Author Topic: I love the postman...  (Read 1160316 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: I love the postman...
« Reply #795 on: January 06, 2016, 02:36:20 PM »
That's interesting - I thought the total opposite!  A lot of the reviews I've seen say that some of the expansions weren't well conceived.  Though there are 24 to chose from now!  Each expansion seemed to have a particular player-count in mind, so some are suitable some not so much, I think some can drastically change tactics.  The Falconer's expansion looks awesome however and probably the best expansion box to get

As for the core-game, I started playing the Android Application (it's only 1.50) last week.  That was enough to convince me to try a Big Box.  I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I have done.  I understand why it won the SdJ now.  The game is quite casual, but there are some fiddly choices to make, and often you realize you made the wrong choice. Games can be played within 10-15minutes against the AI, I suspect seasoned players could knock a few games out very quickly.

When I've played a few of the expansions, I'll add a thread to the Other Games.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #796 on: January 07, 2016, 01:11:27 PM »
I've played the Alhambra Big Box a lot over the years and must say that it is really hit-and-miss. I've played probably 10 of the modules, some in combination with each other, and we found early on that some combinations actually break the game. If you play with too many tile-based modules or too many card-based modules at the same time, the game breaks. I mean, it actually breaks. The victory conditions get triggered before the game has properly progressed. I believe with too many cards, we ended up running out of tiles before we had even gotten to the second scoring round. That's definitely a problem. We've since adopted the policy that for every tile- or card-based module we include over the first one, we must also include a module of the opposite type. We have yet to play any of the modules in expansions 4-7, surprisingly, and even a few of the modules in the first three expansions have only been tested once, or maybe not even at all (we didn't bring Alhambra with us to New Zealand unfortunately...).

In other news, CundCo FINALLY got back to me and confirmed that my order has been sent to the proper address this time, meaning if it comes quickly, I may get it before the THREE MONTH mark of when I ordered it. Definitely not one of CundCo's better moments. Also, they said that they currently do not have any Brettspiel Adventkalendar Winter Edition Crop Circles in stock so are not able to give me one of those as a "we're sorry" bonus. Sad times. I will, at least, be getting a Spiel '15 tile.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #797 on: January 07, 2016, 01:15:52 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts whaleyland. I'm beginning to get the feeling that I want to like Alhambra more than I will actually like it, but we'll see :)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #798 on: January 07, 2016, 01:20:38 PM »
Oh, I should add that I received Decar's gift yesterday. THANK YOU DECAR! The tiles look amazing and my partner loved the bag they were in. We actually needed a meeple bag, so good call. I'm not sure when we'll get to try out the expansion, but it looks much more riveting than Wind Roses, which I imagine was similarly conceived.

Thanks for your thoughts whaleyland. I'm beginning to get the feeling that I want to like Alhambra more than I will actually like it, but we'll see :)
It is definitely a take it or leave it game. My partner loved it when she first played it, but I was more so-so. Over time, I think I began to like it much more than her...probably because I kept beating her.  ^-^

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #799 on: January 07, 2016, 03:28:45 PM »
Happy thanks whaleyland - im sorry it was a little late for Christmas. I'm glad you both liked the gifts :)

Yes you're right, I actually came up with the job title (astronomers) before conceiving the mehanics, but when it clicked it felt very similar to Windrose, accept it's a little tricker to get everything to line up.  The prototype we tried at the meetup was great fun. But in smaller games I was finding the 6tiles per constellation too powerful and easy to line up. I Hope you get time to give it a go soon!

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 08, 2016, 12:13:19 AM »
This arrived as a Christmas present.
Wow I wasn't disappointed at all. Really liked the artwork, and the variation in the rules.
I need to play it some more for sure, but already this is up there with Hunter & Gatherers as my favorite variants.

Offline Andrew the Ambo

• Count
  • Merit: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 08, 2016, 03:03:16 AM »
My gift also arrived from Decar thanks. It is late and I have an early start, hence the brevity of this post.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #802 on: January 08, 2016, 04:27:51 AM »

This arrived as a Christmas present.
Wow I wasn't disappointed at all. Really liked the artwork, and the variation in the rules.
I need to play it some more for sure, but already this is up there with Hunter & Gatherers as my favorite variants.

Glad you like it! I prefer it to H&G personally, so Ark is actually my favourite 'quick game' out of vanilla Carcassonne or any spin-offs similar to vanilla Carcassonne.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #803 on: January 08, 2016, 08:23:15 AM »
Today's arrival...

... +2 more Descent expansions not seen here.

Weekend fun here I come!  :yellow-meeple:
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 08, 2016, 02:09:28 PM »
Starting a new collection Paul? :D looks great!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #805 on: January 08, 2016, 02:18:01 PM »
Starting a new collection Paul? :D looks great!

Almost completed!  :(y) The complete Descent 2nd edition. 12 more to get hold of (expansions) but some of them are becoming harder to get hold of. Don't worry, there will be game plays of some of these games this year!  >:D

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 08, 2016, 06:10:31 PM »
Here is what I received for Christmas. I didn't expect anything, and then that! Wow, thanks guys!

The tiles of the Astronomers II are perfect. Nothing else, but perfect! Great work, Decar. And I love my new giant stone meeple. I already tested his new home in front of the house and will post a photo of it out there soon.  ^-^
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 09, 2016, 08:09:19 AM »
Here is the promised photo of the stone meeple in front of my house.

Offline Ailurus

• Duke
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 11, 2016, 11:31:36 AM »
I just stumbled upon a very favourably priced Carcassonne Winter Edition (€ 20) including those 12 additional tiles with (mythical) animals on them :)). I was quite surprised to find out that it also included the small Gingerbread Man Expansion (although the rules for this expansion weren't included — luckily I already bought the mini expansion from CundCo some time ago, so I have the rules in German) :gray-meeple:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:33:28 AM by Ailurus »

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 12, 2016, 12:46:01 PM »
Nice find Ailurus! I have been tempted by the winter edition a few times. the gingerbread man is good fun and it's got some lovely artwork!

Here's my most recent arrivals. Haven't been about much so this is a round up of things over the last few months including the discovery from Decar, a few presents for people and the fantastic Astronomers expansion Decar has made. I can't believe how wonderful the tiles are and my regular care group had a lot of fun okaying with the expansion   :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Love Letter & Love Letter Premium (Comparison)

Started by dirk2112

1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2018, 12:40:44 PM
by Willem
xx
I hate the postman..

Started by dirk2112

41 Replies
Last post April 20, 2016, 12:19:08 PM
by SRBO
clip
Can your postman dig a hole through the Earth to make Cundco shipping cheaper?

Started by Whaleyland

8 Replies
Last post November 27, 2020, 12:03:13 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Whilst I don't blame the postman, I object to his employers' business practices

Started by danisthirty

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2016, 01:34:47 AM
by Paul
xx
I Love the Landscape!