Author Topic: What game is hitting your table?  (Read 45345 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: What game is hitting your table?
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 01:27:18 PM »
I've been playing a bunch of random games lately. Carcassonne has actually been a headliner lately because of all the new Minis. I've tried them all and written reviews for each.

We've also been playing a bunch of Kickstarter goods that have been coming in. Urbanization has been popular with my friends who like Agricola. The Great Heartland Hauling Co. was a last minute backing that has proven to be quite popular and quick to play. Skyline, a spin-off of Ground Floor, has also been getting a bunch of play, though the game seems to be almost entirely luck-based. We haven't yet tried Ground Floor or Gunship: First Strike, though I got both more than two weeks ago.

Last week when we had some friends over, we also played The Settlers of Catan, which hasn't hit our table in quite a while in its original form. We generally play with a few expansions or do a scenario. Agricola was also played for the first time in quite a while two weeks ago.

That pretty much sums it up for now. I have a bunch of games that haven't been played lately or much, The Castles of Burgundy the chief among them. Hopefully those will hit the table soon, though I still want to try out my other new Kickstarter games first.

Offline Bixby

• Marquis
  • Merit: 18
  • Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Bixby's Bar & Grill
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 10:12:50 AM »
@KettleFish
- DrachenWurf does indeed look cool. There are so many interesting games out there!
- We are still working on our Europe trip itinerary. The Tank museum may not make the cut :( I will let you know if we are going to be in the area.

@CarcKing
Glen More will certainly be making our play lists more often now. Cool design. It is destined for the next BixCON. :)
Also, if I should travel to new York state, I would certainly message you. It is wonderful to meet like-minded souls and play a game or two.

@Carcatronn
Cards Against Humanity gets requested with some regularity in these parts. I have only had a copy for a month or so. Will certainly liven up our next family gathering.  :D

@Tobias
Move to Canada instead of the USA. You will be closer then. :)

@Whaleyland
If you like Castles of Burgundy, you should have a look at Trajan. Stephan Feld's designs are very enjoyable with clever mechanics.

Twilight Struggle League Game @ChewsDay Challenge
Last Tuesday night, I played the closest and most tense game I have played of Twilight Struggle. (A friend of mine, Mark, tells me I say that about every TS game I play). :) The game was very fun and very tense. It went the full 10 turns and before final scoring, the VP marker was on 0. I had the wargames card in my hand for turns 9 and 10 and almost pulled off a wargames victory twice but was thwarted once in the space race by missing a roll that would have given me 4vp. Another time I managed to get my VP to 7 and was going to play the card and Ryan scored all of his battleground countries in Central and South America. This game is full of decision tension. I can feel ulcers forming in my stomach when I play. Such a brilliant design and so tightly woven with the theme. I am very thankful Mark has established the league, it helps me get this game to the table more often.
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »
@KettleFish
- DrachenWurf does indeed look cool. There are so many interesting games out there!
- We are still working on our Europe trip itinerary. The Tank museum may not make the cut :( I will let you know if we are going to be in the area.
DrachenWurf - I bought that game for only 10€ in a store.

Offline Tacita

• La folia!
  • Viscount
  • The last cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 02:13:19 PM »
Move to Canada instead of the USA. You will be closer then. :)
Ah, well. I sometimes forget Canada exists. No offence!  O:-)

This weekend saw our usual game night. We were seven people for the better part of the day, which means we had the oppostunity to play some games that are not usually brought forth.

We started off with Pitchcar, which might very well be the very best game that can be played as a starter for gaming events, if you have enough people. It is nearly always a total hoot!

Next up was Lifeboat, which is usually a rather nasty game, but this time it did not hit home. Maybe because we were too nice to eachother. That is a very rare problem in my gaming group for sure . . .

We played a game of Saboteur followed up with a couple games of Ca$h 'n Gun$. The latter is also a great fun game where you bluff your way to victory. Saboteur we played with the expansion and I am not sure it really enhances the game. More plays are needed!

A few rounds of Falling, which is not that a great game, but chaotic and fast played. It does not see much play, for good reason. It is very hard to actually do something about your situation. Maybe, I am not sure.

Then we played a round of Witch Trial, which demands (light) role play to be any fun at all. With a mixed group like ours some play it that way, others do not and it is easy to tell who enjoys the game more! It is an excellent game if played "right", that is for sure.

Then followed Rattus, which is a nasty game! It has so many options, both in set up and while playing that I feel like I have not even started to see what it has to offer. I really want to play this more!

The evening ended with a three player game of Cyclades. This is another game we really should bring to the table more often. Not only for its beauty, but because it is a very diverse and "meaty" game - especially with the expansions. The very last game for the night was a drunken run of Liar's Dice. If you do not own this little gem, you should run out and get it at once!

