Author Topic: Wikicarpedia - The City Gates (1st edition)  (Read 1918 times)

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
Wikicarpedia - The City Gates (1st edition)
« on: January 04, 2021, 02:46:48 AM »
Seeing that in quiz 24 the expansion was used, I found that there is only this phrase regarding the interaction with A&M:
-‘ The abbey may also be placed at a city gate. Likewise, the wagon may drive through a city gate when moving, unless there is a farm at the city gate.’

The sentence says ‘drive through a city gate’.
-Could the wagon be placed in a free city gate that didn’t have a free road tile next? If later a tile with a field were placed, the wagon would not score anything and would be returned to its owner for example ... But if a tile with a road is placed it would be to extend the road from the city gate ... The rules don’t say otherwise and the phrase can be interpreted in this way too.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4964.0
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Wikicarpedia - The City Gates (1st edition)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 06:56:19 AM »
A wagon can always be used in a city, in a cloister and on a road, but not on a farm.
In the first edition after scoring a wagon can only move from a city, cloister or road to an adjacent city, cloister or road. It cannot drive throug a field.
If you placed a wagon on a city with city gates and the city was scored, you can move the wagon to an adjacent road, if there is a road at the edge of the city gate, or to an adjacent city, if there is a city with city gate at the edge with the city gate (so there are two edges with city gates directly connected) - but the wagon may not drive through the city gate, if there is a farm behind it.
There is a different rule for the moving of the wagon in the second edition ... I think, he can fly.

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 07:02:34 AM »
A wagon can always be used in a city, in a cloister and on a road, but not on a farm.
In the first edition after scoring a wagon can only move from a city, cloister or road to an adjacent city, cloister or road. It cannot drive throug a field.
If you placed a wagon on a city with city gates and the city was scored, you can move the wagon to an adjacent road, if there is a road at the edge of the city gate, or to an adjacent city, if there is a city with city gate at the edge with the city gate (so there are two edges with city gates directly connected) - but the wagon may not drive through the city gate, if there is a farm behind it.
There is a different rule for the moving of the wagon in the second edition ... I think, he can fly.

For the 2nd edition, a wagon can move to any unoccupied and incomplete feature (except fields) on any of the 8 adjacent tiles and on his tile itself.

So the city gates do not change anything. A city gate itself isn't a feature, the wagon can not be placed on the city gate itself (no meeple can).
But if a wagon is on a city with citygates that has just been completed, it can move on any adjacent tile (the same as if there was no city gate).

Again, this is fore the 2nd edition rules. For the first, like Fritz_Spinne said, if a wagon is on a city with a city gate, it may drive through the gate to go on a road or city that is directly connected, but it can't stop on the gate itself, it can't go on en empty space, and it can't go on a field.

Hope this helps  ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 07:06:00 AM by corinthiens13 »

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 08:06:59 AM »

For the 2nd edition, a wagon can move to any unoccupied and incomplete feature (except fields) on any of the 8 adjacent tiles and on his tile itself.

So the city gates do not change anything. A city gate itself isn't a feature, the wagon can not be placed on the city gate itself (no meeple can).
But if a wagon is on a city with citygates that has just been completed, it can move on any adjacent tile (the same as if there was no city gate).

Again, this is fore the 2nd edition rules. For the first, like Fritz_Spinne said, if a wagon is on a city with a city gate, it may drive through the gate to go on a road or city that is directly connected, but it can't stop on the gate itself, it can't go on en empty space, and it can't go on a field.

Hope this helps  ;)

Anyway I like more C1 rules, which is more "real", but C2 rules are better for earning points ;-)
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 03:00:12 PM »
'There is a different rule for the moving of the wagon in the second edition ... I think, he can fly.'
Hahahaha so true my friend! Stupid no sense change... The fliers wagons hahaha
Well, I find interesting the option to put the wagon on a free City Gate with the intention of 'passing through' when there's no tile on It...

Enviado desde St. Meeple Hospital

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 08:52:16 PM »
Well, I find interesting the option to put the wagon on a free City Gate with the intention of 'passing through' when there's no tile on It...

It can be an interesting house rule  ;)

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 03:16:06 AM »

It can be an interesting house rule  ;)

I think that as the sentence that applies to A&M is worded it can be interpreted that way ... Well, yes, if it really doesn't work like that, it would be interesting to try it for the wagons ... Let's see if I can print this expansion as soon as possible and test it with A&M and comment here how it works after several ways ...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
City gates (digital) ??

Started by coldhands

9 Replies
Last post May 29, 2020, 12:58:42 AM
by Decar
xx
The city: Gates

Started by Yashin-n

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2017, 03:21:44 PM
by Yashin-n
question
Question about City gates and builder

Started by corinthiens13

14 Replies
Last post May 25, 2021, 11:34:46 PM
by Meepledrone
question
WikiCarpedia or Wikicarpedia?

Started by NGC 54

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2023, 04:34:20 AM
by Decar
xx
FS: German 1st Edition with 70-point scoretrack (SOLD)

Started by Scott

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2022, 06:55:13 AM
by Scott