Author Topic: Ebay, general discussion  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Push

• Freeman
  • Merit: 9
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Ebay, general discussion
« on: December 03, 2017, 01:41:23 PM »
Wow!

Somebody promotes his ebay selling.

And I am completely sure that nobody says him
 " It is not somewhere to go and publicise details of whatever you're trying to sell in an attempt to generate more interest/ money. Please refrain from doing so." OR
"The trouble is, this is a friendly forum aimed at the true fans who are not in it for the money.  Whether it is true or Not, you have portrayed yourself as someone who has only acquired this expansion for the money.  That is fine and your prerogative but it is not in the spirit of the forum."
nobody suspends the thread, nobody deletes the e-bay number.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3672.0
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:44:37 PM by Push »

Offline Xanderx12

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 1
  • Meh
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Ebay, general discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 01:47:26 PM »
Wow!

Somebody promotes his ebay selling.

And I am completely sure that nobody says him
 " It is not somewhere to go and publicise details of whatever you're trying to sell in an attempt to generate more interest/ money. Please refrain from doing so." OR
"The trouble is, this is a friendly forum aimed at the true fans who are not in it for the money.  Whether it is true or Not, you have portrayed yourself as someone who has only acquired this expansion for the money.  That is fine and your prerogative but it is not in the spirit of the forum."
nobody suspends the thread, nobody deletes the e-bay number.

I'm not selling it, I just post the ad in case someone was interested :c

(That's pretty obvius 'cause I'm chilean and the seller is from UK.)

Offline Push

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 01:54:41 PM »
Xanderx12,

It was not about you.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 02:00:19 PM »
Push, i was polite and tried to explain why people were commenting the way they were on your thread but you seem to be just on the attack from the word go today.

I would strongly suggest that you change your tone as the general attitude with which you are presenting is one of confrontation and negativity.  It has already been explained that this is a friendly forum where anyone is welcome to participate in the regular tournaments, and giveaways and such like but all that is asked in return is your friendliness and indeed your opinion on many things - but non confrontationally.

Please consider this.

For information, my posting of an eBay item is so that someone can avoid being ripped off by the expensive one initially listed.  Also I have several items on eBay but don't post them on here for the reason I explained previously.  I am happy t okk try and make a bit of money from Carcassonne items but never ever something that had been gifted to me and I would only post something on here for sale prior to posting on eBay at a cheaper price so that if any of my forum friends need something they can get it before it becomes an inflated price on eBay.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:04:13 PM by Rosco »
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Push

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 02:14:39 PM »
Rosco, I have nothing personally to you.

And  I've never writen to other people about theirs  trade/selling/buying. It is not my bussiness.
But I am extremely surprised when they do this to me. And I think rules should be equal for all.

Otherwise we will have situation when "All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others."

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 02:23:01 PM »
The problem was not that you are selling, not even that you want to make a bit of profit it is the level of profit.   One of or long standing members wad recently criticised as he advertised something for sale at a price which was a lot more than most would be considered reasonable.   The difference is that this particular member has done and given an awful lot for the forum and often buys things locally simply so that he can sell them on at no profit to people who can't get them where they are.   

What you have done is come on to the forum, unknown to others, and posted a confrontational message wanting to sell something at a hugely inflated price.  Credit to you if you have managed to sell it at that price but it has not given a positive impression. 

I see you have given away a Japanese monasteries expansion and that certainly helps.  But please reread your initial message from long standing members point of view and I am sure you will see why members have for rather upset at you.

Offline Push

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 02:40:13 PM »
OK, Rosco.

I'll try to be more patient and try to keep silent until I'll  know more about the forum and its members, and its foundations.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 02:41:44 PM »
OK, Rosco.

I'll try to be more patient and try to keep silent until I know more about the forum and its members, and its foundations.
Fantastic answer !  If you would like to be involved then please do. 

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 12:58:50 AM »
Why does joining in with the community make profiteering any better?  If anything, I think it's worse.  Such a person would be a masquerading behind friendship, rather than an upfront business contract.

