Author Topic: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVII  (Read 34853 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVII
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2017, 06:16:36 AM »
If you think there was foul-play, it's important you say so, so evidence can be collected and  investigated.

On one occasion this year. I pulled the car over into a layby to answer a question promptly.  On the 21st I happened to be reading through my unread threads when Dan posted and i knew the answer without having to check.

I've always thought that one of the most positive things CarcC could bring to the world of gaming was it's inclusivity.  Dan's contests are a fantastic embodiment of these ideals. He looks to make sure the members here are the answers to the questions. So even the smallest contribution to the community can be included and remembered.

If it's so important to you, that you need to consider other ways of scoring, just so I can't win even before the final results are out, I'd rather not have taken part at all.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2017, 06:24:58 AM »
If you think there was foul-play, it's important you say so, so evidence can be collected and  investigated.

I hope i didnt insinuate that i believed that there is foul play! Because i dont, i like this quiz! :)
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2017, 06:32:33 AM »
Everyone is a winner.  The game gave us something to look forward to every day as a build up to Christmas. 

Thanks again Dan!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2017, 06:36:11 AM »
Decar, I think you have misunderstood.  I don't think he meant anything like that at all.  Just a little envious of your talent!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2017, 06:52:25 AM »
Decar, I think you have misunderstood.  I don't think he meant anything like that at all.  Just a little envious of your talent!
This.

I am sorry, if I made you think that I doubt your [or anyone's else] fair play: I am sure everything is right on that side. I am just surprised on your outstanding performance, which could mean that your dedication to Carcassonne, Forum, Christmas, Dan (underline whatever applicable :D) could be the reason to be envy ;D
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2017, 04:17:24 PM »
I think with this many people taking part (some of whom were taking it more seriously than others) very quick response times are to be expected. And sometimes someone will simply happen to be in the right place at the right time!

But anyway, since it was a very quick response (and yet, not actually the fastest!) I've posted the below screenshots just to set everyone's minds at rest.

Question posted:

Question answered (PM):

However, considering the number of participants I do agree that the scoring system should be modified at least to 1st = 4, 2nd = 3, 3rd = 2, 4th and all others = 1. I also have something else in mind to liven up the scoring a little but I'll share that with you in time for the next advent quiz!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2017, 02:07:47 AM »
Time for the last few questions. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...

Q22:
2017 wasn't a particularly busy year for most of us in terms of sharing details of what else we like to do in our free time, but a few people provided some insight. One of our number not only described what an "abhanga" is (for those of us who had been wondering), but also provided us with a sample of their poetry which included a liturgical prayer inspired by Donald Trump ::). Who was this?

After the question21gate scandal of yesterday I decided to ask a much easier question today and even left some giveaway search terms in the question to make it easy for everyone. But was it easy enough? Yes. The answer was stalcupojoy!

Winning response time was: 1m47s

Scores update after Q22:

Decar:   +1(38)
Leven:   +1(30)
Piet_Agoras:   +1(30)
Willem:   +1(29)
MrNumbers:   +1(27)
ny1050220:   +1(25)
Rich_The_Fish:   +1(25)
thodekey:   +1(25)
Rosco:   +3 8)(24)
sinscerly:   +1(24)
dirk2112:   +2 :)(23)
Squiffything:   +1(23)
chrismalenurse:   +1(22)
Xanderx12:   +1(22)
Ivano:   +1(21)
txema25:   +1(21)
Halfling:   +1(20)
SamoolSamosa:   +1(9)
Rickk:   +0 :((6)
Just a Bill:   +0 :((2)
kettlefish:   +0 :((1)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2017, 03:19:15 AM »
Q23:
Every now and then, our Carcassonne-related discussions can occasionally wander off-track into somewhat unexpected territory. Fortunately however, MrNumbers is determined to keep things Carcassonne, and is always on hand to swoop in and split unrelated posts off into seperate threads when we least expect it! C:-) The resulting spin-off threads can seem a little random, but I always enjoy reading the hilarious topic names that they've been given! :)) One such thread started off as a discussion around the GQ#11 expansion and how it can be used to kill birds, with jungleboy cruelly suggesting that carrots should be sacrificed instead. :'( But who was it that shared a self-defence against fresh fruit video on the same thread?

I couldn't have let this classic Monty Python clip slip through the advent quiz unnoticed. Many thanks to thodekey for bringing it up! But on a slightly more serious note, be careful of those raspberries folks, it's a jungle out there...

