Guillotine
1 (2%)
Cribbage
4 (8%)
New York 1901
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: May 19, 2017, 12:09:56 PM

Author Topic: Top 10 Games - Poll #5  (Read 6159 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Top 10 Games - Poll #5
« on: May 12, 2017, 12:09:56 PM »
If you've been following Carcassonne Central lately, you'll know I've been collecting nominations for the Carcassonne Fan's top 10 games (which are not Carcassonne).  Who better than to ask than you, members of the largest Carcassonne Community!

Nominations are now closed, with a whopping ~166 gaming franchises chosen by you all.  But that does leave us with a difficult question....Which are the top 10 games!

To be clear, I'm not going to attempt to rank all the games, just find those top 10 games we all enjoy.

I'll cut to the chase:  I've grouped the games up randomly into batches of ~20 games.  Every voter has 3 votes they may cast against any games.

You have 7 days to vote, voting will close and The top 2-3 games will be moved into the next knock-out round.  The other games, will be left forgotten.  Hopefully this will help us determine which games are our most favourite.

Here is today's poll - which will close on the 19th May. 

Don't vote hastily though, now is the time to persuade others to cast their votes wisely and back your game!

We're running the [http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3318.0]4th Poll in parallel[/url], which ends tomorrow, so there's still chance to change the outcome!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3323.0

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 Games - Poll #5
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 12:15:32 PM »
7 Wonders with 7 players is outstanding.  I've played it half a dozen times.  I've never won no matter my strategy but I still love it.  I've not played with less than 7 players, so not sure if it loses something with less players.  Last time out we played with a couple of the official expansions too.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »
Not nearly as stacked a poll for me as the last one. I voted for 7 Wonders and Karuba and there were no other games that I have played.

7 Wonders looks like it will be the leader of this poll. I'm sure many people will have a lot to say about it. All I'll add is that in these threads I like to relate the games I vote for back to Carcassonne where possible to show why people might like to transition from Carcassonne to one of these games. Mechanically, Carcassonne and 7 Wonders don't seem to have much in common, but they're both family-friendly SdJ winners with historical themes and they both have a number of expansions that can enrich the game. If you want to really stretch it, the Babel expansion for 7 Wonders kind of offers tile-laying.   ;D

I own Karuba and we played it at one of the CC meetups in the UK last year. It's a bit of a pain to set up because you have to order everyone's tiles except the caller, but it does offer quite a bit for Carcassonne fans. It's a route-building, tile-laying game where you are trying to get four explorers to four temples in the Latin American jungle, Indiana Jones style. It's pretty much a multi-player solitaire where everyone has the same conditions, thanks to the number-calling mechanism for tile-acquisition, and everyone is trying to best their opponents with those same conditions. There are a couple of difficult things to get used to for Carcassonne players: firstly, that roads can end in the middle of the jungle, and secondly, that the RRRR tiles, easily my least favourite tiles in Carcassonne, are the most valuable tiles in Karuba, because playing them allows you to create criss-cross routes which is really important, and because discarding them allows your adventurers to move in the most efficient way. It's lighter than Carcassonne overall, but it's a nice game with attractive components and artwork.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 12:46:56 PM »
I voted 7 Wonders only.

Although Saboteur we've played a few times with my local friends and enjoyed it, I didn't feel it was an awe inspiring game when you have 7 Wonders on the list.
  Caverna probably would be a fun game for me, but never played it. I did play Agricola, though, which I understand is similar.

The rest on the list, I don't think I've had the pleasure of trying out.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Erreth

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »
Had to go with Cribbage here!  Almost always up for a game.  Love to teach it to new people, even though most think I'm just making up ways to score as we go!!

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 01:54:32 PM »
I really enjoy New York 1901, so I voted for that. 

We own Qwirkle and King of Tokyo/NY.  Those are good games, but not great games.  In fact Qwirkle is on my "trade away" list.  During demo games, I found out that Quadropolis, Karuba, Munchkin, and 7 Wonders aren't for me.  I really want to try Caverna and Scythe.  I hear a Scythe app is coming out soon and I am looking forward to giving it a go. 

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 04:11:41 PM »
7 Wonders with 7 players is outstanding.  I've played it half a dozen times.  I've never won no matter my strategy but I still love it.  I've not played with less than 7 players, so not sure if it loses something with less players.  Last time out we played with a couple of the official expansions too.
I had a 7 player 7 Wonders just the day before yesterday. Came in second, but 5th place was tied just 6 points behind the winner! Only the 7th was a little more behind.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 04:26:22 PM »
Here are my votes:

Cinque Terre - First choice is easy for me though it might not be easily recognized. This is absolutely one of my all time favourite games. It's simple enough, pick up produce from fields and deliver completed orders to the 5 villages. For the simplicity this is still a thinky game that will keep you coming back for more! My BGG rating is a '9' and have played 14 times.