Today we played a game of Taj Mahal. A rather dull-looking Euro, but with a lot of finesse.

All in all a very nice weekend of gaming and beer!
"We do not want to make someone buy a whole set just to get a few new cards. We like our fans!" - Donald X Vaccarino

Link

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 06:40:26 AM »
Ah, well. I sometimes forget Canada exists. No offence!  O:-)

We're the only country to successfully invade the United States:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Washington

Offline Bixby

• Marquis
  • Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Bixby's Bar & Grill
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 07:19:09 AM »
Played a 6 player game of Supremacy on the weekend. I quite enjoyed it.

We played the advanced rules game with the following expansions in play:
...Warlords & Pirates
...Resource Deck Two
...Mega-Map

We also played with the following rule variants:
...Random Market Modifiers
...Spies
...UN Sanctions for players building/using Nukes

Matt - North America
Greg - South America
Dana - Africa
Jeff - China
Mark - Europe
Bryce - Russia

The game play was better than last game, and the last game was enjoyable. The UN Sanctions was a sufficient deterrent for nukes for the first two turns.  Matt and Greg started the game with a minor misunderstanding about the Caribbean Sea on the first turn. Apparently Greg just wanted to vacation in Cuba and Matt interpreted the 800 naval ships and troop carriers parked off the coast of the USA as an act of hostility. Matt always was a bit touchy about stuff like that. The conflict looked like it would abate somewhat then South America added another 2500 ships to the Caribbean Sea and added a standing force of 300,000 troops in Venezuela ready to convoy to the USA. (At least that is how Matt interpreted the presence of ships. Perhaps he did not see the Carnival Cruise Line logo on the ships as that part of the world is merely a popular tourist destination).

On turn three, North America thumbed its nose at the UN and decided to embark on some research & development for Nukes. The USA was successful in obtaining the technology, but unfortunately all five other super powers managed to infiltrate the research and obtained the technology as well. There goes the neighborhood.  The USA built four nukes as a cautionary measure. The next turn, South America built 7 nukes. Oh boy.

The USA decided to test the resolve of their southern neighbor by sending a small fleet to the Caribbean to tackle the Latin Armada. Apparently, their oppressive dictator overlord did not receive that fondly and opted for a nuclear first strike on the expeditionary fleet. The USA decided to kick the ball to start the next half of the game and Venezuela received the 800megatonne ball basically eliminating everything in that country: people, oil production, grain production, any last remnant of goodwill between the two continents.

What followed was the "rockets red glare" as six nukes came streaming from the southern hemisphere to take out most of North America. The only part of the superpower left functioning was the Southeast corner or the USA where an emergency HQ was established. South America then tried to come in with a naval force and the US retaliated with a 3 nuke cluster. 1 took out the naval force, and the others took our Peru and Argentina. That one's for you Maggie Thatcher!!!

Not to be foiled, South America air dropped some reserve troops into the Southeast USA to take over the superpower and eliminate Matt from the Game. It was at that point that Africa and the rest of the remaining world decided that South America was looking a bit weak from their extended vacationing in North America and pounced.

That was the real cool interesting part of the game. What followed was Greg & Matt watching 3.5 hours of ballet between Africa-China-Europe. Somewhere in there, Russia got tired of watching the ballet and closed the curtain on the world in the form of a Nuclear Winter. Good times.

I will happily play again!!!!

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 11:38:31 AM »

I don't know this game but it sounds intense. Something I would like I think.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Bixby

• Marquis
  • Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Bixby's Bar & Grill
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 02:20:41 PM »

I don't know this game but it sounds intense. Something I would like I think.

It is a decent game that has a couple of broken areas in the rules. Once fixed, the game plays well.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27/supremacy

Offline Carc-meister

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 09:42:23 AM »
I've been playing a bunch of random games lately. Carcassonne has actually been a headliner lately because of all the new Minis. I've tried them all and written reviews for each.

I'd be curious to see those reviews.  Have a link?
At me to Game Center on iOS - Woo-Hoo1

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2013, 10:10:23 AM »
Please look at:  Carc Central Community - Reviews & Session Reports

Here is the link:
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?board=3.0

Offline Carc-meister

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2013, 11:11:05 AM »
Ah, turns out I had already read those.  :)

As for what I'm playing, I'm brand-spanking new to the world of board games.  So with some itunes gift-card money I picked up Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, Stone Age, and Le Havre.  I've played 3/4 (still need to learn Le Havre) and enjoy them all.  With some other unexpected gift money my family picked up Carc Big Box 3, and Ticket to Ride with India/Switz expansion and Africa Expansion.  When the next birthday comes I'll probably pick up something else with additional gift $! Grateful for this site and BGG to give me numerous ideas.