Winning response time was: 2m35s

Scores update after Q23:

Decar:   +1(39)
Leven:   +1(31)
Piet_Agoras:   +1(31)
Willem:   +2 :)(31)
MrNumbers:   +1(28)
sinscerly:   +3 8)(27)
ny1050220:   +1(26)
Rich_The_Fish:   +1(26)
thodekey:   +1(26)
Rosco:   +1(25)
dirk2112:   +1(24)
Squiffything:   +1(24)
chrismalenurse:   +1(23)
Xanderx12:   +1(23)
Ivano:   +1(22)
txema25:   +1(22)
Halfling:   +1(21)
SamoolSamosa:   +0 :((9)

3 way tie for second place!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2017, 05:28:23 AM »
Q24:
I've really enjoyed reading about everyone's different Christmas traditions and festive shenanigans this year, and was especially impressed by some of the Carcassonne-themed tree decorations! With this in mind, who likes to invade German Cathedrals with their little metal meeples?

I told you where to look. I told you what to look for. And by Jove, (almost all of) you found it! The answer to this one was: franks.

As John Lennon almost sang: "So, that was Christmas. And how have you done?" Have a look below to find out...

Winning response time was: 1m12s

Scores update after Q24:

Decar:   +1(40)
Willem:   +3 8)(34)
Leven:   +1(32)
Piet_Agoras:   +1(32)
MrNumbers:   +1(29)
sinscerly:   +1(28)
ny1050220:   +1(27)
Rich_The_Fish:   +1(27)
thodekey:   +1(27)
Rosco:   +1(26)
dirk2112:   +1(25)
Squiffything:   +1(25)
Xanderx12:   +2 :)(25)
chrismalenurse:   +1(24)
Ivano:   +1(23)
txema25:   +1(23)
Halfling:   +1(22)
SamoolSamosa:   +0 :((9)

Congratulations to Decar on his impressive final score and some even more impressive (and legitimate) response times. Congrats also to Willem for following so hotly on his heels and to Leven and Piet_Agoras for sharing the third place on the podium. But overall, congratulations to everyone who took part as that really is what this quiz was all about! :)

- 441 answers were provided via something like 420 PMs over 24 days!
- 18 people successfully answered all questions (8 of whom provided 100% correct responses :(y))
- 18 prizes will be provided (stay tuned for news of this)

I hope you all had as much fun answering the questions as I did asking them; it's been a joy and a privilege serving as your quiz host for this short time! C:-) And now that 2018 is almost upon us, I'm hoping that you guys will make my life as easy as possible by filling Carcassonne Central with cool, interesting and fun things over the coming year for me to ask questions about in the 2018 advent quiz! CarcC is what we make it, so make it something we can all be proud of and enjoy together...

Wishing a happy, healthy and successful 2018 to you all, and your families and loved ones! :blue-meeple:

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2017, 05:57:12 AM »
A great finish Willem!  I'm lucky there are only 24 days to suffer sleep deprivation (among other things) through.

Thanks again for hosting the highlight of 2017 Dan!

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2017, 06:00:32 AM »
Thanks Dan. I believe my score shows that I at least wasn't stalking you this month.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Xanderx12

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 1
  • Meh
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2017, 06:35:24 AM »
By participating in this, I almost feel that I grew up in this forum ;_;

Again, thank you very much Dan for dedicating your time to us  :(y) U r tha best bro :,)

I'm beginning to believe that you have serious mental OCD problems in having so much conviction and passion in handling an event of such magnitude and complexity  :o Anyway, we love you Dan <3  :white-meeple:

btw, nerf Decar  >:D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:13:50 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2017, 09:03:45 AM »
Thank you Dan for all the fun you brought us this year with your advent quiz. It was super fun  :neutral-meeple:

I would congratz Decar for all those ninja skills of you.
So maybe for us all we can better let you play with other ninja's than this quiz ;D Here is already a new friend for you:

Or we can use Xanderx thing  >:D
btw, nerf Decar  >:D

HAPPY NEW YEAR for the people that live in a TimeZone GMT+7 or higher.
And all the others where it still have to come HAPPY NEW YEAR
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »
I'll be waiting:

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2018, 07:56:46 AM »
I'm sure I've said this privately, but maybe not publicly - thanks very much for organising this Dan. I enjoyed participating each day and recapping various events from the year. I was just wondering if there was any news on the prizes Dan (particularly with seeing you soon)?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXI

Started by Meepledrone

223 Replies
Last post April 11, 2022, 02:20:34 PM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXIX

Started by Meepledrone

151 Replies
Last post October 29, 2021, 08:41:39 AM