If people want to sell things the market will decide to buy or not to buy.  I think it's reasonable to sell an item at it's worth.

With regard to Orwell, we don't live in a communist society either.  People are not equal, some have the opportunity to buy and trade items which others do not have access to; in closed markets.  Having said that, it's nice to see contributions from profits going back to the community, even though it is not a requirement for trade.   :(y)

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 05:06:00 AM »
Not quite what I meant.  I meant that to join in and be part of the community would hopefully encourage the friendly community spirit that we enjoy here.  Those new members would then understand the philosophy of the forum.

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 06:03:19 AM »
@ Xanderx12

I hope you don't have to pay rip-off prices for The Plague.  Unfortunately for you, 2 copies of The Plague (mine and Rosco's if i'm not mistaken) are already claimed in Dan's Spare Bits Giveaway 2017 otherwise you had it almost for free.
Maybe, someone here has still a copy to give away and claim something else in return?

That way of working is so much more in the spirit of this forum: both sides are happy to receive something about Carcassonne they desperately want.

I'm allergic to those eBay-sellers who just have excessive money-making in their mind so i'd rather not have what they sell then pay lot's of money for something they almost bought for nothing solely with in their mind to make lot's of money out of it...but hey, that's just me.
Sure, i bought some expansions people on this forum gave up for sale (Halfling and Valheru included) but i never had the feeling i was being ripped of, considering the original price and the shipping costs.

Good to hear! ;)

Haha,
I don't mind people who make a little profit out of an expansion they had double and find them now redundant or people selling their old-artwork-stuff because to stepped over to the new art...but i'm just not to keen on people whose only reason for being on this forum is making excessive profit with selling hard-to-find expansions...if that's the case, i would advice them to just try their luck on eBay or Marktplaats unless we want this forum to become some kind of stock exchange...in that case, i'll leave...i've never been good in Wall Street stuff

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 06:10:16 AM »
I don't think it's possible to make an excessive profit.  The market runs on supply (or lack of) and demand.  The people I've seen recently are not forcing people to buy items, nor using emotive language (like SUPER RAR!), not setting up a protection-racket to extort people.

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 10:20:06 AM »
Quite right, Decar. Marketplaces like eBay exist so that a buyer and a seller can make a transaction at an agreed-upon price. It's voluntary for both of them, and when the transaction succeeds then both are happy. If Buyer X gives $1,000 to Seller Y for one of Leonard Nimoy's used cigarette butts, then huzzah! for the both of them. (The only person who's unhappy is the other potential buyer who wanted the butts for less money, but that's too bad for him -- there was no entitlement.) If buyer and seller broke no laws, misled nobody, and are both happy, then the rest of us really have nothing to complain about.

It's reasonable to be frustrated when things cost more than we want to pay. Been there myself, many times. I really wish every copy of Crop Circles I that I come across wasn't $100+. But here's the thing we easily forget: if the price were $5 or $10, then the handful of available copies would already all be snapped up and it would be even more unavailable to me. Ironically, the high price can be a factor that actually enhances availability. With perspective, we can see how the secondary market works more to our benefit than our detriment.

I have to admit I am weary of the demonization of eBay and its users. Trying to characterize sellers as abusive merely based on price, when all they are doing is trying to get what the market will offer ... well, that labeling itself is actually an abusive behavior. Unless of course the seller has actually done something wrong ... but in my experience, legal or moral wrongdoing is more often an assumption on the part of the third-party critic, and "moral high ground" is often just an illusion.
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 08:25:25 AM »
Now, having said all that, the other side of the coin of course is that some of these sellers are freaking insane:

Of course these items probably won't sell, but I have to admit that I am perversely tempted to contact "lost$$found" and ask them if they took their meds.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:01:29 AM by Just a Bill »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 01:27:41 PM »
Topic was split from original thread.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
New general rule for The Wells

Started by Bumsakalaka

8 Replies
Last post February 19, 2024, 01:07:04 PM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Archived General Board

Started by gantry

0 Replies
Last post February 07, 2013, 07:42:00 PM