Poll

How do you primarily use The Sheep?

As a means to earn a few quick points.
4 (26.7%)
To push my luck and try to earn many points.
7 (46.7%)
To deprive opponents of points by hoping to draw a Wolf.
0 (0%)
I use it in some other creatively strategic manner (describe below).
0 (0%)
I don't ever play with or don't own Hills & Sheep (Expansion #9).
4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: March 13, 2015, 01:29:01 PM

Author Topic: The Sheep – Element of the Week #26  (Read 8837 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
The Sheep – Element of the Week #26
« on: March 06, 2015, 12:29:01 PM »
ELEMENT OF THE WEEK: THE SHEEP

Each week, a specific element from an expansion is chosen for deeper discussion. This is an opportunity for you, Carcassonne's biggest English-language fans, to discuss strategies and problems you have encountered through the years regarding specific expansion elements. All forms of critique – from the most joyous to the most scathing – are encouraged.

This week's element is THE SHEEP (from Hills & Sheep [Expansion #9]). This expansion in general came as a bit of a surprise when it was announced and its mechanics were and have been praised since the expansion released. The Sheep, which is one half of the title, offers players a new option when they don't have much else to do and they've just expanded a Field. A player can place a Shepherd on the Field, turning it into a Pasture (it can still be a Farm, too). When the Shepherd is placed, a Sheep token is drawn from a bag and placed in the Field too. Now, every time that player decides there's nothing better to do and they've expanded that Field, they can draw another Sheep token. They can do this forever, but there are two Wolves in the bag that will destroy the flock, rendering the Shepherd worthless. Thus, as an alternative action, players may choose to score for their Shepherds instead of adding new Sheep. Each Sheep in the Pasture (not each Sheep token, but the printed Sheep on the tokens) is worth 1 point.

This is an innovative expansion that adds a little risk for a little reward. It can potentially pay out much better than Wheel of Fortune. The Sheep have also been embraced by other expansions, with the new version of The River I having a Sheep printed on one of its tiles and Halflings II also featuring a tile with a Sheep. This suggests that Hans im Glück considers the expansion both a new "core expansion" and one that should not conflict with any others. This devotion to their newest large expansion is impressive, and it seems warranted. The Sheep are an easy element to add into any Carcassonne game and one that should not be alienated from your collection. That being said, the risk of drawing a Wolf token is sometimes too high for some players and the slightly fiddly rules regarding when you can add to your Pasture may confuse some players. Discuss your relationship with The Sheep, as well as your strategies for taking advantage of this element.

Next Week: The Festival  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1596.0

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: The Sheep – Element of the Week #26
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 01:30:19 PM »
Own it as separate expansion and as Big Box. Just haven't gotten a chance to play with.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline DLloyd09

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 02:18:04 PM »
I love the sheep, particularly because pressing our luck tends to work out great for me and poorly for my husband!

But in all seriousness, it's really nice to have an extra thing to do when putting a follower down doesn't seem worth it. However, the ZMG rules regarding shepherd placement are really busted. It's essential when playing this to use the HiG rules only.

Offline Frommarn91

• Villein
  • Meep! Meep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 12:13:50 PM »
I love the sheep, particularly because pressing our luck tends to work out great for me and poorly for my husband!

But in all seriousness, it's really nice to have an extra thing to do when putting a follower down doesn't seem worth it. However, the ZMG rules regarding shepherd placement are really busted. It's essential when playing this to use the HiG rules only.

In what way is the rules different regarding shepherd placement? Was awhile since I last played with this expansion.

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 03:54:15 PM »
to see if I explained well ...

when I place a tile ( a road with curve for example) I can place the pastor and take the bag , but I can also place a meeple on the road or field? I think not

and secondly if I have a herd (6 points for example)
and I put a tile field Shepherd ( I can choose between catching bag or tell me ) if I decide to tell me , I can use the last tile to place a meeple ???
thx
When you lose, do not look at what you lost, but what's left to win ..

Offline DLloyd09

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 06:29:10 PM »

In what way is the rules different regarding shepherd placement? Was awhile since I last played with this expansion.

