Author Topic: megacarcassonne : which doubles should i take?  (Read 4211 times)

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
megacarcassonne : which doubles should i take?
« on: December 04, 2014, 02:00:16 PM »
Hello,

A little question to the heavy collectors here who play megacarcassonne games..

Which expansions do you find useful to have multiple of them in a tile game bigger then 400 tiles?

I already sometime use 2 x inns or traders. 

But what of towers? bridges, mayor, sheep etc?
its mostly about the big expansions..

Grtz

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1311.0
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:21:07 PM by MrNumbers »

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Re: megacarcassonne : which doubles should i take?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 02:24:21 PM »
I didn't tried it but I think the major expansions are made for one base game. So think about 2-3 expansions for every base game you use. If you want an effect similar to 1 base game and 1 expansion it is ridiculous to use 18 tower tiles with 400 base game tiles - I think you can double every expansion with fun. For five base games you can use 12 expansions, but don't take expansions you wouldn't take with only one base game.

Gerry

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 03:01:23 PM »
I find with 2 sets of traders and 1 set of the base game you are short on tiles to close off cities so I add 14 city crescent tiles from a second copy of the base game to even things out.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 12:27:07 AM »
Trader's and Builders
Inns and Cathedrals

These two along with GQ11 and other no-new-rules minis you can pretty much throw in as many as you want and it won't affect the game that much.

The Tower

This one would most likely ruin the game a bit. We tried with six towers and meeples ended up captured left and right, even with the houserule to make capturing more difficult. Mainly, it disrupt players from completing a feature and also letting the next player jump in on a huge city and claim it for him or herself.

The Dragon

Throw in as many as you can and watch meeples burn to the crisp left and right! This was hilarous and we honestly really feared the dragon tiles. This kept city sizes in check as it is difficult to keep a meeple alive for several turns.

:meeple:

What to avoid:

The Plague
The Catapult
Wheel of Fortune
The Count
King and Robber

These just stalls the gameflow and is often missed creating an unbalance. Especially after the 2 hour mark when everything is becoming dizzy.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 03:01:32 PM »
What to avoid:

The Plague
The Catapult
Wheel of Fortune
The Count
King and Robber

These just stalls the gameflow and is often missed creating an unbalance. Especially after the 2 hour mark when everything is becoming dizzy.

I would recommend avoiding Bazaars as well if you want to keep gameplay disruption to a minimum (keep bridges & castles though)...

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 03:30:18 PM »
What to avoid:

The Plague
The Catapult
Wheel of Fortune
The Count
King and Robber

I would recommend avoiding Bazaars as well if you want to keep gameplay disruption to a minimum (keep bridges & castles though)...

Agree.

Offline Darwin

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 09:14:57 PM »
When we play big games we always use 2 or 3 base games (depending on how big). We have played games with two of all the expansions, with the exception of only one of the Count, the Plague and the Catapult (which we don’t like), and its works fine I think.

I agree that the Wheel of Fortune, the Catapult and the Bazaars disrupt the game. But as we like to play a little aggressive we always include the Count and the Plague. They maybe have complicated rules, but when you are used to play with them I don't think they interrupt the game so much. In regards to the King & Robber, I think it's a matter of how you keep track of the longest road and the biggest city. We use designated meeples as King and Robber on the scoreboard for this.

In my opinion, the most interrupting game component in a big game is the Barn. In a big game you don't want your meeples stuck on the fields for the entire game, but you don't want to loose your big farm either (Dragon, Tower, Plague), so of course you use the Barn when a nice field emerges. But this gives the opportunity for all the players to get easy points with small connecting farms throughout the rest of the game. We have had games where the farm with the Barn has been scored 6 additional times with connected fields. This really interrupts the game :(

In the end it boils down to what type of game you like to play. But I think it's a good idea to always use 2 or 3 sets of the base game if you play with multiple copies of the big expansions. ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Mixing Elements: Which one should definitly (not) be together?

Started by SRBO

10 Replies
Last post November 30, 2014, 10:57:18 AM
by jungleboy
xx
Mini-Expansions - Which ones should I get?

Started by Babycathannahthomas

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2020, 01:36:28 AM
by Sinscerly
xx
If you would use doubles..

Started by SRBO

3 Replies
Last post August 03, 2014, 10:34:25 PM
by danisthirty
xx
Have some doubles - WTT/WTS

Started by Sinscerly

0 Replies
Last post September 13, 2018, 10:31:18 AM
by Sinscerly
xx
Expansions becoming inconsistent during megacarcassonne games?

Started by corinthiens13

35 Replies
Last post December 16, 2020, 01:36:35 PM
by Bumsakalaka