Author Topic: You should never go to IKEA  (Read 19287 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
You should never go to IKEA
« on: February 06, 2017, 02:29:23 AM »
I exchanged messages with Khalid but unfortunatly my weekend went from slow to crazy in one trip to IKEA, so I missed his availability.
We should be able to arrange something during the week.

The lesson, as always, is that you should never go to IKEA.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3153.0

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: You should never go to IKEA
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 02:34:09 AM »
I exchanged messages with Khalid but unfortunatly my weekend went from slow to crazy in one trip to IKEA, so I missed his availability.

2 months ago I would have agreed with this 100%. But where else am I going to get a 4 x 4 Kallax for my Man Cave?

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 02:41:31 AM »

Clearly you didn't like LEGOs when you were a kid.
I'll think twice now before accepting your invitation to help you mounting IKEA furniture at your new home. But just twice. Once if there is any amount of beer involved.

2 months ago I would have agreed with this 100%. But where else am I going to get a 4 x 4 Kallax for my Man Cave?
A 4 x 4 Kallax?!  ;) If only I had wall space (wife approval).
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 03:19:20 AM »
A 4 x 4 Kallax?!  ;) If only I had wall space (wife approval).

Normally I would be over-ruled too, but we should be moving house in April and the new house have a nice little office building in the back garden and this will be my den/ gym/ games room. I really can't wait to have space to have all of my games together in one place for the first time as half of them are in the loft and the other half fill my wardrobe.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 06:51:13 AM »
I suppose I should explain myself!

I just dislike IKEA quite a lot. In fact, my wife calls it a 'visceral hatred'. For our apartment in Portugal, we got some lighting stuff and an outdoor table from IKEA because it's kind of a necessary evil, but that's it. I just don't like the indoor furniture at all and I dread the actual shopping experience at IKEA which often makes me feel physically ill. I'm fortunate that at the moment I can afford to pay more for something I like than to cave into IKEA and pay less for something I dislike.

Nope, so maybe that explains some of it.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 07:47:00 AM »
I feel your pain jungleboy. Genuinely I do. Before they built one in Reading, our nearest store was in Wembley which was still relatively close but could take hours either way depending on what the London traffic was going to be like. Plus I’d frequently have to sit on the roof or hang out of the window just to make sure we could fit everything into the car.

On a typical visit, after two hours of trawling around all loads of fairly identical stuff I’d lose the will to live and wouldn’t be able to tell what I liked or didn’t like anymore. Becky would say “What do you think of these chairs?” and I’d say “They’re perfect; we should buy them” and Becky would say “That’s a cupboard” and I’d say “Let’s get one of those too then, quick, before they run out”.

If you think Ikea's tough though, you should try it with kids in tow. I used to spend most of my visits trying to prevent them from playing hide and seek around the store or pretending to use the fake toilets in front of other customers. All while pretending to be interested in whether the book-ends “we’ve” chosen match the colour/ design/ pattern of the new cupboard doors or whatever. Now they’re old enough to go in the crèche I find it a lot less stressful, but still rather boring (unless I’m looking for things with funny names to post about on instagram).

The one thing that it does have going for it is the restaurant. I love it! And Becky realised several years ago that she could get me to go to Ikea as often as she likes by promising that we’ll get lunch from the canteen there. Infinity billion meatballs + chips + gravy for the win!

Nope, so maybe that explains some of it.

When’s your birthday? I’m totally getting you a Carcassonne Lego Darmstadt set...

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 08:21:12 AM »
I feel your pain jungleboy. Genuinely I do.

OK, you win!

When’s your birthday? I’m totally getting you a Carcassonne Lego Darmstadt set...

Err, I am a special person who doesn't have birthdays. Which is a shame because that Darmstadt Lego set would have been great. Oh well...

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 10:16:04 AM »

The one thing that it does have going for it is the restaurant. I love it! And Becky realised several years ago that she could get me to go to Ikea as often as she likes by promising that we’ll get lunch from the canteen there. Infinity billion meatballs + chips + gravy for the win!

My wife and I go there just to eat sometimes.  It is the only Swedish restaurant in town. 

I don't like the way the store is laid out.  Why must I walk through the entire store just to see shelves?  I do enjoy putting the furniture together though.  It is a shame that the bookshelves warp so badly under the weight of our games. 

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 01:23:49 PM »
We will have Ikea soon, first in our country. They promise to build it in 1,5 years, and it will be located less than 1 km from my home! I will post in this thread somewhere in 2018 :D
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 01:31:59 PM »
I like ikea. Unlike most showrooms I'm always amazed by their tiny functional spaces.  My billy book cases have lasted me years.  I was also lucky to get some shelfs for my mancave last week. I'll post them here:

My main problem with ikea is all the people...

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 01:51:11 PM »
My main problem with ikea is all the people...

Yes. And also the fact that at least half of them (often the female half) tend to be pregnant. There's definitely something going on there...

Offline Dragonlord

• Count
  • Merit: 15
  • More complex is, more I like it.
    • View Profile
    • Land of Dragons
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 01:55:25 PM »
Never go there, the closest's about 1000 km from my place.  :black1-meeple:

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 09:12:17 PM »

Err, I am a special person who doesn't have birthdays. Which is a shame because that Darmstadt Lego set would have been great. Oh well...
If you don't have birthdays, then I am waiting for you on my annual Carcassonne tournament! ;)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 02:14:10 AM »
If you don't have birthdays, then I am waiting for you on my annual Carcassonne tournament! ;)

Hehe, good memory! So you caught me and my birthday is indeed later this month. But fortunately there's not enough time for danisthirty to find Carcassonne 2 Darmstadt Lego between now and then!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 02:16:31 AM »
But fortunately there's not enough time for danisthirty to find Carcassonne 2 Darmstadt Lego between now and then!

THAT sounds like a challenge to me... ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
sad
Do you own expansions you never play yet still rush out to buy new ones?

Started by Gerry

27 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 10:47:05 PM
by henrysunset
thumbup
Guardian UK newspaper - 20 awesome board games you may never have heard of

Started by loki

8 Replies
Last post August 30, 2015, 04:09:25 AM
by SRBO
xx
Which small expansions will never see a 2.0 reprint?

Started by flipshot

17 Replies
Last post July 12, 2020, 07:31:14 AM
by DIN0
xx
Mini-Expansions - Which ones should I get?

Started by Babycathannahthomas

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2020, 01:36:28 AM
by Sinscerly
xx
megacarcassonne : which doubles should i take?

Started by SRBO

6 Replies
Last post December 05, 2014, 09:14:57 PM
by Darwin