ZMG rules require you expand your flock first if you expand your field, and then second you can place a follower. HiG rules require that you place a follower first before expanding your flock. The consequence of the ZMG rules is that you can expand your flock, draw a wolf, get run out of the field, and then immediately put your shepherd BACK into the field, which lets you draw another token from the bag. It majorly minimizes the risk of drawing, and almost completely eliminates the risk of having another player steal a field out from under you with their shepherd, which can (and should!) happen in the HiG rules.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 08:49:06 PM »

ZMG rules require you expand your flock first if you expand your field, and then second you can place a follower. HiG rules require that you place a follower first before expanding your flock. The consequence of the ZMG rules is that you can expand your flock, draw a wolf, get run out of the field, and then immediately put your shepherd BACK into the field, which lets you draw another token from the bag. It majorly minimizes the risk of drawing, and almost completely eliminates the risk of having another player steal a field out from under you with their shepherd, which can (and should!) happen in the HiG rules.

Looks like they have made the correction on the ZMG - H&S on-line rules:

http://zmangames.com/rulebooks/Carcassonne_Exp9.pdf

Tending the flock: Whenever a player places a tile that expands the field occupied by her own shepherd, she must choose one of two different actions (after placing a follower, or not, according to the normal rules):
• Grow the flock (draw another token from the bag) OR
• Gather the flock (score points)
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline DLloyd09

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 08:51:46 PM »

Good to know; consider my objection withdrawn. My paper version is the old version of the rule, and I'm glad they've since fixed it. I use the CAR as the definitive guide anyway!

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 11:27:58 AM »
Looks like they have made the correction on the ZMG - H&S on-line rules:

http://zmangames.com/rulebooks/Carcassonne_Exp9.pdf

Tending the flock: Whenever a player places a tile that expands the field occupied by her own shepherd, she must choose one of two different actions (after placing a follower, or not, according to the normal rules):
• Grow the flock (draw another token from the bag) OR
• Gather the flock (score points)

Good catch! I hadn't noticed that ZMG had made the correction. Although going back through my files, this is ZMG's 3rd version of the rules. Version 2 had the correct sequence of events too, but some of the wording in other areas was different. In any event, I have updated the CAR.

Edit: I was incorrect about the versions of the rules. What I thought was Z-Man's 2nd version was actually wamboyil's translation from the original German. No wonder it was correct!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:32:41 AM by obervet »

Offline Guy

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 11:52:20 AM »
I don't understand the option in voting to draw a wolf and deprive your opponent of points. As you can only draw when you expand your own shepherd field the only way to deprive your opponent of points with a wolf is if you shared the field with him in which case you'd be depriving yourself of points too as flocks of joined fields are shared. There seems to me no aggressive use of the wolf unless I am misunderstanding something in either the rules or the voting option...
I play orange

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 12:06:33 PM »
You read the wolf option correctly. It's about over drawing sheep until you get a wolf in a joint field. Presumably you would intentionally join pastures for the purpose of drawing a wolf. It is risky and kind of mean. I've actually tried it once and it worked!

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 06:14:21 AM »
I LOVE the sheep! I think it's a great little mechanism which gives you something to do when all other avenues are dry. If you're clever you can factor the Shepherd into most turns! Building on the road you already own? Expand your field too and draw a sheep! Keep adding tiles to your city and expand the field as you go! It's simple in its rules but can be complex in execution. If you get the shepherd in the right place you can really score some points with this. I tend to play conservatively though, and will usually expand two or three times at most and then gather. If you get the shepherd down again quickly you can still get lots of points with minimum chance of loosing it all.

We often give each player a shepherd even if not playing with the hills and sheep tiles as the follower and mechanism are independent of any tiles.
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Castles - Element of the Weak (unofficial Element of the Week)

Started by Gerry

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2014, 01:37:18 AM
by danisthirty
xx
The Barbarian Report: Drunken Sheep Over Hill and Dale (Sheep & Hills Review)

Started by Whaleyland

9 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 12:05:33 PM
by obervet
xx
The Goldmines – Element of the Week #31

Started by Whaleyland

12 Replies
Last post February 28, 2016, 05:13:34 AM
by Christopher
cheesy
The River – Element of the Week #2