Author Topic: Walk The Plank  (Read 1677 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Walk The Plank
« on: February 04, 2016, 05:57:42 AM »
I've joined a weekly gaming group with a couple of friends who are into similar boardgames to me. We met up for the first time on Tuesday this week and started off by playing a few rounds of a game called "Walk The Plank". 8)

It's a simple card game where you have to force your opponent's pirates off the end of the plank and ultimately be the last person left with any pirates still on the pirate ship. All players (there were four of us) have three pirates which start on the ship and a deck of cards from which they must choose three cards to place in front of them in the order in which they will be played at the start of each round. Then, once everyones cards are in front of them, you all turn your first cards over in play order, then second cards, then third cards and act on the cards as they're played.

The cards all have different effects such as pushing other players pirates one step closer to the sea, retracting/ shortening the plank, extending the plank or running back to the ship (there were others). Sometimes, cards that might be of benefit under certain circumstances might actually work against you if the situation you find yourself in when it's played isn't one that you'd planned for! ::)

There wasn't a lot of strategy to it, and after winning the first game purely by chance I quickly discovered that it's very easy to be eliminated from a game if everyone else gangs up against you! It was quite good fun though, and I enjoyed the concept of trying to predict what cards others were going to play, how others would react to that and then what I could do to best improve my position if all that actually happened!

Overall, it was a short but fun game, and one that you can definitely play half a dozen times or so with casual/ non-gamers before it got boring. Well, I could anyway. I think it would go down well with my colleagues who play games as well, so I'm on the lookout for a copy of my own now... :(y)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2417.0

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter