Author Topic: Other Hobbies than board games  (Read 39245 times)

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
Re: Other Hobbies than board games
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 06:24:12 PM »
Good idea kettlefish and neat to see what others are into.

Gardening is a big passion for us. We have a reasonable size garden then manage my mothers house and plot as well. We grow a good amount of produce and enough garlic to supply, all of us, for a whole year. (We dry and freeze the garlic when it starts to sprout).

Next, and maybe no surprise is cooking. My wife and I have a little dream fantasy of having a cafe.

Another passion of mine, is and isn't board game related, I enjoy miniature painting. Most of these never get played in games because they are more table top figures rather than board game models. I choose pieces that are interesting to me and find the concentration calming.
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 09:30:47 PM »
In my (now limited) free time, I generally work on my website and future sequel book at santacruztrains.com. I began the project back in 2011-2012 and now  include the railroading history of all of Santa Cruz County, a tiny bit of San Mateo and Santa Clara counties, and the coastal stretch of Monterey County.

I also published a book on the topic in March last year and I update the master for it about every four months to take into account new information, corrections, and random improvements (it's print-on-demand so I can update it whenever I want and don't have to handle inventory). Check it out: https://www.createspace.com/5330016.

Other than that, my main hobby is LEGO building and collection, but I am mostly on an imposed blackout regarding that due to my current residency in New Zealand. Hopefully once I get back to the US and find a job, I can resume collecting sets (I did manage to get all the Jurassic World sets and a few other ones. I plan to buy the two Star Wars Freemaker sets when they release this summer).

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 05:12:13 AM »
Great topic! :(y) I've been following it with interest, trying to decide what my hobbies actually are. The fact that I'm still struggling suggests that I don't have any outside of playing/ collecting Carcassonne and a few other board games. But then I'm reminded that hobbies require something called "spare time" (whatever this is), and I have very little of this to invest beyond the time I spend with these guys:

I think if I had a bit more time to myself there's a lot of stuff I'd be only too happy to get back into such as my running, rowing and writing. For the time being though, I couldn't be happier about being a very hands-on dad who loves spending time with his kids, even when it involves getting up at 5:30am every morning to play games or simply sit and watch cartoons. It's very rewarding of course, especially at this stage of life (kids are 5 and 2) but exhausting too. Relentlessly exhausting. Especially since we like to make the most of the weekends as a family and consequently have very little downtime then either... (I thought there was a smiley that had fallen asleep but apparently there isn't one, so please pretend there is and that I used it here)

As well as being a game that I enjoy playing, Carcassonne and my involvement with it through these forums is very much a form of escapism for me. It's my "me time" and I need it to remind me that I'm still an individual as well as a husband and a dad. In years to come, when the kids are too busy doing their own stuff to want to spend as much time with their dad as I will do with them, I'm sure I'll look back on this period of our lives together and be glad that I made the most of it. Plus I'll have time, money (maybe) and maybe even a little bit of sanity left to invest in a wider variety of me time. That's the plan anyway! :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 03:34:12 PM by danisthirty »

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
  • No, *you* haven't updated your profile yet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 05:30:48 AM »
Comic book collecting & reading. Largely Marvel, but I'm starting to sway more and more towards Image and other indie publishers.

With few exceptions, I'll grab digital copies of the individual issues when they come out, then buy physical copies once they're collected into tpbs. Then, once if the tpbs are collected into any larger volumes, I'll sell on the tpbs if they're unsigned and upgrade.

At my last count, I had around 200 books. I'm happy to stick up a COMC type post, if anyone's interested.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 07:33:56 AM »
One of my hobbies in the past couple of years has been learning about and engaging with medieval manuscripts. I have done numerous online courses related to this subject and I have been lucky enough to view and touch some manuscripts in person, such as at the Cambridge University Library last year and more recently at the National Library of Spain in Madrid a few weeks ago (for which I wrote a blog post here).

I do some volunteer work for the Estoria de Espanna project, which aims to take the various extant manuscripts of the 13th-century Estoria de Espanna (the first written history of Spain in Castilian that was produced under the auspices of King Alfonso X) and create a unified digital edition. For this project  I transcribe and digitally tag manuscript folios. I went to the project's colloquium in Seville last year and I am (apparently) delivering a paper for their colloquium this year in Birmingham in December.

