Author Topic: Complaints about Star Wars  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Complaints about Star Wars
« on: May 28, 2018, 06:29:11 PM »
After dinner we watched Rogue One, after watching this film 3 times I'm still enjoying it, the same cannot be said for Solo after a single watching ;(
The Star Wars Anthology films just aren't doing it for me. Rogue One was the first SW film I didn't re-watch in theatres. Solo will be the second. I would have skipped a re-watch of Last Jedi also, but I saw it apart from my partner and she wanted to complain about it together, so we re-watched it when I got back to New Zealand.

I really hope Episode 9 is a good send-off for the franchise and that they just take a break after whatever Anthology #3 is going to be (sounds like Boba Fett or Obi-Wan). I know the LJ director has some contract to do a new trilogy but I hope it gets cancelled. Focus on television for a while — let the movies rest.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3968.0

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Complaints about Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 02:02:55 AM »
After dinner we watched Rogue One, after watching this film 3 times I'm still enjoying it, the same cannot be said for Solo after a single watching ;(
The Star Wars Anthology films just aren't doing it for me. Rogue One was the first SW film I didn't re-watch in theatres. Solo will be the second. I would have skipped a re-watch of Last Jedi also, but I saw it apart from my partner and she wanted to complain about it together, so we re-watched it when I got back to New Zealand.

I really hope Episode 9 is a good send-off for the franchise and that they just take a break after whatever Anthology #3 is going to be (sounds like Boba Fett or Obi-Wan). I know the LJ director has some contract to do a new trilogy but I hope it gets cancelled. Focus on television for a while — let the movies rest.

I've never liked any of the films at all. :(n)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 03:26:28 AM »
You re-watched the prequels in theaters or do you pretend that that they do not exist?  In my opinion Rogue 1 is the 3rd best Star Wars film ever made.   It reignited my love for the franchise until The Last Jedi sucked the life out of it again.  As for Solo, it was ok.  I have no desire to own it or watch it again, but I felt it was better than TLJ and the prequels. 

My list
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Rogue 1
4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Force Awakens
6. Solo
7-11 Dreck

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 03:37:16 AM »
Think I agree with your top 3 Dirk - Rogue:One feels so much like a star wars film; and manages to deliver great and lasting lines of dialogue while expanding the canon.  I don't think Solo manages to do that; it spends too long finding excuses for trivial lines from the original trilogy.  I rather enjoyed the Last Jedi, the force powers were refreshing and a lot more engaging than the hyperbolic-nostalgia trip that the Force Awakens was.  However Last Jedi did deliver the 2nd worst line of dialogue from any StarWars film: "Godspeed" .... the first mention of God and created a big cognitive dissonance for me.  But Nothing will beat "I don't like sand" .....nothing....terrible... :(

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 06:18:26 AM »
I had no problems with the force or anything Luke Skywalker did in TLJ.  Everything else though was just bad.  That must have been the slowest chase sequence in film history.  I felt like I was watching OJ Simpson's Bronco flee from the empire.  Nothing that Finn, Poe, Rose, or Laura Dern did made any sense whatsoever.  Some of the visuals were pretty good I guess. 

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 02:51:29 AM »
I enjoyed star wars and empire strikes back. Disliked return of the jedi, I was 15 in 1983 and this film seemed to be aimed at a younger audience with all those teddy bears. I watched the next one at the cinema but the magic had gone for me and I haven't watched any more new stuff.
I did also watch the remaster of Star Wars and that film still holds its own in my opinion.

I still enjoy playing the carcassonne themed game by the way.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
For Sale: Carcassonne Star Wars

Started by danisthirty

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2024, 07:23:58 AM
by Maiday
question
Element of the Week #57 – Equipment (from Star Wars)

Started by Whaleyland

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2017, 06:41:08 AM
by Willem
xx
Carcassonne: Star Wars Expansion 1

Started by Fritz_Spinne

28 Replies
Last post August 01, 2016, 04:08:50 AM
by danisthirty
question
Star Wars - Expansion 1