Author Topic: World Cup - Knock-out Stage!  (Read 40831 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: World Cup - Knock-out Stage!
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2014, 12:00:28 AM »
Even for uncompleted games you have perfect report, jungleboy! :(y)
I agree in all points, it was a very close game, jungleboy wonderfully used his big meeple and managed to steal a big road and medium city from me. Only one thing is not exactly right:
needing just a CCCX tile to join both my meeples and finish the city at the same
there was opened end left from the big meeple side, so the battle for that city wouldn't be over even after CCCX tile.
Just for fun I finished playing this game with myself, making jungleboy's moves as it would be my moves. That CCCR tile came to me :) Some dragon tiles came to me also and my farmer left uneaten. But if we would continue the same game, randomizing mechanism could behave otherwise, so this experiment doesn't mean anything.
We will try to play our game with JCZ 3.0, where this bug is fixed, if only it doesn't have another major bug.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 12:30:46 AM »
Only one thing is not exactly right:
needing just a CCCX tile to join both my meeples and finish the city at the same
there was opened end left from the big meeple side, so the battle for that city wouldn't be over even after CCCX tile.

Yes, you are right. I should have looked at the board again before writing that sentence!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2014, 07:06:22 AM »
Today was the second try to play our semifinal with jungleboy. One minor bug was detected, but it didn't interfere our game.
Final score - 210:177 in my favor.
It was VERY close game! All last part of the game was one big fight for a 42-point farm. If jungleboy would manage even to equalize it, I would lost by 9 points. I will let jungleboy to write a wonderful review about this game, only will publish final board.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2014, 07:39:18 AM »
Hi MrNumbers,
congratulations to you - you are one of the finalists.

Now it is interesting who will your final opponent...

Hi jungleboy,
I am sorry for you, but to win against MrNumbers is not easy...

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2014, 07:49:32 AM »
Congratulations MrNumbers. Jungleboy, I feel your pain but at least you got one step further than I did and it sounds like it was an exciting match. Looking forward to the report!

How did it go with JCZ 3.0? Presumably the mega meeple is now able to use magic portals? And is the issue with the builder and the dragon now resolved too?

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2014, 07:53:04 AM »
Hi MrNumbers,
congratulations to you - you are one of the finalists.

Now it is interesting who will your final opponent...

Thank you, kettlefish and danisthirty!
I am curious about the second finalist too. Hope Carcking and quevy will play their semifinal soon.

How did it go with JCZ 3.0? Presumably the mega meeple is now able to use magic portals? And is the issue with the builder and the dragon now resolved too?

It was one minor bug in 3.0, but it didn't influence the game. Big meeple now IS able to travel through magic portal, but we didn't use that possibility in this game. Semifinal was played without Traders and Builders so I don't know if the issue with Dragon and Builder is resolved.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 07:55:45 AM by MrNumbers »

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2014, 07:57:56 AM »
Congratulations to the first finalist.
Jungleboy I'm sorry, I'll try to keep the name of the group c.

I just contacted Carcking for our game. I hope we can reach an agreement on when to play.
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2014, 09:57:10 AM »
This was a tough game to lose but I'm at least happy that I played well. Sometimes things don't go your way, especially against a tough opponent, so I don't have any regrets about this game.

As usual, we played a fairly cautious game at the beginning with no one going for too much out of fear of being blocked. MrNumbers had control of a decent-sized city around the river but I managed to take it from him with one of my new favourite moves: using the princess to remove his follower and then adding my phantom to the city in the same move. To complete the city I now needed only a FCRR tile, but it took almost the whole game for me to pull it, finally drawing it when there were about 10 tiles left. This left me without my phantom for virtually the whole game but still I think it was the right move to make. Despite being without my phantom, I was doing quite well through the early-middle part of the game and held a lead of about 20-25 points.

The other city to develop around this time was in the north-west area of the board as MrNumbers drew several CCCX tiles and began building himself a nice city. He added a second meeple and I countered with my big meeple. He was able to get a third meeple in, however, leaving a nice CCCC gap for him. His cathedral tile came very quickly and he was able to complete his city to score nearly 40 points and take the lead, which he never relinquished for the rest of the game.

By this time, the main farm was increasing in size and potential points, so we both started to try to manoeuvre to get meeples in it. I had one eaten by the dragon but quickly got another one in, and eventually I managed to join it to my other farm to take a 3-2 advantage. MrNumbers made a big move soon after, sacrificing his double meeple for the rest of the game by getting it into the farm with (I think) about 30 tiles left, taking a 4-3 lead.

Though two other cities were developing in the east that we both had interest in, the main farm now shaped up as the decisive battleground of the game. There weren't many opportunities to get another meeple in and eventually with about 12 tiles left I finally got my double meeple within one tile of the farm in the north-east part of the board, needing something like a CFFF or a RRFF tile to join it up. MrNumbers got busy around this tile to try to block it up and this proved successful. By this time he had also added another meeple to the farm so I could only tie it by getting my double meeple in. As it turns out, this might have been just enough to win me the game. By the time I drew the final tile of the game, MrNumbers had put me in a position where I needed a CFFF tile to join the farm. Instead I drew a two-city CCFF tile, which gave MrNumbers the farm and the game.

Congratulations to MrNumbers! He will be very hard to beat in the final. And good luck to Carcking and quevy in the other semifinal.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2014, 10:37:28 AM »
A fantastic report! Sounds like you did as much as you could!

Merit for making it feel like I was actually playing!  :(y)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2014, 03:29:53 AM »

It was one minor bug in 3.0, but it didn't influence the game. Big meeple now IS able to travel through magic portal, but we didn't use that possibility in this game. Semifinal was played without Traders and Builders so I don't know if the issue with Dragon and Builder is resolved.

Traders & Builders would have been included if not for the bug, so I thought I'd ask so that we know for next time. I'll download the new version this evening and have a play with it to find out...

Any news on the other semi-final @Carcking / @quevy?

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »
Unfortunately, this weekend we could not have a moment to be able to play, I hope soon to be able to organize, unfortunately, given the diversity of time not believe that arrive before the weekend.

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2014, 03:08:02 PM »
Carcking passes in the final.
Game fun.
Tomorrow screenshot and a small summary.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2014, 01:08:18 AM »
Congratulations, Carcking! See you in final! ;)

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2014, 06:35:10 AM »
Congratulations, Carcking! See you in final! ;)

Hi Mr. Numbers. Thanks for that! We have to schedule our match. What window of time do you have this weekend? Perhaps we can play on Sunday?

Carcking
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2014, 06:36:59 AM »
Carcking passes in the final.
Game fun.

Good game quevy! Thanks for making it fun and exciting. Your Farm play was very good but it came down to some lucky draws for me toward the end!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
2016 World Cup - Knock-Out Stage

Started by MrNumbers

63 Replies
Last post February 01, 2017, 01:59:24 AM
by Jéré
clip
2017 World Cup - Knock-Out Stage

Started by MrNumbers

121 Replies
Last post May 23, 2018, 02:54:30 AM
by Halfling
xx
2015 World Cup of Carcassonne Central - Knock-Out Stage

Started by danisthirty

160 Replies
Last post February 08, 2017, 02:46:16 PM
by danisthirty
xx
Can a Dragon knock off a double sized Meeple?

Started by LilliB

5 Replies
Last post February 21, 2020, 12:57:04 PM
by Meepledrone
question
Knock off? Fake? What is this box?

Started by OJH1997

8 Replies
Last post March 02, 2022, 04:29:13 PM
by DIN0