Author Topic: Why and where to buy missing expansions  (Read 5775 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Why and where to buy missing expansions
« on: January 04, 2017, 02:51:19 AM »
but I think I got as much old art Carcassonne as I am going to get.   

What are you missing?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3063.0

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Re: Why and where to buy missing expansions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 04:09:31 AM »
I don't have the Tower, the Catapult, the Phantom, Wheel of Fortune, and a bunch of little rarities like Darmstadt and the Russian tiles.  There are other things that I don't have, but have something similar enough like Corn Circles 1 (I have 2) and Cathers (besiegers)

I really don't need any of it, but if I find a copy of the tower or catapult tucked away in a store I will probably give them my money.

Still I think I did a good job and lucked out getting what I have.  I don't need 100% completion.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:17:26 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 04:18:26 AM »
You should make sure your profile is up to date inase anyone has any spare copies of things you might want ;)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 04:22:34 AM »
I don't have the Tower, the Catapult, the Phantom, Wheel of Fortune, and a bunch of little rarities like Darmstadt and the Russian tiles.  There are other things that I don't have, but have something similar enough like Corn Circles 1 (I have 2) and Cathers (besiegers)

There are a lot of old art expansions still being sold in Spain. Not sure about shipping or whether you mind having a non-English edition, but in any case the Tower and Catapult are easy to find, e.g. Draco Tienda.

Tower: http://www.dracotienda.com/carcassonne-la-torre-p-6561.html
Catapult: http://www.dracotienda.com/carcassonne-la-catapulta-p-8835.html

Edit: Slightly cheaper at Juega Me Store:
Tower: http://www.juegamestore.es/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=80&search=carcassonne
Catapult (out of stock): http://www.juegamestore.es/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=768&search=carcassonne
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:32:47 AM by jungleboy »

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 05:01:57 AM »
And the Fantom (De Volgeling like it is called over here) and some mini's still available in Belgium as well for reasonable prices:

https://www.neverland.be/nl/Zoeken?keyword=carcassonne
http://www.spelgezel.be/spel-review/carcassonne-volgeling.asp?speelduur=&spelers=&leeftijd=alle

My collection is almost complete (I started in december 2015 with Big Box 5 and from then on the Carcassonne fever hit me hard) but when I cross these ones for a reasonable price, I might consider another investment:
- Tunnels
- Cathars or Besiegers
- Games Quarterly Expansion

After that, I can sleep peacefully...  :yellow-meeple:

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 05:54:13 AM »
Thanks Jungleboy and Thodekey, but the shipping kills it.  Also if I ever do complete my set, I will have no reason to enter random shops to look for them.   :))

I have extra vacation time this year.  Maybe I'll go shopping in Spain or Belgium. 

You should make sure your profile is up to date inase anyone has any spare copies of things you might want ;)

I wish there were more drop down options.  I have truly no interest in the phantoms, I really really want the Russian tiles, but I only sort of want the Tower.  My Count, King, and Robbers is still in shrink wrap.  I'm not sure if we will ever open it.  That was a "sort of want" purchase.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 09:21:47 AM »
I have truly no interest in the phantoms, I really really want the Russian tiles, but I only sort of want the Tower.  My Count, King, and Robbers is still in shrink wrap.  I'm not sure if we will ever open it.  That was a "sort of want" purchase.

You surprise me! What is it about the phantom that you don't like? A lot of people are very fond of these (myself included). The Tower has grown on me since my first few plays with it, and I'd go so far as to say that I actually quite like it now, even though it can be very brutal. And I don't think you're missing out on much with Count, King & Robbers apart from the King & Robber Baron tiles which reward whoever completes the longest road/ largest city with an end-game bonus...

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 09:35:07 AM »
River 2 is a good refinement on the River if you're a river fan and I love the use of Shrines to mess up some cloisters!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 09:39:08 AM »
I knew it was only a matter of time before you leapt to the defence of those cult places Decar!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 09:40:23 AM »
Said DanIsAHeritic ;)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 09:51:12 AM »
My Count, King, and Robbers is still in shrink wrap.  I'm not sure if we will ever open it.  That was a "sort of want" purchase.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this either. Since Dan and Decar have already come to the defence of the King and Robber Baron and the cult places, and the benefits of the River II are obvious, especially playing with the Dragon, I guess it's left to me to defend the Count. It's not a popular expansion but I like it when used with certain other elements - check out this post for more (and the post directly above it).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 09:57:06 AM by jungleboy »

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 10:08:02 AM »
The River II is why I bought the expansion.  Problem is the android game has that as the only river, so I am rather sick of it.  I have the Count and his tableux and we use it as a starting tile in friendly games. We have shrines too and no one dares put it near a cloister, so it doesn't get much play. 
I haven't played with the King or robber yet, so I can't really knock them too much.

I don't like the phantoms because there are no tiles.  I can use extra meeple if I want to do the same thing.

Sorry for being off topic.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:13:16 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline Danci

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 06:14:48 AM »
My first "old art" purchase of Carcassonne is on it's way! I was able to win an eBay bid on a new Carcassonne Big Box 3 for a decent price. Cheaper than the used one that was also offered. (Sadly there are no shops near me that sell old art Carcassonne that I know of like in Europe.) Unfortunately this BB3 did not contain a river expansion, which I love. Little did I know at the time how difficult and expensive it would be to find and purchase a river! (Thanks whaleyland for explaining about the different versions!) I would think the River II would be more difficult to find and expensive than River I, right? (That's the version I want, although it'd be great to have both.) I also think The Count, King, and Robbers has the River II,  so dirk2112 if you don't want that expansion let me know!  ^-^

I finally checked out the Cundco store! Lots of cool stuff with reasonable prices, but no rivers, and sold out of  The Count, King, and Robbers.  :-\  Any advice on where to get any of these and/or how much they should cost on eBay in $ would be great? Will the Cundco store ever get them again? Thanks for everyone's help!

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 07:32:15 AM »
My River 1 tiles from Dan's spare parts giveaway haven't been claimed yet.  Think long and hard if that is what you want.  There are other more rare offerings still available.

Offline Danci

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 08:29:06 AM »
Rare to me is the River! I need to collect something to offer in return first though. I already misspoke on that thread once before and am trying to mind my manners after my last post!  ::)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Why are the fanmade expansions not on BGG??

Started by jappie

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2015, 07:40:49 AM
by jappie
exclamation
Why endless expansions? Playing the Original - An opinion

Started by t2k

18 Replies
Last post March 29, 2021, 11:35:48 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
What make you to buy expansions over and over again

Started by danisthirty

6 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 11:56:02 AM
by Guesclin
xx
Who changed the Dragon rules, and why?

Started by PapaGeek

21 Replies
Last post January 17, 2022, 03:37:47 AM
by Sinscerly
xx
Why can't you capture pigs and builders with a tower?

Started by joe_abbot

3 Replies
Last post January 06, 2023, 08:21:44 AM
by kothmann