Author Topic: ThirstyMeeples - 30th April 2016  (Read 51373 times)

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Re: ThirstyMeeples - 30th April 2016
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2016, 01:08:53 AM »
Had a really good time yesterday, it was great to meet up with you guys again. Can't believe how quick the day went though! Thanks for introducing me to some of the spin-off variants, I particularly enjoyed Gold Rush.
Cheers for the Meeples Decar and thanks for recommending the curry house JT, merit to both.
Hope you all had a safe trip back and hopefully see you all again soon.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2016, 01:39:40 AM »
Great to hear it all went ok and you guys had fun.

And that mirror. Very nice!
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2016, 02:39:33 AM »
Thirsty Meeples is tucked away on a small market square in the centre of Oxford.  On Saturday 30th April a very busy market was running obscuring the shop for the average passer by.

I had arrived a little early - perhaps 20 minutes or so - the shop only had a few customers in it.  But one thing was very apparent..... They had A LOT of games in their library:

Their shop was pretty impressive too:

I spent a few minutes becoming accustomed to the layout and Halfling arrived, we chatted for a few minutes and then both agreed that we should get down to business and start playing.  A quick game of basic Carcassonne.  Within a matter of minutes Curt, Rich_The_Fish and JTAtomico arrived.

For many of us, it was the first time we had played with the Abbot.  I quite liked this mini-expansion, I don't think it detracted from the game and it meant we could risk more on cloisters and helped with balancing 5-players.  The game was pretty intense, I was doing quite well by magically drawing all the cloisters.  JT won the game by securing a large farm!

Next it was time for Gold Rush.  Again I think this was new to most of us.  I certainly enjoyed the mining token / tent aspect of the game.  I didn't seem to score many rail-roads, but got a few points for the cloistery-thing.
Here's the end game:

It was a very close finish!

Next, we decided to split into 2 smaller groups.  Curt,JT and Halfling played Carcassonne:The City, while Rich and I played Carcassonne:The Castle.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of the City game, but did take a snap at the end of our Castle game:

I think it was pretty safe to say, that neither Rich or myself had any idea what we were doing; I put my victory down to having played the game once before.

Rich The Fish then shared with us: Between Two Cities.  At first it sounded extremely complicated; the wording in the rule book wasn't fantastic either.  But actually, a lot of the set-collecting, pattern making elements of the game were quite intuitive.

If I remember correctly, Halfling's investments in pubs paid off and his lowest scoring city made him the winner.  You have to be happy knowing that was a worth investment.

Shortly afterwards Rich showed me the 2-player variant.  I wasn't as taken with this, it was an almost solitary experience.

I lost track of the other table around this time.  I think a game of New World had started, now that Dan and Nick were present.

Rich The Fish and I thought we'd have a go at - Single Colour Carcassonne:

I enjoyed this simple variant, but I think it might be even better with 3 players!

As is customary with all Carcassonne Central Meetups, a game of South Seas has to be played:

Even though I lost, I feel I got the moral victory by claiming the ship with the smiley-face, so I was happy.

While we were finishing here, I turned around to find our other table playing:  My First Carcassonne:

Good Thumb-sucking action Halfling  ;) ;)

The day was almost over at this point.  Jungleboy had just enough time to teach us Karuba, which had been on my radar for a while.  The game was very quick, but organizing those tiles was a pain at the start.  I didn't score very highly....mainly because I sent my Purple Adventurer to the Brown Temple....thankfully there was no photographic evidence of this.

Our second table managed to get one quick game of Tsuro in and even found time for Hunters and Gatherers!

Here's the motely crew: Curt194, JTAtomico,Decar,DanisThirty,Rich_The_Fish,Jungleboy,Halfling

We had a great time at Thirsty Meeple, the staff were very attentive and knowledge about their gaming library.  The sausage rolls were pretty good too!

We ended the day at 5pm, had a quick drink in a pub before Dan had to shoot off and pay his parking fines.  Finally we ended the day at Chutney's, a curry house recommended  by JT Atomico (+1 for that).

Thanks for everyone making the effort to come yesterday; it's great to see the UK's Carcassonne Community leading the charge!  It was a bit of a shame we didn't get time for 7 Wonders (I'd been practising) nor Colt Express, but we have to save something for next time!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:28:43 AM by Decar »

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2016, 03:19:07 AM »
Great write-ups everyone and the photos look brilliant! I'm glad that the curry recommendation was ok ;D

Thanks again for organising it Decar. I'm looking forward to seeing many of you again at the UK championships.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #124 on: May 01, 2016, 04:14:54 AM »

Also a Merit for Rich_The_Fish for noticing the illegal tile placements (hint - The River).  :(y) :(y)

PS: Yesterday was the first time I advised 5 grown men to visit the toilet - not at the same time though you understand!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 04:17:21 AM by Decar »

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2016, 04:47:41 AM »
Wow, this really was a meeting with lots of types of Carc. 8) Great report and pictures, thanks!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2016, 05:02:43 AM »
P.S. I somehow managed to come away from Thirsty Meeples with 7 new games! And even more amazingly, we managed to fit them all into our two easyJet carry-on bags for the flight home :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2016, 05:30:07 AM »
Haha, it wasn't from lack of trying jungleboy!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2016, 07:00:00 AM »
PS: Yesterday was the first time I advised 5 grown men to visit the toilet - not at the same time though you understand!