Offline Tacita

• La folia!
  • Viscount
  • The last cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2013, 12:23:27 PM »
We had planned to play a lot of games on the International Tabletop Games-day. We had reserved about fourteen hours for games and told people to bring their own food etc. We wanted it to be special and grand! Of course, things almost never goes as planned and when two of our friends had been partying the day before and not hit the sack until six ante meridiem, things would have to be different. We did however play games!

Macao is an excellent game by Feld. There are dics, but nearly no luck.
Edo. A very agonsing Euro. You just always want to have one more action every turn. I have plyed it twice so far and I am already in love.
Cutthroat Caverns. A great great game. If you have never played it - play it!
Shadow Hunters. A very quick hidden team game. Not as good as some in the genre, but chaotic and fun!

We played  acouple more games, but these were the best!

In two weeks I will try my best to get Wildlife on the table. It demands six people though, so we will have to see.

Offline Bixby

• Marquis
  • Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Bixby's Bar & Grill
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2013, 07:28:15 AM »
Well, we are settled back into a routine after getting back from a 5 week vacation to Europe. Kathy and I had a great trip. Here are some gaming highlights from the trip:

Mexican Train Double Twelve Dominoes @ Hudson's Cafe in Berlin, Germany
We went to a British Cafe/Pub on a Trivia night and the two of us entered a team into the pub trivia... we sucked. However, over the course of the evening, we saw that the place had a few games so we played Dominoes. Kathy beat me handily. Fun night and we chatted with some folks staying in Berlin from England.

Hanabi @ our airBnB apartment in Berlin, Germany
Kathy and I were joined by our daughter Krystal who is currently living in Berlin for a quick three player game. We managed to score 20 points. Not bad.

7 Wonders @ Beyond Monopoly in York, England
Kathy and I played a 6 player game of this at the Beyond Monopoly games day. They have these on two Saturdays each month and also, on the opposite Friday evenings. We happened to be there for one of the Saturday events. A very welcoming group and a friendly place to play some games. Great hospitality.

AffenTennis x2 @ Beyond Monopoly in York, England
This was a real treat. John had checked my BGG Profile and noticed that I wanted to play this and made a point of bringing it out. I think this is a brilliant game that is loads of fun. I definitely need to locate a copy for myself now.

Kingdom Builder @ Beyond Monopoly in York, England
I am really starting to see the brilliance of this game. It certainly is an abstract strategy game and does that very well. I am enjoying this game more the more I play it.

Hanabi @ Colin & Catharine's place in Egham, England (Just outside of London)
We played a four player game of this with Colin & Catharine after a day of visiting, sampling ale, and BBQ'ing. We managed a score of 19 points.

Coloretto x2 at Hotel Turin in Berlin, Germany
Our last night in Europe, we were all packed and decided to play a couple of games of Coloretto to close of the evening. Our daughter Krystal was with us again so it was a nice way to end the evening and the trip.
Fantastic trip and full of fond memories. We normally pack a few boardgames (smaller ones) when we travel. I think now we will stick to iPad versions of boardgames for the convenience. I tend to dislike video games instead of boardgames, but when traveling they sure make sense. In addition to the above, we played the following on the iPad over the course of 5 weeks.
Ticket to Ride ~ 4 Games.
Carcassonne ~ 2 Games.
Kingsburg ~ 1 Game.
Kingdom Builder ~ 20 Solo Games.
Eclipse ~ 2 Solo Games.
Can't Stop ~ 10 Games.
Las Vegas ~ 5 Games.
Through the Desert ~ 1 Solo Game.
Battle Line ~ 2 Games.
Stone Age ~ 3 Games.

It is so convenient to use the iPad for Pass 'n' Play games on the plane or trains. Now I do not have to pack games in my luggage for these trips anymore.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2013, 09:26:14 AM »
The game "Hanabi" is one of the nominees for the award "Spiel des Jahres 2013".

Mo, 08.07.2013   
Press conference with publication of the award winner "Spiel des Jahres 2013" and "Kennerspiel des Jahres 2013" in Berlin

Homepage (German / English)
Spiel des Jahres eV

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Table Talk - how does this happen at your game?

Started by Allan in Brisbane

10 Replies
Last post January 16, 2015, 06:05:28 AM
by Durbs
clip
Base Game - Table edges

Started by Meepledrone

50 Replies
Last post January 20, 2023, 06:00:15 AM
by kothmann
xx
Playing with the Score Board in the center of the table