Author Topic: iOS: New expansion for christmas  (Read 19997 times)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
iOS: New expansion for christmas
« on: October 12, 2014, 01:17:24 PM »
Looks like the next expansion for Carcassonne on iPhone/iPad will be the Winter Edition + Gingerbread man!

That's what I understand from the clues they gave on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/carcassonneapp/status/520156482751709184

What would be really nice is if they go the extra mile and change the style of ALL expansions too and achieve what is (nearly) impossible to do with the physical game.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1130.0

Offline Guesclin

• Vassal
  • Merit: 5
  • I haven't profiled my update yet!
    • View Profile
Re: iOS: New expansion for christmas
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 01:48:06 PM »
Nice, but i'm Still hoping 4 more expansions 4 The normal game
Dddddeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrppp

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 02:00:43 PM »
Agreed. I would have preferred Abbey and Mayor.

Offline BenTF

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
I second the Abbey and Mayor notion.. Hills and Sheep too..

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
iOS: New expansion for christmas
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 04:15:56 AM »
They said earlier that they are working on a "graphics intensive project" and that "it takes a while for our artists to create the new images". They added: "We have a *lot* of graphics assests".

I suspect some of this stuff will be simply made available as an app update, just as they did for their amazing tally feature.

Sure, another major expansion would be nice but so far they have never dissapointed us and bear in mind that it's their second release this year. First was the Phantom at the end of May and they are very good at keeping the app up to date with every new version of iOS and iDevices. They still support the first iPad (!), which is quite an achievement and shows how much this small app development studio cares considering Apple's agressive planned obsolescence strategy...

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 05:13:40 AM »
Perhaps they will add the graphics of the new edition too... And then we'll have to choose between 3 modes: Classic, New Edition and Winter Edition.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 02:19:48 PM »

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 05:04:15 AM »
Just to show you how powerful the Gingerbread Man can be :)

...together with the double base tile set. Fun expansions! Just a bit dissapointed they didn't apply the winter theme to all other expansions: it seemed realistic. They let you mix winter and "summer" tiles which is a bit strange. :/. Anyway, great fun.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 05:39:33 AM »
That's quite an impressive score! And there was me getting annoyed that my wife completed a 17-tile city with 4 meeples and the gingerbread man in it for 68 points before we'd even scored the city!

I'm starting to wish I had an iSomething so I can get in on all the iOS action. People on Twitter talk about the Carcassonne app (for iOS) more than they do the actual game!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 06:35:31 AM »
They let you mix winter and "summer" tiles which is a bit strange. :/. Anyway, great fun.

Haven't you heard? You can mix anything now. As long as the backs of the tiles are the same, of course - that's obviously the most important thing, not the front. So the only reason you can't mix the Ark of the Covenant with Carcassonne is that the Ark tiles have an A on the back instead of a C. Otherwise, you could have all kinds of desert-farms and temple-cloisters and it would be great!  >:D

Gerry

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 06:41:27 AM »
I finally broke out my (cardboard) winter version of the game a week or so ago.  Our gaming table in the basement is covered with stuff we had to move around when decorating so we wanted to play in the kitchen.

Having a separate smaller copy of the game is ideal for this.  Plus there was a lot of snow outside and we could watch the birds at the feeder while we played which was nice.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 06:41:53 AM »
I think maybe I've been playing Carcassonne upside-down all these years...  :-[

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 06:57:25 AM »
They let you mix winter and "summer" tiles which is a bit strange. :/. Anyway, great fun.

Haven't you heard? You can mix anything now. As long as the backs of the tiles are the same, of course - that's obviously the most important thing, not the front. So the only reason you can't mix the Ark of the Covenant with Carcassonne is that the Ark tiles have an A on the back instead of a C. Otherwise, you could have all kinds of desert-farms and temple-cloisters and it would be great!  >:D

Too bad I can't mix the German "Baumeister des Königs" with the English "Ark of the covenant" because of the backs, they have B instad of A ...

Gerry

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 07:19:49 AM »

Too bad I can't mix the German "Baumeister des Königs" with the English "Ark of the covenant" because of the backs, they have B instad of A ...
Well if you have say 50 tiles of each then you can mix them as it does not really give away any meaningful information.  All you know is that is any tile from one of the two sets.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 11:29:04 AM »
I think maybe I've been playing Carcassonne upside-down all these years...  :-[

Well, you could just switch sides of the table with your wife  O0  (<-- This guy is underutilized, but I don't ever find a good use for him.)

But you have just given me a notion for a Carcassonne Memory Game. If you can find two matching face down tiles from the pool you get to play them. We'd have to define what "matching" is.  :(y)

Speaking of new expansions for Christmas...I am fearful that any number of my family members (who all know my love of Carcassonne) may go out and get me Carc .02 for Christmas. What do I do? Pre-empt their notions and say thanks, no thanks? That would be a horrible gesture. And far too late to be polite at this late date.  :-\
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:33:48 AM by Carcking »
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
New mini expansions released for iOS app

Started by grantf

14 Replies
Last post September 14, 2016, 11:15:30 PM
by JoeSesquipedalian
cheesy
New (in progress) Android/iOS/Desktop/Web based game

Started by bramp

9 Replies
Last post February 01, 2024, 01:04:02 AM