Author Topic: cardboard upgraded to wood  (Read 12698 times)

Offline nl42247

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
cardboard upgraded to wood
« on: February 23, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »
I thought all that cardboard on the playing field made things confusing.
You should be able to see everything what's going on on the board in the blink of an eye. Or at least don't overlook things easily.
there for I changed some elements of the game from cardboard to wood.

I replaced castles, little buildings (houses), tunnel chips, the phantom and the teacher.
The teacher doesn't really count I suppose because it came already as an wooden figure in some packs of the school,
of course I was lucky enough to get that acryl phantom looking teacher instead of the nice wooden one But it's wood now so no crying.

All neutral pieces like little buildings (houses) and  castles I replaced with white wooden pieces because white isn't a standard color,
and let's be honest even if you added white pieces to your collection how many times you got that many players around the table?
And it isn't that easy to find all parts you want in a certain color so that's why it's white I preferred brown myself because of the towers and bridges.

The phantom I didn't even buy because I disliked the plastic that much but I found something in each color that did the trick.

Tunnels got changed right away to because of the red chips with the plague, maybe not nessecary, now the tiny things won't get lost  I tell myself.

Here some pictures (if I did it right) IN ANOTHER TOPIC WAS TO BIG

I did not replace the cardboard of the plague, because of confusing with the player red, and more importantly you would have to sticker them or write on them because of their different sides.

I was thinking about a pink pig for the pigs on the river tile, we sometime forget to count those so that would make it easier to remember.
And I'm not sure what to do with the new expansion shepard and hills (maybe not correct translation).
You still need the sheep and wolf to make an honest draw, but I already looked at wooden white sheep and found them. But will the board be getting to crowded then? The wolf is optional because it would never come on the board anyway. Maybe I just have to go with the cardboard like the plague, don't know yet.

And the cardboard from the catapult expansion, well every word you say about that one is a complete waste of your time.
I Just us the tiles it has some nice roads in it. The catapult itself is banned to the box with spare parts and things of the original game what i can't stand nor trow away.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=632.0

Offline Guesclin

• Vassal
  • Merit: 5
  • I haven't profiled my update yet!
    • View Profile
Re: cardboard upgraded to wood
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 10:35:45 AM »
Yeah, i got The same problem while using an Apple device. Use a Windows machine And you can easily do it.

Greets
Dddddeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrppp

Offline nl42247

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 12:48:34 PM »
first 2 pictures

Offline nl42247

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 12:51:25 PM »
next one

Offline nl42247

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 12:52:04 PM »
and another

Offline Guesclin

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »
Looks nice. I ordered some big alternative meeples and counters on the net also but forgot about those castle and little house thingies (dangit). I did found an alternative 4 the plague counters.
Also i'm replacing the trader tokens with wooden ones and the king and robber baron with big meeples. This is more of a psychological thing. People seem to be very pleased when they get goldbars because they are wooden pieces. Other players react to that since it looks like a player has
a lot of points. I was even thinking about changing the 50/100 point tiles with glass diamonds or something since it marks the better players as a target.

Where did u get the wooden pieces ?

Offline nl42247

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 03:09:27 PM »
We got the same mental problem. I thought about the plague before but couldn't come up with a good solution and I couldn't find a nice wooden token for the red trade good the cloth I think it is. I found the grain and barrel but couldn't settle for a red token I didn't like also color confusion with red player. So on that point I stuck to cardboard. The tiles I can live with by now, took some time.

I'm curious to your plague solution please post a picture.

All of the wooden pieces I got from 1 web shop www.spelspul.nl  it's in The Netherlands and it's all in Dutch but if you want I can help you contact the owner. It wasn't that expensive all the wooden pieces together maybe 10 15 euro about 15 20 USD. They ship cheap.

Offline Guesclin

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 08:46:24 AM »
Ik denk dat de verzendkosten wel meevallen   ;).
For the plague i ordered some tokens from http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/. I ordered the rounds with a skull on the sides. Still waiting 4 them. I will eithet use red varnish on one side to colour them red.

I'm thinking of also ordering the same stuff from spellstuf and maybe paint them metal. I quite liked what DRawfulMD did http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=624.msg6715#msg6715.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 08:58:58 AM »
In Germany we have: www.spielmaterial.de

At spielmaterial.de are many pieces for "pimp up my game"...

The wooden teacher is also a piece from spielmaterial.de

The original teacher from HiG is made by plastics and is a meeple figure.
HiG never produced a wooden teacher for the mini the school.
--------------------------
With the sheep and hills - the sheep token are different (one sheep, two - up to four sheep on one token).

Offline nl42247

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 10:19:46 AM »
I could be mistaken with the teacher, I saw them offered together on ebay the school with wooden teacher several times so I assumed that there were different original teachers. Could also be that those sellers had the same feeling about the plastic teacher and their for replaced it.

I'm aware of the different sheep tokens that's why I'm still not sure what to do with them. I think I try the expansion as it is first and decide later.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 10:41:37 AM »
I could be mistaken with the teacher, I saw them offered together on ebay the school with wooden teacher several times so I assumed that there were different original teachers. Could also be that those sellers had the same feeling about the plastic teacher and their for replaced it.
Some people at ebay bought for around 0,20 EUR this figure "man with hat" at spielmaterial.de and than they sold the figure "teacher" for around 8 EUR... All what such people like to do is to make as much profit as possible.

But I see, that spielmaterial.de has no more "man with hat" - they have only the "person with hat" now (0,13 EUR).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:45:09 AM by kettlefish »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 11:00:48 AM »
at spielmaterial.de you can find wooden tokens like:

grain
cloth
vine (barrel)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 11:10:01 AM »
Quote from: nl42247
And I'm not sure what to do with the new expansion shepard and hills (maybe not correct translation).
You still need the sheep and wolf to make an honest draw, but I already looked at wooden white sheep and found them. But will the board be getting to crowded then? The wolf is optional because it would never come on the board anyway.
The tokens with all the sheep and the two tokens with the wolves are in a cotton bag. Each round you draw a token from the bag (if you have already your shepheard placed on a tile). The token with the sheep are stacking as long as you like and don't draw a wolf from the bag, than you loose all the sheep token and possible points. The tokens with sheep and with wolf go back into the bag.

Offline Guesclin

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 02:17:31 PM »
Thanx kettlefish, great adress for getting stuff cheap. Cheers.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTB C1 Expansion 9 Hills & Sheep Box, Cardboard Insert and Instruction sheet

Started by dronedrone

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2023, 04:01:34 AM
by dronedrone
xx
Exchange of Teachers and Wood Abbot.

Started by quevy

12 Replies
Last post July 05, 2015, 11:13:44 AM
by quevy
xx
Catan: Wood vs. Plastic

Started by Carcking

11 Replies
Last post February 20, 2015, 01:40:07 PM
by Hounk
xx
What's your favourite piece of Carcassonne wood?

Started by jungleboy

15 Replies
Last post January 16, 2017, 12:03:32 PM
by Dragonlord
xx
Pimping your Wood Poll

Started by Decar

23 Replies
Last post September 08, 2017, 09:45:18 AM
by Decar