Author Topic: 2016 World Cup - Knock-Out Stage  (Read 22702 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: 2016 World Cup - Knock-Out Stage
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2016, 01:20:18 AM »
Thank you, Jéré, for wonderful write-up and congratulations for reaching the final!

On a side note: as I can see from QF results and one SF game - selected expansions work quite good together and not dis-balance the game.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2016, 01:12:22 PM »
Leven and khalidqasrawi are playing the 2nd game in the semi finals.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2016, 02:43:54 PM »
They have started with playing at around 9:10 pm - and they are still playing - around  16-17 tiles left.

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2016, 03:49:26 PM »
Finished... after almost 3 hours.   ???
I'm in the final which will be a rematch of our group game with Jéré.

Final score:
:red-meeple: khalidqasrawi vs  :violet-meeple: Leven 159:193

Now it's too late for writing up a report, maybe tomorrow.

EDIT:
According to the video recording, the duration of the game was actually 3 hours and 5 minutes. :P
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 04:18:01 PM by Leven »

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2016, 04:24:34 PM »
If you are interested, the 5x timelapse video recording of this semi final game can be watched here:

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2016, 03:40:14 AM »
Congratulations also to Leven! Now it's time to determine the best Carcassonne Central player in 2016! :D
Expansions for the final are:
Traders and Builders + The Princess and The Dragon + Abbey and Mayor + Bridges, Castles and Bazaars + The Count of Carcassonne (tiles only) + The River II + The Besiegers + The Festival + GQ11 + The Phantom.
If SF with 134 tiles were played ~3 hours, I don't know how long 188-tile game will be ???

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2016, 04:38:52 AM »
Gratutlations to Jéré and Leven - you both will get a hard fight for the win in the final.

Yesterday evening/night in the chatroom there was a discussion:
Is there a plan for a game play for the 3rd place?

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2016, 04:53:55 AM »
If SF with 134 tiles were played ~3 hours, I don't know how long 188-tile game will be ???
And how can we convince anyone to help our preparation with a practice game.  ;D

@Jéré: what are my chances in the final according to ELO ratings?  :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 04:55:26 AM by Leven »

Offline JoeSesquipedalian

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
  • ǝuuossɐɔɹɐɔ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2016, 10:03:42 AM »
I played a hell of a game last night against Joe. I felt I was in trouble the entire game and Joe played so well. The final score (211-183 in my favor) does not give you the whole portrait of the match... with 3 tiles to play, if I remember well, score was 98-97 for Joe. Although Joe is a newcomer and started in the Welcome Tournament this year, in my opinion he was a good candidate to repeat Merlin's achievement and win this World Cup. He was constantly making good decisions, he was certainly not there to be a tourist! :)

Early in the game, Joe occupied a german monastery which I tried to capture the whole game but failed so at the end it was a very good investment for him (30 pts, the highest amount of points for a single feature in this game, including fields). I was more agressive than him to capture meeples with towers but at some point I had only one tower piece left and Joe had still 6 or 7... I was really worried about that because I had made that mistake before in the tower league to spend all my tower pieces too early in the game... I felt that most of the game it was difficult to get some results, not complaining about being unlucky, but from the start of the game I had the feeling that "Oh shit, nothing really works" but that's the way it is with the tower, you make plans only to see everything colapse right before your eyes. That feeling is generally shared by both players anyway, but perhaps it was emphasised when I saw Joe collecting more gold and getting the 2 cathedrals. Nobody scored cathedral cities during the game and I managed to escape from one (or both, can't recall) that we couldn't complete (although I wasn't so sure about that!) using the festival. Speaking of I&C, our big meeples didn't play a big role: Joe tried to steal a field on the right side but I blocked him so we both scored 12 pts for separate fields. I stole a road with inn towards the end with mine, which was a risky move because my big meeple was the last meeple in my supply.

Towards the end, I got good tiles. I managed to place a guy on a german monastery with the flier for 16 pts! It was of course a bit lucky but the tile (ffff) wasn't so useful elsewhere and I had nothing to lose so I did it! Also was very pleased to get the tile to claim an unoccupied road with inn for an additional 10 pts. All this with the last tiles of the game and while I had meeple shortage! Meanwhile, Joe had quite a few followers left and was trying to claim as many unoccupied (small) fields as possible. He got a good tower tile to remove my big meeple from the (not-so-big-but-interesting-enough) main field and soon after I had my revenge and also removed his farmer from there using my very last tower piece that I had kept for a long time, leaving only one of mine to win the field (21 pts). That was possibly the killer move, as Joe did not recover from that. All in all, it has been a VERY TENSE and exhausting game (I think about 2 hours and a half!!). Thanks Joe for the game. You played extremely well and would have deserved a better fate... and yes, I had trouble to sleep after the game. ;)

Thanks for a great game Jéré and an excellent write-up!  The game definitely took a toll on us both, very intense as well as fun.   Good luck to you Jéré in your final against Leven.   :):green-meeple:

Who got a smudge on the tile?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2016, 02:11:23 PM »

Final score:

EDIT:
According to the video recording, the duration of the game was actually 3 hours and 5 minutes. :P

Congratulations, you certainly deserve a place in the final after seeing how you turned that game with What If? around - well done! This said, I think khalid would have been equally deserving of a place after the number of times he's thrashed me in practice games recently! A shame, there could only be one winner, but thanks and well done to both players...

Yesterday evening/night in the chatroom there was a discussion:
Is there a plan for a game play for the 3rd place?

Yes. In both previous years there has been a game to decide 3rd/ 4th using the same tiles as in the final. The same should definitely be true this year: khalid vs. JoeSesquipedalian. :(y)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 11:30:44 AM »

@Jéré: what are my chances in the final according to ELO ratings?  :)

Face-to-Face Elo comparison before the FINAL:

Leven (1405) vs. Jéré (1374)
Arpad Elo's prediction: Leven has 54% chance of winning the match (but his prediction is totally biased because he is also from Hungary! :-X)

Offline khalidqasrawi

• Duke
  • Merit: 9
  • Never deplete - always complete
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2016, 08:49:27 AM »

Final score:

EDIT:

Congratulations Leven.  You were winning all the way.  Good luck in your final.

I have to say I was a little sad not to make it to the final but Leven played the stronger game.  I spent too much of the game undoing earlier mistakes.  We had some battles but I think Leven just had better strategy.  He kept his largely off the table for the first half of the match.  He always worked the tiles to hinder and frustrate my expansive style and his farms just worked out better.  I played a few practice matches and worked on the power of the gold bars.  He was very conservative about placing them and put many out of reach so that I ended up without a chance to grow my pile.  For most of the match my only hope was the remaining RFFF monastery filling the hole next to my existing monastery.  Leven got that with 3 tiles remaining.

I'm happy to play for 3rd place and can offer training matches to the finalists.

:red-meeple:

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2016, 11:21:24 AM »
Is there a plan when the final games will take place?

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2016, 01:47:45 PM »
Presumably on Dec 18 or 19 (or both :) ).

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2016, 02:17:23 PM »
Presumably on Dec 18 or 19 (or both :) ).

Or both... Haha yes that could happen! Tentative time would be 20:00 CET for Leven and 14:00 EST for me.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2015 World Cup of Carcassonne Central - Knock-Out Stage

Started by danisthirty

160 Replies
Last post February 08, 2017, 02:46:16 PM
by danisthirty
clip
2017 World Cup - Knock-Out Stage

Started by MrNumbers

121 Replies
Last post May 23, 2018, 02:54:30 AM