Author Topic: Carcassonne: The City - The Gate?  (Read 3924 times)

Offline Lord_Wishmaster

• Count
  • Merit: 9
    • View Profile
Carcassonne: The City - The Gate?
« on: January 02, 2016, 04:35:46 AM »
Having owned it for at least six years and never ever played it(!) we decided it was about time to get The City out. I have the original version that came in the rather large wooden box. Goodness only knows why we waited so long, it's fantastic and looks really good once the walls start going up.

Question: Does anyone have an opinion, or know the rule regards placing the Gate? The rules supplied simply say that when the first scoring from the second stack of tiles takes place, the player that placed the tile takes the Gate and places it followed in clockwise order by the other players placing a wall piece next to it. Players may place a meeple (Guard) on the section of wall they have just laid......   But, what about the Gate? Can the player that placed it put a meeple on top of the Gate?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2294.0

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Carcassonne: The City - The Gate?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 09:36:20 AM »
I played the City a couple of weeks ago and this issue came up. We ruled that you could place a guard on the gate, but you're right in that the rules seem to leave it a bit ambiguous.

P.S. Glad you like the City - me too.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 01:55:45 PM »
I had the same question, but after very careful read of the rules I have found the answer (emphasis - mine):
With the first scoring after players start drawing from the 2nd stack, the player who played the tile that caused the scoring takes the city gate, Each other player takes 1 wall The player with the city gate places it next to the tile (in the city) of his choice, In clockwise order, the other players place their walls adjacent to the gate (or to other walls) to the right or left of the city gate. In this way, they build the city wall around the city. The wall acts as a barrier to future tile additions - tiles cannot be placed beyond the walls (or city gate)
Note, that followers on walls are not mentioned here. Continue reading:
With each further scoring, each player takes 1 wall. Beginning with the player who placed the tile causing the scoring, each adds their wall to the previously started city wall, placing his wall adjacent to a previous wall or the city gate,
Whenever a player adds a wall to the city wall, he may immediately place a follower from his supply on the wall he just placed as a guard. Restriction: if there is already a guard on the wall directly opposite the wall he placed, he may not place a guard on the wall
So, now followers on walls are allowed.
Based on that I concluded that during the first placement of walls (including gate), follower placement on walls is not allowed.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 01:59:06 PM by MrNumbers »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Carcassonne: The City - The Gate?
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 02:10:06 PM »
There is a discussion about this rule in this thread on BGG including answers from publishers. The (former) English publisher RGG agreed with MrNumbers - that no guards can be placed on the first round of wall-building, either on the gate or on the walls. HiG agrees that no guard can be placed on the gate, but it differs from RGG in saying that guards can be placed on non-gate wall pieces during the first round of wall-building.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 02:19:08 PM by jungleboy »

Offline Lord_Wishmaster

• Count
  • Merit: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 06:11:03 AM »
I think I prefer the RGG ruling, and as it was explained by MrNumbers. A very careful reading of the rules there Sir! Makes sense too. I know the starting player gets choice of position for the gate, but if he cannot place meeples and everyone else can he is still somewhat disadvantaged, thus the RGG version becomes fair to all.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTB: Carcassonne the City and Halflings (spielbox)

Started by supertopix

9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2016, 03:47:54 PM
by supertopix
xx
Does the City of Carcassonne count for the King?

Started by JT Atomico

26 Replies
Last post December 05, 2013, 06:42:39 PM
by Carcking
xx
Want to buy/get/... Carcassonne: The City

Started by Piasekstc

2 Replies
Last post March 16, 2018, 05:07:00 PM
by Piasekstc
clip
WTB Carcassonne: the City parts