Author Topic: Connecting to Leipzig  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Swiggan

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Connecting to Leipzig
« on: March 24, 2020, 10:01:25 AM »
Hey everyone - got a quick question regarding roads leading to Leipzig:

The English rules refer to the fact that you can put a meeple in Leipzig even if the road you finish doesn't connect directly and instead connects through "a village", and the first time I read the rules I took that to mean exactly one village.

But I think, based on a potentially wrong translation of the German rules through Google, that reading "a village" as meaning literally one village is incorrect, and it's okay to connect through multiple villages along the way. But again, I don't speak or read German and Google Translate can do some strange things sometimes.

So...any number of villages, or just one? Thanks for the help!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4565.0

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
Re: Connecting to Leipzig
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 10:27:32 AM »
In WikiCarpedia http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Markets_of_Leipzig/en is written:

Each of Leipzig's quarters has one road which starts at its gate. All roads which are connected to these roads offer the possibility of sending one of your meeples to Leipzig. This counts as well for roads which are not directly connected to Leipzig, but are connected through a village.

In german rules:
Dies gilt auch für Straßen, die nicht direkt nach Leipzig führen, aber über Dörfer mit einer Straße nach Leipzig verbunden sind.

So it means streets which end in a city which is connected to Leipzig or other city which is connected to Leipzig or city witch is is connected to city witch is connected to Leipzig or other city which... ;-)

So don't worry.

Please, don't believe Google translate. It's horrible!
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 04:51:18 PM »
Hi there!

I normally use deepl.com for translations and it is usually better than Google Translator.

This is the translation I get from the German rules:

Von allen Stadtvierteln Leipzigs führt eine Straße weg. Alle Straßen, die damit verbunden sind, bieten dir die Möglichkeit, einen Meeple nach Leipzig zu schicken. Dies gilt auch für Straßen, die nicht direkt nach Leipzig führen, aber über Dörfer mit einer Straße nach Leipzig verbunden sind.

There is a road leading away from all districts of Leipzig. All streets that are connected to it offer you the possibility to send a Meeple to Leipzig. This also applies for roads that do not lead directly to Leipzig, but through villages are connected with a road to Leipzig.

So the roads considered are:
* Roads connected to Leipzig directly
* Roads connected to a village which connected directly to Leipzig

Hope this helps.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Swiggan

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 05:20:37 PM »
Hi there!

I normally use deepl.com for translations and it is usually better than Google Translator.

This is the translation I get from the German rules:

Von allen Stadtvierteln Leipzigs führt eine Straße weg. Alle Straßen, die damit verbunden sind, bieten dir die Möglichkeit, einen Meeple nach Leipzig zu schicken. Dies gilt auch für Straßen, die nicht direkt nach Leipzig führen, aber über Dörfer mit einer Straße nach Leipzig verbunden sind.

There is a road leading away from all districts of Leipzig. All streets that are connected to it offer you the possibility to send a Meeple to Leipzig. This also applies for roads that do not lead directly to Leipzig, but through villages are connected with a road to Leipzig.

So the roads considered are:
* Roads connected to Leipzig directly
* Roads connected to a village which connected directly to Leipzig

Hope this helps.

That's essentially the same translation that Google gave me, so it wasn't too bad this time. So I guess the difference is that the German uses "villages" while the English uses  "a village". I think that the intention is that you can trace the road through multiple villages on the way to Leipzig and still place a meeple in a quarter. You can't trace it through a city (the kind that scores you points) along the way though.

Thanks!

Offline Swiggan

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 05:25:47 PM »
Quote from: stano.lacko

So it means streets which end in a city which is connected to Leipzig or other city which is connected to Leipzig or city witch is is connected to city witch is connected to Leipzig or other city which... ;-)

Thanks, this is how I was understanding it...I think Google actually did a good job this time!

Offline Murphy013

• Marquis
  • Merit: 36
  • Tempus fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 03:17:59 AM »
Use deepl.com its much better then google

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Newbie question - having trouble hosting/connecting

Started by stalcupojoy

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2020, 01:37:11 AM
by totor66
clip
Markets of Leipzig - Meeples sent to Leipzig

Started by Meepledrone

11 Replies
Last post January 31, 2022, 05:09:59 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Meeple Geocaching - 99 Meeples on the way to Leipzig/Germany

Started by kettlefish

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2013, 09:10:25 AM
by Carcking
clip
Exhibition "modell-hobby-spiel" in Leipzig, Germany - 02.-04.10.2015

Started by kettlefish

7 Replies
Last post October 05, 2015, 12:31:13 PM
by quevy
xx
New expansion "The market of Leipzig" is coming in autumn!

Started by Christianmocking

114 Replies
Last post January 10, 2018, 03:31:53 AM
by InTheDark