Author Topic: New Art Colour Matching.... (or lack thereof)  (Read 4686 times)

Offline Clownfeet

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 11
  • I have updated my profile now!
    • View Profile
New Art Colour Matching.... (or lack thereof)
« on: May 11, 2016, 01:26:55 PM »
So, i was chatting with Decar in the Japanese Temples thread about colour matching on the new art expansions. Said i'd put together a small picture board as i have them all. Been away on holidays but got back yesterday and had a free evening tonight. So here we are:

1 - First up we have the Labyrinth which doesn't match ANYTHING. Hold up...i've used the wrong Labyrinth tile haven't i.....ok, ignore the labyrinth stuff on here! I'm still jetlagged.

2 - The next four vertical tiles are the base tiles from the new art game. The third column is the Princess and dragon tiles

doesn't look TOO bad but the grass is a tiny bit off and the city is fairly different. As a side note i LOVE the new dragon and volcano icons. Here's a close up of the cities together:

3 - i added in the next column which is Traders and Builders. The light here actually doesn't make it look too bad. But you can really tell the difference on those cities.

Here's a close up of the mismatch - it really is a terrible colour difference and very noticeable.:

4 - i added on inns and cathedrals - the greens match quite well but definitely aren't perfect with P&D - but with the cathedral you will see a big difference in colour against P+D cities

5 - So i then added another column of Princess and Dragon just to show how much the colours are off, especially against that nice dark brown cathedral.

It's not even close....here's a closer look:

6 - I added the river in as well where it looks like quite a good match. The greens of the river are definitely off a bit, but the cities are strange. they seem to be halfway between P+D and the others - maybe it is just the art which makes them look a little lighter?

7 - and then we have the Japanese temples....oh dear. Those greens are way off. (apologies for not matching up the tiles with correct rules here but it was a bit tough with the river!!!)

They don't match anything....:

and the Spiel tiles are again a different green.

Summary - it's a real shame. This was a chance, after the many expansions and promos inevitably had some colour differences in the old style, to start afresh and make sure everything matches. Unfortunately many of them are all different.

Here's the album if you want to see the higher res pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/GIXsU

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2726.0
must...collect...more...tiles....

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: New Art Colour Matching.... (or lack thereof)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 01:37:32 PM »
Great work, so many shades of brown and green it's a nightmare!  +1 for your detailed analysis!

There's one small light at the end of that tunnel:

I've now counted 5 different species (and shades) of grass in my garden and that doesnt account for the dead bits the dog has killed!

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 01:42:05 PM »
I am red/green colour blind. Which tile is off colour? They all look orange to me.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 01:49:03 PM »
On your foto's it looks even worse then the normal carcassonne  :o I did not expect that!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 02:07:35 PM »
Cool analysis, merit for you. I'm one of the biggest 'critics' of non-matching colours in Carcassonne 1, so it's definitely something that bugs me. I don't own / care for Carcassonne 2, but it sucks for those of you who do and who expected that they would resolve the matching problems in v2.0.

Per kettlefish's post in another thread, the change in city colour for P&D was a specific request of KJW. This is pretty interesting as it shows that the colour difference in this case was deliberate, and that deliberately changing a shade midway through the production of expansions shows, in my view, that HiG does not care about these colour differences nearly as much as some of us here. The 'you can mix old and new artwork' doctrine also shows this, although maybe they don't really believe that you can mix old and new, and just pretended you could to sell more copies of Carc 2.0.

The other point to make is that to my eyes, the P&D city colour is much nicer than the base game and first two expansions. My three biggest issues with the look of Carcassonne 2 have always been the city colour, the field colour and existence of gardens. So if the new city colour is here to stay (e.g. for a potential Big Box), and KJW can just wish away the field colour and the gardens, then I'm in! :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:09:15 PM by jungleboy »

Offline Clownfeet

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 11
  • I have updated my profile now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 02:13:30 PM »
I am red/green colour blind. Which tile is off colour? They all look orange to me.

halfling - if you look at the first photo under number 5. Columns 2 and 5 (starting from the left and ignoring labyrinth) are the princess and dragon columns and have different brown city colours. It is especially noticeable in the very bottom right two tiles - So 5C and 5D (i know that in excel the columns and rows are the other way round but i started with that nomenclature so ill stick with it!)

The other point to make is that to my eyes, the P&D city colour is much nicer than the base game and first two expansions. My three biggest issues with the look of Carcassonne 2 have always been the city colour, the field colour and existence of gardens. So if the new city colour is here to stay (e.g. for a potential Big Box), and KJW can just wish away the field colour and the gardens, then I'm in! :)

I agree, the P+D brown is definitely the nicest of all the shades. I'm guessing they will go with that in future. That cathedral square is so dark and looks strange.

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 01:13:34 AM »
The P&D brown is much nicer. I'm hoping they'll print the other expansions in this colour when they release a big box.
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Colour Matching of Princess & Dragon 2.0

Started by totor66

30 Replies
Last post April 24, 2016, 01:55:49 PM
by Hounk
xx
New Art vs Original Art Dividers

Started by Clownfeet

15 Replies
Last post July 14, 2016, 02:47:23 AM
by lomdr
xx
New Art vs Old Art...a Solution

Started by Reggie777

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2015, 08:31:46 AM
by Hounk
clip
Favouritism Poll #8 : Large Expansion Box Art (Old Art)

Started by dirk2112

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2017, 07:16:40 AM
by Karcalijn
xx
7th and 8th player meeple colour

Started by ymbuser

14 Replies
Last post April 28, 2022, 09:43:25 AM
by cicerunner