Author Topic: Carcassonne and extensions - Compatabilty  (Read 2670 times)

Offline GreyMeeple

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
Carcassonne and extensions - Compatabilty
« on: April 19, 2018, 02:30:42 PM »
I am should I read somewhere someone suggesting that certain extensions are not compatible with others. Can anyone suggest which can be mixed?

Adrian

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3926.0

Offline flipshot

• Freeman
  • Merit: 4
  • Is it time to play or sleep?
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne and extensions - Compatabilty
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 02:58:04 PM »
Excellent question. In some of the new small expansions, the rules specifically state that you should use these smaller expansions at your own risk with other large and small expansions since the publisher will not clarify any rules for this. That being said, the main problem with mixing expansions is that the added scoring/placement/etc rules compound together and may make it more confusing for some.

The basic guidelines are that you should have only one set of start tiles and discard all others. The base game comes with a single start tile. Other start tile sets include the River, the River II, The City of Carcassonne, The Markets of Leipzig, Wheel of Fortune, and a few others. Of course, many ignore these guidelines and just use whatever they want.

Exp 1 Inns and Cathedrals, Exp 2 Traders and Builders, Exp 5 Abbey and Mayor, and Exp 9 Hills and Sheep can usually be included with any other expansion without any trouble. Princess and Dragon, the Tower, Bridges Castles and Bazaars, and Under the Big Top are slightly more cumbersome with the rules and are usually less streamlined when diluted with a bunch of extra expansions thrown in.

Other small expansions like the Plague, the King, and some of the six minis become very unbalanced when you use too many expansions together. I find the best games for me are at most 2 large expansions and 1-3 small expansions. I like to play with everything too sometimes, but I usually forget steps and miscount scores or miss scoring opportunities entirely when I do this.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 11:27:54 PM »
The expansions halflings, German castles and markets of Leipzig all have non - standard tile sizes. This causes anomalies with other expansions such as princess and the Dragon and the plague.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 03:48:34 AM »
The expansions halflings, German castles and markets of Leipzig all have non - standard tile sizes. This causes anomalies with other expansions such as princess and the Dragon and the plague.

Great answer Halfling  :(y)  +1 merit from me
And don't forget the Watchtower rule, if there are any problems playing with anything but the base game "it is at your own risk"  :(y)

Offline Vinçon

• Vassal
  • Merit: 5
  • Why you have to be mad?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 01:05:20 PM »

Great answer Halfling  :(y)  +1 merit from me
And don't forget the Watchtower rule, if there are any problems playing with anything but the base game "it is at your own risk"  :(y)

We found it so confusing that, in fact, we ditched the Watchtower altogether.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Extensions The Tunnels and The Plague for sale

Started by lr

0 Replies
Last post March 10, 2022, 05:27:45 AM
by lr
clip
Where can I find such extensions for Carc 2

Started by Realizt

37 Replies
Last post May 08, 2020, 10:31:18 AM