Author Topic: Thrifting and my first find of Carcassonne  (Read 4790 times)

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
Thrifting and my first find of Carcassonne
« on: June 20, 2015, 09:58:32 AM »
Two parts to this tale:

I am very happy to have finally found a Thrift copy of Carcassonne for $2, CND this week.

It was the RGG 3rd English edition, without the river. The box is in perfect shape and tiles were punched but it looks unplayed.

This is the exact same copy of my original first new purchase. That copy for us has seen about 350 plays so I plan to replace those very (nicely) worn tiles with this, thrift copy.  I am a little torn on this because even though those tiles are fading I have enjoyed every moment of play.

Have you ever thrifted a copy of Carc? What have you done with that copy? Do you actively Thrift?

I frequent the BGG Thrift thread and got the Thrift bug after my first good score, and have been actively looking for about 3 years. One of my first was a complete copy Starfarers Catan, $2.50. I have gone onto find some other good titles most of which were complete and in very good condition.

2 complete copies of Small World, one in shrink
Pandemic, New Edition
Conquest of Empire, 1984 edition
Squad Leader and Various other wargames
Several copies of Heroscape
Scotland Yard, HeroQuest
Several Gigamic abstracts
Settlers of Catan (3rd edition)
Lost Cities, Red November, Fortress America
Shogun, New World, Guillotine and more

Do you have any top finds?

Cheers,

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1887.0
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
  • No, *you* haven't updated your profile yet.
    • View Profile
Re: Thrifting and my first find of Carcassonne
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 05:11:50 PM »
I managed to pick up a copy of The Tunnels for £10 on the BGG market a couple of months ago - bargain!

Offline lomdr

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 02:19:45 PM »
Pretty much how I got my base game Carcassonne, Franks, just that I thrifted a copy with no meeples and 2 missing tiles (both of which has been rectified as of this post).  But yeah, mine's an edition where it had no River built in, so I'm going to have to either import it from Germany or make my own using the blanks from Z-Man and get it printed professionally.

Offline loki

• Duke
  • Merit: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 03:15:33 PM »
You get a river with the Count expansion (if you can find it)

Offline lomdr

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 03:34:22 PM »
Well, the River 2, according to Z-man's edition and BGG.  Looking for a way to get River 1.  But yeah, Expansion 6 is on my shortlist, along with Inns and Cathedrals and Traders and Builders.  Just that finding Inns and Traders is easier said than done.  Inns because of the 6th player and large meeples, Traders for the mechanics, Count and 'friends' because of River 2, Kings, and Robber Baron.

Offline loki

• Duke
  • Merit: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 03:48:01 PM »
well if you also want I&C and T&B you might consider Big Box 5 if it is not too expensive

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 11:51:12 PM »
Not sure if I should start another thread but since this is once again related to thrifting I thought I might as well post this here.

I came across a copy of Disney Monopoly. Whatever one thinks of the game they do, most times, have great bits. I hadn’t come across this set before so opened it up in the store to take a look.

The pewter bits are really nice but what caught me eye were the small castles and houses. I immediately thought of the Castles and little buildingsin Carcassonne.

These are only window dressing in the game and yes they do pollute the landscape with plastic but they have such great detail.

I always play blue so didn’t have to modify my colour. My wife plays yellow and I happened to have a suitable spray paint that I later sealed to get a good result.

Here are the bits. (I'm still learning how to resize and post decent photos here so these could have been better. Hope you at least have an idea of what the pieces are like.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 12:01:02 AM by franks, Reason: Trying to produce better photos »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
That feeling when you find the hard to find

Started by DaFees

4 Replies
Last post February 12, 2021, 02:34:06 AM
by Decar
xx
Carcassonne first edition?? Is it first edition?

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
by Halfling
xx
WTB: First Edition, First Print with 70-point scoreboard

Started by Perimones

45 Replies
Last post April 27, 2016, 01:52:37 AM
by Decar
xx
The Voyages of Marco Polo - First plays, first impressions (image heavy)

Started by franks

5 Replies
Last post November 16, 2017, 06:07:57 AM
by franks
xx
My first game with Wheel of Fortune, ferries, schools and half and half

Started by quevy

8 Replies
Last post October 29, 2014, 10:21:10 AM
by quevy