See my Carc Central review here: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2816.msg41567#msg41567
BGG link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/124052/cinque-terre

Memoir '44 - Very good game with low complexity, (base game - expansions add more complexity). It's not the lightest theme but has a very strong historical element that really helps carry the game play.

7 Wonders - I've thrown another vote this way. A good choice for a gateway game!

Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 04:58:42 PM »
Last quiz there was literally nothing for me to vote on, this quiz there are like six of my games! Decar, you are making this very difficult.

I had to go with 7 Wonders, Memoir '44, and Guillotine. 7 Wonders is a great gateway game, easy to learn, fast, and can play up to 7 (or 8 with Cities) players, which is all great for a non-party game. The mechanics are smooth and the graphics are appropriate. Memoir '44 is definitely my favourite war game. I was an Axis & Allies player back in the day, but games lasting over 24 hours just lose their fun factor at some point. Memoir base games never really go longer than an hour, which is great. I only wish the maps were a bit more balanced – many skew in favour of one side or another. Guillotine is my all-time favourite game, which may seem weird since it is so simple. But man does that game have some surprisingly complex strategy for what it is. Add to that the theme of beheading French nobles during the Revolution and this ends up being one of the best thematic games on my shelf. True story: I have made an expansion for this (art pending) called "The 4th Day". In fact, I have made multiple scenarios supplements for Memoir '44 and a combined player aide for 7 Wonders, so all of these are something I have personally worked with.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 01:12:31 AM »
For me it was quite the opposite. Many games, I would have liked to vote for in some of the previous rounds, but only game I have played in this one except "7 Wonders" had been "King of Tokyo", which I really did not enjoy enough to give it a vote for.

"7 Wonders" is a great game, and probably the odds-on favourite to win the final poll, since many people here really like it. But I would be cautious to call it a "great gateway". It works fine, as long as people are comfortable with a little rule explanation upfront. I'm not that bad in teaching game, had two groups to teach "Brass" last week (due to the reprint, which ended it's Kickstarter campaign day before yesterday), and it went very well with both. But I had a big fail with my family with "7 Wonders", because one uncle of mine could not wait and listen patiently for a few minutes my rule explanation. He insisted to play an "intro game" with open cards and explanations during the game instead. The game went for about 2 hours and everybody from my family loathed it afterwards. Have not played it with them ever since. So my take of the game would be a "Gateway+", people have to be at least patient enough to get a little rule explanation. It got the "Kennerspiel des Jahres" rather then the (red pawn) "Spiel des Jahres" award for a reason.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 02:16:43 AM »
I voted for Munchkin because the backstabbing nature of the game makes this ideal for playing with family and the in jokes on the cards haven't worn off yet.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 02:20:01 AM »
Sorry whaleyland, if I've learnt anything from these polls there is a great diversity of games everyone enjoys.  When putting this list together I thought there wouldn't be too many games people would like, but the results are interesting so far!

As for cribbage, I really like this old card game, and as boring as it sounds, it helped my mental arithmetic as a kid if nothing else!

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 02:22:12 AM »
Cribbage is great.  Never seen 29 scored in 1 hand though.  Maybe one day.  Didn't vote for it though as so many of my favourite games are on poll #5.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 09:40:43 AM »
"7 Wonders" is a great game, and probably the odds-on favourite to win the final poll, since many people here really like it. But I would be cautious to call it a "great gateway". It works fine, as long as people are comfortable with a little rule explanation upfront.

Good points. I noticed in the comments section to the Watch It Played videos about 7 Wonders on YouTube that a few people said they didn't understand the game from reading the rulebook and that the videos really helped them.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 02:56:20 PM »
Thanks for the poll Decar!

I think Quadropolis is a great game. I rarely win at it, but I generally like games with a city-building theme and as Decar said on another post recently, it has a wonderful tile-drafting mechanic and lots of mathsy strategic decision making if you like that kind of thing. I'm yet to play it in Expert mode, but Classic has provided plenty of fun games so far.

I also voted for Zombies!!! because nobody else was going to and because I like Zombies and think it's a cool game. True Story: this is quite possibly the only boardgame currently in my boardgame collection that has been there for longer than Carcassonne. For some reason it was in loads of Waterstones stores at Christmas 2006 and I insisted Becky bought it for me. I was a bit put off once I'd read the rules, so never really got round to playing it for a few (10?) years but now that I "get" it and can explain the rules to new players it's always something I'm keen to get to the table.

My final vote went to Karuba. I played it during the CC meetup that jungleboy mentioned in a previous post and it was an instant hit. I enjoyed the theme and the fact that I was battling my way through a jungle, and also the way that it plays with one person calling out the numbers and everyone else adding to their maze accordingly. Not something the kids are ready for yet, but looking forward to the day when they are.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:29:06 AM by danisthirty »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Top 10 Games - Poll #1

Started by Decar

35 Replies
Last post June 22, 2017, 03:01:45 PM
by wolnic
question
Top 10 Games - Poll #8

Started by Decar

17 Replies
Last post July 11, 2017, 01:00:39 AM