Poll

Which scoring method do you use when using Little Buildings?

All buildings earn the same points.
3 (16.7%)
Larger buildings earn more points.
8 (44.4%)
I use some other creative scoring mechanic (describe below).
0 (0%)
I don't ever play with or don't own Little Buildings.
7 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 17, 2015, 12:38:18 AM

Author Topic: Little Buildings – Element of the Week #43  (Read 10917 times)

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
Re: Little Buildings – Element of the Week #43
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 03:29:41 AM »
I enjoy the little buildings, but we rarely play with them. They add more strategy than initially meets the eye, if played well you can score them three or even four times. Couple this with the variation and it can net you a few points. In bigger games though, it's not really worth the trouble. We usually end up dishing them out and them forgetting to use them. Every now and then a player sticks one down, everyone else follows suit and then they're forgotten about again.

We tend to include them if we've decided to have a simple game, just the base and maybe one other.
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline ned_ballad

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 08:29:20 AM »
Looking at ebay for this expansion, it was more than I wanted to pay for some cardboard castles that don't even match the style of my game.

But one of the suggested items on ebay was some spare parts for Catan, which made me investigate into seeing if there was any game piece I could re-purpose to be a "Little Building." So I bought a few sets of neutral colored (brown) buildings from Catan for 7 dollars.

They work perfectly. I can't use the variant where different buildings are worth different amounts, because all the buildings look the same (I suppose I could tab a dot of paint on them if I wanted), but we still play with them being +1 point whenever the tile is scored.

We distribute them every game, they're always used in play, but we never seem to ever actually place them. Maybe once or twice they actually get used, but it's not like keeping them around actually slows the game down or anything.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:34:06 AM by ned_ballad »

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 02:15:48 PM »
Creative solution. For the record, you can buy Little Buildings on CundCo's website. Still, I like your idea. I'm sure there are other wood bits out there that could double as different sized-buildings, too. I've found that in my games, when we have extra placement options like Abbeys, Castles, Bridges, Little Buildings, German Castles, Halflings, etc., we rarely place them. I mean, usually one or two will make it out on the board, but for some reason that's it. Not sure why we're so opposed to placing non-draw bag elements. Even special meeples and non-meeples, like Pigs, don't always get played.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Little buildings - question

Started by Windekind

5 Replies
Last post December 10, 2019, 12:17:11 AM
by DrMeeple
xx
Little Buildings upgrades wanted

Started by oosie

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2017, 07:14:48 AM