Poll

Which version(s) of Wheel of Fortune do you own or want to own?

I own the German, English and language-independent versions of the Wheel of Fortune.
2 (3.1%)
I own one stand-alone version and the Big Box 5 version, but I want the remaining version to complete my collection.
4 (6.2%)
I own one stand-alone version and the Big Box 5 version, and that's enough for my collection.
14 (21.5%)
I own only one version of Wheel of Fortune (which one?), but I want another version or versions to complete my collection.
3 (4.6%)
I own only one version of Wheel of Fortune (which one?), and that's enough for my collection.
32 (49.2%)
I don't own any versions of Wheel of Fortune.
9 (13.8%)
Other (please explain below).
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: Completionism Poll #5: Wheel of Fortune  (Read 13733 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Completionism Poll #5: Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 10:07:15 AM »
This is a really interesting poll so far. In all the previous polls, owning all versions of the expansion in question was the most popular choice. But so far in this one, people seem content with just one version and one start tile. Is having text on the German/English/Dutch (!) editions of the start tile not a drawback for people if those languages are not their first languages, or a drawcard if those languages are their first languages? If you're an uber completionist, does it not bother you not to have at least one language version and one language-independent version?

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 10:39:47 AM »
I have the English version from the stand-alone game and that is more than enough for me. I like the English version as (much like Whaleyland) I believe the instructions are clear. I have no interest in the language independent as I think I would find the icons confusing, and to me it feels very much like a reprint. Unlike other expansions we have talked about which lend themselves to playing with multiples, such as siege tiles and cult tiles, you would never play with two wheels of fortune. I usually play with Wheel of Fortune as an expansion by adding the wheel and the spin tiles to the base game plus any other expansions I'm playing with.

All that being said, I do own the language independent version as I recently succumbed to my neuroses following the River completion poll and bought the Big Box 5 for the River III.

I also have no interest in the German version as it is a version of what I own in a different language. I also don't own German copies of the rules for every expansion but that doesn't bother me either.
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 03:24:46 PM »
Do all the German Edition with Book come with one of these?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:19:30 AM by Decar »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 03:34:44 PM »
No, that's a limited edition of 500.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 03:38:40 PM »
I wasnt sure if all the game/book combo was limited to 500 copies. Or if this edition was a subset.

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 08:31:47 PM »
I wasnt sure if all the game/book combo was limited to 500 copies. Or if this edition was a subset.
Decar, I guess you need to by two versions of the WoF-Set. The limited one and the regular one.  O0
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline JoeSesquipedalian

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
  • ǝuuossɐɔɹɐɔ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 11:39:13 PM »
Just the BB5 version for me.  I got into the game fairly late (relatively), so any other version of wheel of fortune is cost prohibitive.  The wheel can be fun, but in a larger game it is rare that I'm willing to place (waste) a follower on it.  I've no real desire for another version of it.  :green-meeple:
Who got a smudge on the tile?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 11:43:56 PM »
Quote from: Safari
Decar, I guess you need to by two versions of the WoF-Set. The limited one and the regular one.  O0

Instead I think I got two limited editions. Ive not opened my book/box combo so it's hard to check. This one was a recent accidental purchase!

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 01:02:34 AM »
I scoured the internet in 2014 and found an English version of Wheel of Fortune for £19.99 that was unopened.  My most satisfying find to date.  This is partly because it is hard to get and partly because it is a great addition to the Carcassonne family.  In fact, for me, it is what the original base game should have been.

There is a variety of starting options of the Wheel tile itself, so you don't need to add a river.  There are different fields which can be joined by clever tile play.  There is the option of meeple removal from the plague and finally there is a better selection of tiles than we have on offer from the base game.

I've not bought a big box, yet.  I am waiting for the first in the new art.  I've no need for BB5 because I have the original.

This is my go-to favourite and would be the last that I would part with.  So there!
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Karcalijn

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
  • I call purple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 01:29:55 AM »
This is my go-to favourite and would be the last that I would part with.  So there!

I completly agree!

You've mentioned all the arguments that count for me as well. I see the Wheel of Fortune as the base game, a base game without it seems boring to me. But i can't really say, because i never played without it (I'm fairly new to this game). And iff it is up to me, i will never play without WoF.

We started our collection with the dutch WoF, i don't need another version. But to give an example for how we see the base game: The next purchase in our collection was Big Box 4. We removed the base game, put in the WoF, printed a rulebook for only the base game and gave that with the base game set in the box of WoF to my aunt.
This is the game, those are the rules and that is how it should be played!

Offline Endecay

• Labourer
  • Merit: 2
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 01:46:02 AM »
BB5 for me. WOF seems to my kids favourite expansion.
Which expansion today?

Offline gabrielgeek

• Freeman
  • Merit: 6
  • I'm a monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 07:44:52 AM »
I own both the Rio Grande Games version of Carcassonne WoF and the Italian Big Box 5. Since I'm Italian, I'm happy a language neutral version exist, although the English (German / Dutch) version is no doubt aesthetically prittier. Anyway, my English edition is like new and is for sale...  O:-)

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 11:31:42 AM »
I own both the stand-alone WoF and the one from BB5. I don't consider them to be separate expansions and only ever play with the stand-alone version.

I prefer the English language wheel because it has visual reminders of what each of the spaces mean, I found that when playing with the text-free one I had to look up the exact meaning of each space a bunch of times.

The main reason that I own both is that I wanted BB5 for the River III (as I consider it to be!).

Offline Gabrielgeek01

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2016, 02:26:37 AM »
I wonder if the tile distribution in BB5 WoF versus standalone WoF does change the game somewhat. I mean, standalone WoF has 72 tiles, BB5 WoF 84...

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 02:50:50 AM »

After one week of voting, this is one of the most interesting polls we have had in this series. Nearly half of the people who have responded said they only have one version and that's enough for them, while just over a quarter of people said they have the stand-alone version and the Big Box 5 version. So it seems as though, unlike in the previous polls, most people don't really consider two versions to be necessary for completion.

This poll/thread will stay open and any future discussion of the Wheel of Fortune in terms of ownership/completionism is welcome in this thread, while for discussion of this expansion in terms of gameplay, head over to The Wheel of Fortune - Element of the Week #24.

Meanwhile, the new completionism poll is Completionism Poll #6: German/Dutch Monasteries.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTS English Writings Wheel of Fortune board + 19 fortune tiles expansion

Started by DavidY

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2016, 10:34:27 PM
by asparagus
exclamation
Completionism Poll #10 - Favouritism Poll #3 : Die Schule

Started by Decar

33 Replies
Last post September 21, 2023, 06:39:35 AM
by Meles
xx
Clarification about Wheel of Fortune taxation method

Started by carca82

13 Replies
Last post September 21, 2022, 04:40:00 PM
by Meepledrone
clip
WTS The Ark, full minis, River III, Wheel of Fortune and other old art.

Started by Paul

93 Replies
Last post October 21, 2017, 01:39:18 PM
by Yashin-n
xx
Wheel of Fortune: Tips for Tactics & Best Expansions to Use?

Started by kothmann

5 Replies
Last post September 19, 2022, 02:33:26 PM
by kothmann