Alhambra
3 (2.1%)
Ticket to Ride
12 (8.5%)
Kingdomino
8 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: June 20, 2017, 02:24:19 AM

Author Topic: Top 10 Games - FINAL POLL  (Read 9886 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Top 10 Games - FINAL POLL
« on: June 07, 2017, 02:27:49 AM »
Over the last few weeks we've been running polls to determine what our favourite non-Carcassonne games are.

We had almost 170 nominations (see here) and have just completed our 8th preliminary poll.

The winners of each of those poll can be found here:

Poll 1: 7 Wonders Duel, Poker, Thurn & Taxis
Poll 2: Splendor, Pandemic
Poll 3: Settlers of Catan, Stone Age, Colt Express
Poll 4: Cacao, Codenames, Isle of Skye,  Santorini
Poll 5: 7 Wonders
Poll 6: Dominion, Kingdom Builder, Rummikub
Poll 7: Castles of Burgundy, Alhambra
Poll 8: Ticket to Ride (inc: Europe or Nordic Countries), Kingdomino

That's an impressive list of 20 games!

Unlike previous polls, this one will run for 10 days and each participant is given 4 votes!

Like I said previously - cast your votes wisely!

Good Luck!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3380.0

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 Games - FINAL POLL
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 04:15:48 AM »
This was really tough.  There are 8 games I really want to vote for.  If the question was, "what are the best games?", I would have picked Santorini.  I think that is honestly the best game on this list.  The question concerns our favorite games.   Unfortunately there are 4 other games that hit the table more than Santorini, so I didn't give it a vote  :'(

For the past month, Kingdomino is the only game that has hit the table.  Nobody seems to want to play anything else.  Will that feeling last forever?  Probably not, but right now it is my family's favorite game. 

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 06:17:10 AM »
A tough pick. There were 6 games that I liked. Some games are similar so I put them in categories and voted from there.

1. Card game: Splendor. Love this game. Easy to learn and a great filler for those 15-30 mins of free time or winding down after a long day. Runner up in this category is Dominion. Although a fun game, I fancy playing Splendor more.

2. Tile game, sort of: Catan. As mentioned in another post, this is the official name for the game. "Settlers of" has been removed. ;) What's great about the game is the chill of it. A decent elaborate game that keeps you busy enough to focus on the game but also allows for social chat during it. Several expansions to allow variety, but to be honest, the base game is much more preferred. Cacao and Isle of Skye was definately favourites but Catan predates these and feels still holds ground for replayability.

3. Party game: Codenames. Great game for 6 players and more. Easy to learn that will involve everyone to pitch in and try to dictate the logic of everyone. I believe co-op games are much more fun than competing against everyone when it's a big gaming group.

Honorable mentions are: 7 Wonders (also a great game!), Rummikub (family tradition) and Ticket to Ride.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 07:27:21 AM »
I only have my phone with me while I'm on the Camino de Santiago, I can't vote on TapaTalk, and I can't seem to log in to the forums on my phone browser. So no final vote for me :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 07:39:37 AM »
must be an iPhone feature.  Please let us know what you're votes would be though - maybe we can sort something out!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 08:04:26 AM »
I only have my phone with me while I'm on the Camino de Santiago, I can't vote on TapaTalk, and I can't seem to log in to the forums on my phone browser. So no final vote for me :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Tapatalk is an issue we can't resolve unfortunately, that's on their part.
  What browser do you use on your phone? It's a long shot but if there is an option in the menu for "desktop version", it might allow to show the polls.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 08:57:52 AM »
must be an iPhone feature.  Please let us know what you're votes would be though - maybe we can sort something out!

I can't see the list to vote on :(

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 08:59:59 AM »
Lucky I put the list on my first post!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 09:00:02 AM »
What browser do you use on your phone? It's a long shot but if there is an option in the menu for "desktop version", it might allow to show the polls.

Safari. The issue is that I'm not logged into the site and when I try to log in, it tells me my details are incorrect, and the 'forget password' feature doesn't seem to work.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 12:00:35 PM »
Only played 4 of these.  Easy for me to vote!
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 07:14:38 PM »
Stone Age Worker placement is a great mechanism and this is one the best choices in that area.

Splendor Easily to teach with the staying power that hasn't tired for us.

Isles of Skye Not the same staying power as Splendor for us but a great, great game none the less!

Ticket to Ride Kind of an obvious choice but I still struggled with this last spot. There are many games that are good to great on the list. No denying TTR is a great gateway game!
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 01:54:08 AM »
A great selection of games franks!

How is 2-player Stone Age for you?

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 04:21:04 AM »
I kind of wonder, what makes TtR so popular with so many people? For me it's an OK game at best. My main gripe is, that there is in more games then not at least a sequence of turns, where you can do nothing else then taking the top two cards from the deck and hoping for at least one wild or one of a colour you desperately need. But turn after turn after turn, you get just garbage, even if there are several colours, you would need!

At this point you have close to zero decision space, and the game gets really boring or even frustrating. And this can take up to 10 minutes in an hour long game, or at least it feels that way. That's why I prefer Thurn & Taxis by a mile. It shares some mechanics, it feels kind of similar, but you have to do something meaningful every turn. (Or else you bust.) That's why for me it's the superior TtR.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 05:58:19 AM »
A great selection of games franks!

How is 2-player Stone Age for you?

Thanks Decar, 2 player Stone Age is Excellent. Never mind that is the only way i've played it, so might be slightly biased.  :D

The game seems to scale well. By that I mean there are limited actions in a 2 player game that keeps it tight. It's not as tight and stressful as Agricola but still has a good tension on choices. Also with variable paths to victory one can always work on a positive aspect. There is good variability in the buildings and cards. Best of all at games end there is a feeling of accomplishment with the card sets and buildings. We have added the expansion that has mixed reviews but after dozens of plays we were happy to add it into all our games now for more variability. As always, I'm a HiG production fan and I think this is one of their, other, classics. Highly recommended, though I did ramble on a bit  ;)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 07:06:09 AM »

Thanks Decar, 2 player Stone Age is Excellent. Never mind that is the only way i've played it, so might be slightly biased.  :D

The game seems to scale well. By that I mean there are limited actions in a 2 player game that keeps it tight. It's not as tight and stressful as Agricola but still has a good tension on choices. Also with variable paths to victory one can always work on a positive aspect. There is good variability in the buildings and cards. Best of all at games end there is a feeling of accomplishment with the card sets and buildings. We have added the expansion that has mixed reviews but after dozens of plays we were happy to add it into all our games now for more variability. As always, I'm a HiG production fan and I think this is one of their, other, classics. Highly recommended, though I did ramble on a bit  ;)

We have only played with 3 or 4 and it works great too.  The rules change slightly to limit actions with fewer players.  Once the differences are known, you are good to go.  I haven't played with the main expansion yet.  It really looked terrible from the game play video we saw, so we never tried to get it.  Maybe if the reprint goes on sale, I will pick it up.  We have the little promo expansions and they are fun but not too game changing.   

My son never sends his people to the "love hut" because he doesn't like having more mouths to feed.  He has never won. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Top 10 Games - Poll #2

Started by Decar

18 Replies
Last post May 07, 2017, 11:17:54 AM
by Decar
question
Top 10 Games - Poll #5

Started by Decar

16 Replies
Last post May 19, 2017, 01:48:59 PM