Author Topic: Castle Question  (Read 7087 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Castle Question
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:42:05 AM »
Hello, I have a quick (hopefully) question regarding the rules outlined in the CAR relating to castles...

The third paragraph from the bottom of page 107 of the current CAR (6.4) states that:

"At game end, all uncompleted castles score no points and their followers are removed from the board. A castle gets no points for farms."

For clarity, I assume the last sentence here should read "An incomplete castle gets no points for farms."? This is how I understood castles to work anyway. However, point 340 on the following page seems to contradict this:

"The RGG Big Box 3 scoring guide at the end of the rules claims that farms only score points for completed castles, but this is presumably a misprint, as there is no indication in the rules that this is actually true (especially as followers from incomplete castles are removed, so there would be no way to tell which castles were incomplete and which were complete when scoring farms)."

I'm probably wrong but these two statements seem to contradict each other unless I'm missing something? If telling the difference between complete/ incomplete castles is that big a problem you could always just leave followers atop incomplete castles at the end of the game as they're not worth anything anyway and this would make it be possible to tell which castles were completed.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=580.0

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Question
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 12:39:30 PM »
This has always been a spot where I've hated the wording, but I just looked at the ZMG rules, and I think they did a better job of it.

First up, the bullet point on page 107 of the CAR:

At game end, all uncompleted castles score no points and their followers are removed from the board. A castle gets no points for farms.

This bullet point is talking all about how many points the follower on the castle gets -- in this case none, since the castle is incomplete. The second sentence is simply a clarification that the follower on the castle does not get any points for a "completed" farm in its area, because castles never get points from farms. (The phrase "for farms" is confusing, but ZMG does a better job in their wording and by referring to the castle area as the fief.) 

As far as footnote 340, that was just highlighting a mistake that RGG made in one place. All of the rules everywhere else (HiG, ZMG, elsewhere by RGG) state that the owner of a farm gets 4 points for an included castle, with no mention of the completion status of that castle. Thus, whoever put the little scoring help guide together in RGG Big Box 3 dropped the ball for that one bit.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 01:23:00 PM by obervet »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Question
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 03:42:34 AM »
Thanks for the clarification obervet. The point on page 107 makes a lot more sense now you've explained it!

Although cities and castles are very different features, I guess the link between them remains in my mind at least because castles are built on city foundations (albeit very small cities/ towns). This is why it seems strange (to me) to award points to farmers for incomplete castles since they don't get anything for incomplete cities. It sounds as though the rules are very clear though, misprints aside, so I guess this is what I'll play from now on...

Thanks again!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
To Castle Or Not To Castle?

Started by danisthirty

10 Replies
Last post November 01, 2015, 01:14:56 AM
by Hounk
xx
Castle scoring with a witch in that adjacent city question.

Started by Paul

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 09:59:09 PM
by Carcking
xx
Carcassonne: The Castle, wall tiles question

Started by MrNumbers

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2015, 06:02:41 AM
by MrNumbers
xx
Castle scoring question