Author Topic: Chain reaction of bazaars  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
Chain reaction of bazaars
« on: February 22, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »
I don't know if this is well known but I was surprised to see a chain reaction of bazaars in a JCZ game.

Quote from CAR 7.4. page 95.:
"No chain reaction: If, through the placement of a bazaar tile, another bazaar tile is purchased and placed, no further tiles should be uncovered and auctioned."

Yet, in JCZ the chain reaction happens, but only if a bazaar tile is the last auctioned tile.

Example 1.: In a two-player game player A draws a bazaar tile and an auction takes place. Player B gets another bazaar tile then player A receives a tile without bazaar. In this case there is no chain reacton.
Example 2.: In a two-player game player A draws a bazaar tile and an auction takes place. Player B gets a tile without bazaar then player A receives a tile with bazaar. After both players placed their tiles, another auction happens.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3189.0

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: Chain reaction of bazaars
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 11:03:23 PM »
You should quote CAR till the end then:
Only when all the uncovered tiles have been allocated and placed can another bazaar take place.
I understand it as follows: if a bazaar tile is purchased during the auction, the bazaar will occur in any case, but just after all tiles are purchased and placed.
So, the bug is that bazaar doesn't occur in example 1, IMO.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 03:31:26 AM »
Only when all the uncovered tiles have been allocated and placed can another bazaar take place.
I understand it as follows: if a bazaar tile is purchased during the auction, the bazaar will occur in any case, but just after all tiles are purchased and placed.
I think the sentence I quoted excludes any chain reaction. The second sentence is only a clarification for better understanding but it does not overwrite the general rule that an auctioned bazaar tile doesn't trigger another bazaar.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 03:54:08 AM »
I think the sentence I quoted excludes any chain reaction. The second sentence is only a clarification for better understanding but it does not overwrite the general rule that an auctioned bazaar tile doesn't trigger another bazaar.
OK, we need an official clarification then. I see it as "no immediate auctions allowed", like with river's U-turns. But maybe I am just bad in English :))

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 06:26:33 AM »
Your English is probably better than mine. But I wonder how a native English speaker understands this rule.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 08:38:43 AM »

I agree with MrNumbers based on this sentence in the CAR. So, if a bazaar tile is drawn and an auction begins and one (or more) of the uncovered tiles also contain(s) a bazaar tile, all of the initial uncovered tiles are placed (even if the one with a bazaar is not the last one to be placed), and then a second bazaar begins. In this way, there are never more uncovered tiles than the number of players.

Quote from CAR 7.4. page 95.:
"No chain reaction: If, through the placement of a bazaar tile, another bazaar tile is purchased and placed, no further tiles should be uncovered and auctioned."

Having actually read both quoted CAR lines now, I think Leven's take is clearly the right one. If one of the uncovered tiles contains a bazaar, no bazaar takes place for that tile. The line MrNumbers quoted is pretty unnecessary in the CAR as this is already implied in the line that Leven quoted. It just adds some more confusion for fun :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:42:52 AM by jungleboy »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Rules about bazaars (Bridges, Castles and Bazaars)

Started by SxN

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2021, 02:13:23 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Bridges, Castles & Bazaars League: Bazaars

Started by MrNumbers

28 Replies
Last post March 13, 2017, 01:18:01 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
Carcassonne: Wheel of Fortune with Bridges, Castles and Bazaars