Author Topic: Suggestion on new version of CAR - descriptions about the real places/buildings  (Read 4182 times)

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
Upon reading the discussion about official names of expansions in the profile, I became curious about the German, Belgian, Dutch, and Japanese buildings depicted in the game. I am very grateful that the CAR has rather detailed descriptions on Germany Castles, German Monasteries, Dutch and Belgian Monasteries. Japanese buildings are only available in Carc II, so I suppose the descriptions will come in (the section of) the CAR for Carc II (is that right? :)).
I did find it a little frustrating after I did a quick search on "The Catholic Church of St. Louis of Toulouse", one of the three tiles in Darmstadt Promo; I could not figure out where this church is in the world. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. And maybe a mention of the city could appear in the new version of CAR?
Games aren't just pieces that occupy the shelf and the table. They inspire us to explore the real world, eh?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3554.0

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
The descriptions of the German Monuments come from the rules with each examples.

The Darmstadt tiles are:

Darmstadtium (Scientific Conference Centre) - https://www.darmstadtium.de/en/darmstadtium/downloads/informational-material/
Kirche St. Ludwig (Church of St. Ludwig) - https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Ludwig_(Darmstadt)
Russische Kapelle (Russian Chapel) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Chapel_in_Darmstadt

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
I did find it a little frustrating after I did a quick search on "The Catholic Church of St. Louis of Toulouse", one of the three tiles in Darmstadt Promo; I could not figure out where this church is in the world. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. And maybe a mention of the city could appear in the new version of CAR?
It's in Darmstadt, of course! He's just known as Saint Ludwig there. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Ludwig_(Darmstadt). Saint Louis of Toulouse was Saint Louis IX of France's grand-nephew and a member of the Capetian House of Anjou, younger brother of King Charles Martel of Hungary and older brother of King Robert of Naples. He led a pious life and renounced his titles and claims, becoming the second member of the House of Capet to become a saint.

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
    • View Profile
Thanks to Decar and whaleyland!

I should've paid more attention to this promo... I was in Darmstadt this past August, but I only visited the Schloss, the Landesmuseum, and Luisenplatz... Ahhhhh!
I definitely need to go to Darmstadt again.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Don't tell Jungleboy!

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
    • View Profile
What did he do?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
He was very vocal about his dislike of the selection of the Darmstadtium as a Carcassonne expansion!

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
    • View Profile
Aha, I think I've been careful enough not to refer to it as an expansion ::)

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
Aha, I think I've been careful enough not to refer to it as an expansion ::)

It's not really canonical, in my mind. The willful anachronism, the blatantly incorrect color and placement of the watermarks, and the trivial, brainless gameplay effect of 3 free points all set up these tiles to be an object of ridicule. Now, as the CAR updater I will treat it as the publisher wants; they run the show. But as a player of the game and one who thinks aesthetics and theme should be defended, not crapped upon, I say it's rubbish.

Jungleboy has a seat waiting for him at my table. (Well, you all do, but he gets a few extra Oreos, without even asking.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:56:27 AM by Just a Bill »
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Extra Oreos, score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
I hadn't realized that was a rule now.  I'm going to keep a packet of biscuits under the table next time I play, so I can score them at the end of the game!

Extra Oreos, score!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Barbarian Report: Castles in Germany: German Lords in All the Wrong Places

Started by Whaleyland

0 Replies
Last post September 18, 2015, 07:30:49 PM
by Whaleyland
xx
The growing list of holy places and holy people

Started by cidervampire

1 Replies
Last post November 02, 2014, 08:35:22 AM
by SRBO
xx
UK Carcassonne: Mini Teams Tournament... places available!

Started by danisthirty

1 Replies
Last post February 04, 2022, 07:21:06 AM
by danisthirty
xx
CAR 7.5 Prep Discussion: Wheel of Fortune Version Comparison

Started by Just a Bill

19 Replies
Last post May 01, 2018, 11:53:14 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
RCA (the italian version of the CAR)