Author Topic: First game with new artwork  (Read 19563 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: First game with new artwork
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 03:04:05 AM »
The mixed board doesn't look as bad as I thought it would and it does highlight the much more populated cities.

I was quite surprised by how well the tiles went together actually. I thought it would be far more obvious, and somewhat hideous, but I actually quite like the one that I did in stripes as it looks as though the fields have had a lawn-mower going over them!

I assume that the larger farms in the countryside are intended for use in a future expansions. If so, it is a smart forward-thinking move that should have been present in the original printed game.

Indeed. But who could have predicted how successful Carcassonne was going to become in order to see the necessity of planning ahead in this way?

Maybe a more realistic scenario would be to try the New Edition with one or two major expansions? I'd be curious to see that.

Another good idea! But something that will have to wait until the weekend I’m afraid purely because of how long expanded games tend to take. A game using just the basic tiles can take us as little as 15 minutes to complete although it’s usually closer to 20. Even with just I & C + T & B the game-time would increase to over an hour. With two sets of base tiles I expect the game will be 35 – 40 minutes long.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 03:33:26 AM »
danisthirty, I got a request: can you make a mixed map of old and new tiles to show how well they actually interact? I know it's been done before, but it would be good to see it in your lighting.

New mixed with old (quarters):

New mixed with old (stripes):

I was going to do a chequered one but I ran out of time. Instead, I'll see if I can persuade my wife to play a double-base game this evening and will mix the tiles up in a bag. Will take a photo of the resulting landscape and post it here.

Now that I see the new art up close, I must withdraw my previous statement of how 'pukative' they looked. They look rather nice and I do like it in general. In a way, it's like computers, forcing the base (computer / board game) to demand higher resolution to be able to enjoy much cooler graphics.
  Carcassonne does the same, demanding higher resolution of pictures so people don't get nauseous.  ;)

I also like the grass now that I've had a chance to see it in much closer detail. In a way, that's how real grass is in nature unattended by man. As described in earlier post on this thread by others, it looks like a sea of grass and that is how grass should be.

7 seconds of grass stock photo:  :)

:meeple:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:48:38 PM by danisthirty »
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 01:22:09 PM »
The mixed board doesn't look as bad as I thought it would and it does highlight the much more populated cities.

I agree that it doesn't look as bad as I thought but I still think it's too bad for me to ever considering playing them both together, plus I think it would look worse without such a neat division of tiles into quarters or strips.

I assume that the larger farms in the countryside are intended for use in a future expansions.

What do you mean by larger farms?

Personally, I am not keen on the new art, but the mixed game looks no different than a game with some of the fan expansions or indeed some of the official expansions which have poorer colour consistency.

I don't play with fan expansions above all for that reason. And the poor colour consistency in some Spielbox expansions (especially the Cathars and Plague) will never stop bothering me (re: the Cathars, that's why I'm so happy to have the Besiegers now, because it goes better with the other tiles). So a mixed game with new and old art is a no-go for me. The art is basically the biggest reason I like the game, so if you mess with that, you mess with my enjoyment :)

Offline coyote

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 1
  • Square Tile
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 06:15:07 AM »
I assume that the larger farms in the countryside are intended for use in a future expansions.

I think he's meaning the larger farmhouses. (Which, I just noticed, do appear much larger than, say, the houses inside the city tiles..)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 11:21:12 AM »

I think he's meaning the larger farmhouses. (Which, I just noticed, do appear much larger than, say, the houses inside the city tiles..)
Yes, that's what I mean. I was going to reply earlier but my iPad was not letting me edit the post properly. FarmHOUSE is definitely what I mean.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 03:51:43 PM »
Hey, so we finally got round to having our 144 tile double base game! Screenshots below:

Game played with 72 tiles from both the old and the new Carcassonne sets (mixed together):

(quality not so great as these photos were taken in quite low light with a phone camera)

Final scores were much closer than I realised. I won by just 3 points!  :blue-meeple: 226 vs 223  :red-meeple:

Overall it was definitely noticeable that the two different styles of art had been mixed together but this was less distracting than I thought it would be and I quite enjoyed the game, and looking at the landscape map afterwards. The roads are much more windy in the new box but when mixed with the old artwork this makes the roads look a lot more interesting, as do the different shades of green for the fields.

The worst thing that I observed in this game was the cccc tile from the old game which really looked out of place surrounded by city tiles from the new game. Apart from this the cities were OK but not so great really.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:49:24 PM by danisthirty »

Offline meepleater

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 05:25:21 PM »
Oddly enough I actually think the mixture of old and new artwork looks better than the new artwork on its own...

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
the biggest difference is the dark ground of the cities of the new edition, this is really bugging.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 05:12:04 AM »
the biggest difference is the dark ground of the cities of the new edition, this is really bugging.

Agreed!

Offline Darwin

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 09:05:05 AM »
I am still looking forward to a review of a game with the new abbot, danisthirty  ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne first edition?? Is it first edition?

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
by Halfling
xx
The Voyages of Marco Polo - First plays, first impressions (image heavy)

Started by franks

5 Replies
Last post November 16, 2017, 06:07:57 AM
by franks
xx
WTB: First Edition, First Print with 70-point scoreboard

Started by Perimones

45 Replies
Last post April 27, 2016, 01:52:37 AM
by Decar
xx
Selling original artwork to fund new game purchases