences and why.  I am only including spinoffs by Hans im Gluck through various distributers in this series.

The poll is open for 7 days and then another will be offered up for comments.  It may well be that the 3rd option gets most votes but it'll be the spinoff with the majority that progresses to the next round.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2758.0
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:08:30 PM by whaleyland, Reason: Fixed topic title »
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Re: Spinoff Headtohead #4 - The City vs Goldrush
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 04:29:23 PM »
The only spinoffs I have played unless you consider Isle of Skye a spinoff.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 01:38:54 AM »
I've voted for Goldrush. I like the tent and I like the game mechanics with the tokens. I did the correction reading for this spin-off game and I played the prototype.

I don't have the spin-off game "The City" - I don't like the graphics. The wooden pieces are nice, but that was not enough for me to have this game.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 02:21:47 AM »
I haven't played Goldrush so I couldn't vote for either one and had to vote for the third option.

I like the City. The artwork of the markets is pretty poor, I definitely agree on that front. But I think the other tile artwork (the buildings and heritage buildings) is OK. Meanwhile, I really like the wooden wall pieces and the mechanism of building the wall as the game progresses, so I think it's one of the most creative spinoffs and one of the most interesting. Like the Castle, I feel like I'm playing quite a different game - although with familiar aspects - from standard Carcassonne.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 03:41:36 AM »
Gutted when I drew these 2 against each other as I enjoy both.  I'm trying to get hold of a copy of The City after playing it for the first time at Thirsty Meeples.

I've played Goldrush many times and with The Sheriff added it definitely gets played often.

The wooden walls element tipped the vote to The City for me.

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 09:45:01 AM »
I like the walls element of The City, it does a good job of setting it apart from other expansions. I also quite enjoyed Gold Rush, but from the one time I played it (at Thirsty Meeples) I found that the randomness of the mining tokens made it hard to get a feel for who was winning.

I voted for The City.

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Spinoff HeadtoHead #4 - The City vs Goldrush
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 08:26:36 AM »
Bit late on this one but I think I'd have to go with the city too.

I actually really enjoy both, I've just picked up gold rush and got to play them both at thirsty meeples.

I find the mining very fun in gold rush and the limited meeples make for some interesting moves. I also enjoy the nuggets as they make t more difficult to see who is in the lead, despite them being a random element. I also think the artwork for gold rush is fantastic and the landscape looks great when completed.

Despite this, the city is the better of the two for me as it feels very different from the base game whilst still having that familiarity. I think the wall building mechanic is really well executed and adds a lot to the game. I do agree that some of the artwork is a little lacklustre but overall I find the gameplay more unique in this one.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 10:48:01 AM »
A win for The City. 

Offline JoeSesquipedalian

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
  • ǝuuossɐɔɹɐɔ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 01:28:18 PM »
I own both, but I still have yet to play the City.  The City looks like it will be a lot of fun but I have a couple other games to get to first.

I love Gold Rush.  It may be my favorite standalone or at least tied for those honors.  :green-meeple:  I like being able to move your tent around around and start mining from your opponent's mountain.  The Sheriff expansion is fun too as it adds the Sheriff figure and Graveyards that act as cloisters.  The 1 train only on a railroad for double points is also a great mechanic as it allows players to sabotage others by adding a 2nd train.   :@ :(y)   Also, the randomness of the mining tokens really makes it so you are not sure who is going to win until the very end.
Who got a smudge on the tile?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Spinoff HeadtoHead #2 - Star Wars vs Over Hill and Dale

Started by Halfling

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2016, 07:11:47 PM
by franks
xx
Spinoff headtohead QF#1 - Kids of Carcassonne vs The Castle

Started by Halfling

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2016, 08:01:32 AM