Below you can see one folio of the 'Q' manuscript of the Estoria de Espanna (the one I saw in person in Madrid) to get an idea of the kind of documents I work with. It may look like illegible nonsense but it's definitely a fascinating hobby!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 07:36:58 AM by jungleboy »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 07:47:57 AM »
@Rosco - Looking at your last photo....I don't think drinking is a hobby :P :P :P

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 08:04:32 AM »
One of my hobbies in the past couple of years has been learning about and engaging with medieval manuscripts...

I enjoyed reading your blog post about this when you posted it on Facebook. Far too scholarly for me, but it looks very interesting and I can certainly understand the appeal! :)

@Rosco - Looking at your last photo....I don't think drinking is a hobby :P :P :P

I was more disturbed by the first one!

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 08:14:28 AM »
My non-boardgaming hobbies are micro/nanobrewery beer, cycling (to get/keep fit - not to scale Eiger Nordwand or the Alpe d'Huez or ride from Land's End to John O'Groats) astronomy & photography - though I've definitely let the photography & astronomy slide a lot over the last couple of years as I've spent more time cycling
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 05:59:22 AM »
Here are some more pictures from me:

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 06:19:17 AM »
You're very talented kettlefish!  The plants a really good. They look like anatomical diagrams from science books. Very accurate and detailed!  Are you sure that duck isn't a photo?  I like the bright fire in the bottom right too.

You must have spent hours on these!

Offline Endecay

• Labourer
  • Merit: 2
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 10:24:01 AM »
Playing one of the below and writing and singing stuff like this...

Which expansion today?

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 03:42:54 PM »
One of my Greatest hobbies besides board games, is that i'm actually a composer of piano music (some kind of modern classical genre).
I've created a book last year and i'm about to bring out another one.

When I've recorded some I will post it here!

And I like to read a lot.
Just doing "The Spook's" story from Joseph Delaney, I really like it.

If I did not have to work, I would definitly do a lot more, because I like to create things, (Art, Books, Music, and maybe in the future a board game)

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2016, 04:17:13 PM »
Like Dan having some spare time with the kids is my main hobby nowadays.

Nevertheless whenever I've some me time I do try to keep my hobbies going.
- I also love woodworking but after the kids were born, my wife doesn't allow me to fill in the apartment with sawdust any more, so now only small house improving projects are "allowed". My "Yet Another Wood Box" it's still one of my finest projects.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150831190369219.417651.674699218&type=1&l=1f43d33bb1

- I'm into outdoors, military history and military subjects in general so Airsoft came naturally as an hobby, unfortunately I managing to go less and less times since it usually takes a Sunday away of the family.

- Being a huge supporter of Estoril-Praia I'm a regular at stands anytime they play home, being know as "that guy" always complaining and yelling the profanities  :)>:D

I'm the guy on the center left waving our sh***y coach off.
And it's also a great hobby to do together with my oldest (after explaining to her that the stands are the only place were she is allowed to repeat daddy "badwords".

- With zero sports skills all my life, after making 32 I (re)discovered the fun of having a team and play sports regularly, so my most regular hobby  now is training football with a bunch of supporters and friends of the club, most of them more fat than me, 8) and I've to say it is a great fun especially on the monthly dinners we organize and when someone brings beer and snacks to the after-training :)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:53:59 PM by Decar »
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2016, 11:28:53 PM »
Hahahaha so many stories here of how your wives limit your freedom!

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2016, 01:13:47 AM »
Hahahaha so many stories here of how your wives limit your freedom!
It's always good to have an excuse for our responsibilities.
Makes me feel like I could still pull out one of those crazy all nighters from when I was 20......... if only she (life)let me.......emoji code12]

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
xx
Archived Other Games Board

Started by gantry

0 Replies
Last post February 08, 2013, 11:54:54 AM
by gantry
xx
Saint Nicholas Scoring Board why not Santa Claus scoring board?

Started by Windekind

7 Replies
Last post December 06, 2019, 12:31:54 AM
by Murphy013
clip
Topics: old board to new board

Started by gantry

0 Replies
Last post February 08, 2013, 07:12:03 PM
by gantry
xx
Can a Tower Floor capture more than one meeple?

Started by PapaGeek

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2022, 11:25:07 AM
by Meepledrone