Poll

Which expansion would you like to play in the next "expansion league" competition? (select 2)

Inns & Cathedrals
12 (35.3%)
The Princess & The Dragon
5 (14.7%)
The Tower
4 (11.8%)
Abbey & Mayor
10 (29.4%)
Bridges, Castles & Bazaars
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: February 04, 2015, 07:57:14 AM

Author Topic: The Next Expansion League  (Read 8304 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: The Next Expansion League
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 02:57:18 AM »
I think “apathy” is well used in that context. It’s not that I don’t like Inns & Cathedrals, it’s just that I was hoping for something with the potential to really make things interesting when played competitively against a range of opponents. For example, even though I’m hopeless with it I would rather everyone had voted for The Tower as I think it could be fun/ infuriating in a tournament and would be a good learning opportunity for those of us who seem to get more meeples kidnapped than seems reasonable! Likewise, I think Abbey & Mayor could be fantastic as it adds so much to the game and increases the number of options you have/ things to think about. I’m sure we’ll have time to play these later in the year though...

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 06:03:32 AM »
Well, I understand your point. For me, I&C rather improve the base game, but does not alter it really in any way, other than it makes roads maybe a little more worth them. The other expansions rather make them each a different game.

But I was assuming, that they all will be played afterwards anyway, so nothing to be missed. And in case farin adds H&S and Count into the game, there might even be two more options. Or we could add a combination of a few minis anyway in later tournaments. But since I would not like to completely skip I&C, I see no reason, why it should not be selected for the next round?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 06:19:19 AM »
But I was assuming, that they all will be played afterwards anyway, so nothing to be missed. And in case farin adds H&S and Count into the game, there might even be two more options. Or we could add a combination of a few minis anyway in later tournaments. But since I would not like to completely skip I&C, I see no reason, why it should not be selected for the next round?

Very true. Although I'll run a poll such as this before each expansion league, the idea is that all of them will have their chance eventually. Perhaps when we run out of major expansions supported by JCZ we could have another poll to choose from the minis and then hold a league based on the 2 or 3 most popular suggestions from that. Something to think about anyway!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 09:35:58 AM »
I'd rather have played a less common expansion, but happy to play anything at the end of the day.  I do wonder if perhaps Dragons/Towers/Bazaars would be preferable for 3+ player games rather than 2 players.  I'm not sure how the tournament rounds / scheduling 3+ people would work though.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 01:09:23 PM »
I do wonder if perhaps Dragons/Towers/Bazaars would be preferable for 3+ player games rather than 2 players.
I have heard (can't say that from experience), that especially the bazaars should rather make no sense with just two players. So yes, I would prefer to have the number of players optimized to the played expansion. Three player games in leagues could be implied with the same modus as now by building three groups rather than two. This would also reduce the size of the groups and therefor the number of combinations to play. But for now, with I&C, two player games are perfect anyway.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
What next for the Expansion League series?

Started by danisthirty

24 Replies
Last post July 01, 2016, 08:16:29 AM
by Jéré
question
Poll: Next Expansion League

Started by MrNumbers

49 Replies
Last post May 30, 2017, 10:08:05 AM
by danisthirty
xx
The Next Expansion League (Again)

Started by danisthirty

28 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 09:12:51 AM
by Decar
xx
The Next Basegame League - Duplicate Decks

Started by Decar

19 Replies
Last post June 26, 2017, 01:25:45 PM
by Decar
xx
The next new edition (mini)expansion will be... (3)

Started by NGC 54

4 Replies
Last post November 24, 2020, 04:42:33 AM
by Bumsakalaka