"I advise you to visit the toilet Dan..." Yes, this was strange advise indeed. If I'd needed to go I would have understood why it was so important to you, but as it was I was more concerned about other toilet users wondering why I was there without needing to go. At this point I'm certainly not going to make any references to an easily attainable "rank" we used to have here at CarcC. :-* C:-) :-[ :(n)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:14:10 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2016, 11:00:49 AM »
A bright and sunny Saturday morning had me unusually waking in South Didcot thinking of strategies for 7 Wonders.  And why is that out of the ordinary?  well that is because I'm usually mulling over an expansion of Carcassonne, obviously.  The dream turned out to be ironic, but more of that later.
A smooth transition via the park and ride thanks to a suggestion by Rich_The_Fish had me arriving at the hallowed ground of Thirsty Meeples Cafe bang on time.  A hug for my wife and daughter who exited stage left and I ventured inside to meet Decar at our reserved double table.  Awesome.  The table not too shabby either.  Good to meet a fellow Carcassonnecentral member at long last.  Next in were JT Atomico, Curt194 and Rich_The_Fish.
1st up was Carcassonne II in which I managed to 5th of 5 players.
Then Carcassonne: Gold Rush and I improved to 4th place.  (I didn't take in who won either of these games)
Carcassonne: The Castle was a new game to Curt194, JT Atomico and myself.  We all enjoyed it and I managed a win thanks to owning the 'farm equivalent' and snapping up 32 points.
Between 2 Cities was a step outside my Carcassonne comfort zone but a second win was achieved, somehow and yes - pubs played an important role as they seemed to be the only tile type that scored twice in the rules explanation.  That's my reasoning and I'm sticking with it.
Next up was Carcassonne: New World.  A game I have been trying to get hold of for a while.  It's not as good as The Castle, perhaps, but I liked the concept and finished tied- second with DanisThirty only a point or so behind Jungleboy.  JT Atomico was robbed of a win thanks to the low scoring value of the animals in his farms.  1 point each animal, harsh!
Then both tables played Carcassonne: South Seas.  No idea how Rich, Dan and Decar fared, but a very tight game on our side of the table finished 26, 26, 26 and 28 points in my favour.  Hurrah.  Can it get much closer?
I think we snuck in a game of Tsuro next.  I was a poor fourth of 4 players.  But a rule clarification on Tsuro of the Seas may have resurrected this variant for Curt194.  Time will tell.  Jungleboy took the win after the rest of us sailed off into the sunset.
They had it so we played it.  What's that I hear you ask - My First Carcassonne we replied!!  JT Atomico let slip that a copy of this game is in his collection....but unopened.  Either way he owned it and beat us by a single tile.  Another fourth place for yours truly, of 4 players.
Our final game was Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers.  A game that Curt194, JT Atomico and I all know well from what I remember.  An even game was won by Curt194 with only minutes to spare before we lost our table.
6 hours just flew by.  Time to say our farewells and for me to meet up with Maria and Anita and enjoy a Pizza at Jamie Oliver's place.  A great day and I hope to meet you all again soon.
I didn't play Carcassonne: The City but did manage 7 Carcassonne variants.  Is the 8 variants played by some of the others a Carcassonnecentral record for a 6 or 24 hour period?
And finally the irony - we didn't get to play 7 Wonders.  A dream wasted and a win by being a warmonger isn't the greatest strategy anyway!

ah yes! Thanks to Decar for arranging and for the two meeples.  These are to be made into cufflinks which I shall wear to work on Tuesday.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:14:03 AM by Halfling, Reason: spell checking »
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2016, 03:41:51 PM »
Great write up Halfling! I'm glad you were taking notes for the other table, I totally lost track once the games got out of sync.

On a side note Bretspiel world offersan online implementation of 7 Wonders, perhaps we can organize a game one evening or weekend to play.

CarcassonneCentralCufflinks! With alliteration like that it cant be wrong!  I've got a photo I'll put up tomorrow so others can see. You can all thank my wife for the handy work. She cut up and stuck down the artwork.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2016, 04:39:20 PM »
Great to see that the UK has now their own members-meeting.

I hope to meet some of you in October this year at Spiel in Essen.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2016, 01:28:39 AM »
It looks like a very successful event! Thanks for the detailed reports and keep it up! ;)
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2016, 06:29:56 AM »
Next up was Carcassonne: New World.  A game I have been trying to get hold of for a while.  It's not as good as The Castle, perhaps, but I liked the concept and finished tied- second with DanisThirty only a point or so behind Jungleboy.  JT Atomico was robbed of a win thanks to the low scoring value of the animals in his farms.  1 point each animal, harsh!

Yet he still managed a 19-point farm, the second highest scoring feature of the game!

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2016, 09:29:48 AM »
Late report from me but thank you everyone for a wonderful day. Was lovely seeing people again as well as meeting a couple of new faces.

I arrived just after 11 (after numerous train delays) and we all quickly got into a base game with the new artwork. This was my first time playing the new art and abbots, and I thought the abbots were a nice addition, making Monastries a much less risky proposition.

I then very much enjoyed playing through all the different spin-offs, a lot of which I have been wanting to try for a very long time. I think it might be time for me to try and get hold of a copy of the city! The castle was interesting but I'm not sure I could quite get my head around the different features in this one. Goldrush was a lot of fun with the mining mechanics, more so than I was expecting.

I look forward to seeing everyone who's going to the games expo in June and hopefully another meet up later in the year.

Merit to Decar for organising the day and the souverniers! Also merit to JT for the food recommendation!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Carcassonne tile backs changing (APRIL APRIL)

Started by Meepledrone

45 Replies
Last post April 03, 2021, 02:39:30 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
30th Anniversary Gathering of Friends Meeple

Started by Willem

0 Replies
Last post January 20, 2024, 04:21:43 AM
by Willem
xx
New old rule from HiG or 1st April joke