2 (1.9%)
Bridges, Castles and Bazaars
7 (6.7%)
Hills and Sheep
10 (9.6%)
Wheel of Fortune
2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Author Topic: Poll: What's your favourite major expansion?  (Read 22965 times)

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: What's your favourite major expansion?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 07:18:48 PM »
Another vote for T&B. I like that you have tangible resources to show for the hard fought city battles, then the race that ensues as you work for the majority. With that in mind I am also a big fan of the Gold Mines as well.
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 08:15:16 PM »
I like Abbey and Mayor most, because it adds so many new followers and of course abbeys. :D
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 05:37:59 AM »
I'm surprised to see that Traders & Builders is ahead of Inns & Cathedrals (albeit only narrowly) as I'm sure when this question has come up in the past the latter has been voted more popular.

If they were available together (presumably as "Inns, Cathedrals, Traders & Builders") then this would be undoubtedly and unwaveringly be my favourite expansion of all time.

I wonder if HiG might think to pack large expansions like this together in order to get all of them out in the new art style as quickly as possible? If indeed they're going to do this at all, but that's quite another subject...

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 05:50:53 AM »
I wonder if HiG might think to pack large expansions like this together in order to get all of them out in the new art style as quickly as possible? If indeed they're going to do this at all, but that's quite another subject...
I don't think, they will do that, rather that they will pack a new bonus feature like the "Abbot" to every expansion, they release in the new artwork. But if they want to combine main expansions, don't you think, they rather throw in "The Catapult" with I&C. ;D

Tnsol

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 09:35:53 AM »
To me, Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders don't sound like "major expansions". They're great, they had tiles and new scoring mechanism but not much strategy like Princess & Dragon or the Tower.

Those two may be considered as destructive ones but they really bring a lot of thinking before laying tiles on the table (especially the Tower).

I&C and T&B should be packed with every base game set ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:37:47 AM by Tnsol »

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 03:45:57 PM »
To me, Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders don't sound like "major expansions".

Yes, you're right. They are no "major expansions". They are "essential add-ons".  ;D ;D

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 05:21:50 AM »
I still have to play a lot, before I can determine, which is my favorite major, so I won't vote jet. However: this is something to be heard and read alot, and I think, it does not really do justice to A&M:
I think Inns and Cathedrals and the Princess and the Dragon are the only two major expansions where all elements work together perfectly. At the opposite extreme, King, Count and Cult is just a bunch of unrelated mini-expansions put together. To me, Abbey and Mayor, Bridges, Castles and Bazaars and even Hills and Sheep seem a bit like that too.

I think, A&M is a real clean and thoughtfully put together expansion. Probably not according to theme, but then, when was this ever applied to Carcassonne? I mean:  in medieval times, farmers and knights more or less "belonged" to the king, monks to the clerus, and thieves where "free enterprises", so how can you place a follower as one of those to begin with? And theme wise the builder would have fit much better with the cathedral then the trade goods, nevertheless these expansions work better in this combination.

On the other hand: this expansion has a clean goal regarding to game mechanism, everything can be used for: making meeple management "easier" and early farming more rewarding. You get two "special ability meeple", which can be not used for farming, but because of there presence, you can easier spare some of your regular ones for that purpose. And you get an abbey, which can be used to free trapped meeples and/or split big cities, again with potential bigger reward to the farms surrounding. And of course, the barn is the element, where all of this runs together, with it's ability to score farmers during game. So I think, the elements work beautifully together, altering the game in a very different direction, which is, likewise P&D fun to play from time to time. Of course, to further boost this aspect, pig and besiegers are perfect supplements, and I think the second would have made this a perfect expansion, if added to the release. (Although of course nothing to further alter the "meeple management aspect".)

About the pig in T&B: I think, that maybe after the release of I&C, HiG might have thought: hmm, we have included elements to boost roads and cities, we should have done this for farms as well. So on next option, they put something inside for the farmers as well, but to not exactly repeat themselves, changed it to a piece of wood rather than a tile. Surprisingly, it took them years to include vineyards, nevertheless, I would say, pig should have rather going with I&C then T&B, if they had thought of it before.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 05:42:10 AM by Hounk »

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 09:54:22 AM »
For me the only problem with P&D is the fairy marking points for possession, 99% of the times I either forget to move it or forget to score de point for holding it.
One of my house rules is playing without the fairy, I the dragon moves there's no escape.  >:D

Considering the above with the standard rules my favourite is the Tower cause you have the opportunity to take the opponents meeples but have to be extra careful not to have it backfire you.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline BabyGamer

• Duke
  • Merit: 12
  • Aloha! =^_^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 02:26:14 PM »

this one is easy!!!  ^-^

Inns and Cathedrals!!  :))

I like everything in that expansion... AND you get a 6th player. :)  :(y)

There are some other good ones too, but the rest of the expansions have some elements that I don't like.. :( I love the builder, but I'm not exited about the pig and usually forget to use it... I love the shepherd, but the hills are annoying... My least favorite is the catapult, tower, and then bridges, castles and bazaars... yuck yuck yuck...  :P

Offline tangyi

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • Carcassonne Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 11:24:24 PM »
Vote for Inns and Cathedrals. Why can only vote one?

Hills and Sheep looks good but I don't get change to play it with my family. All of them are keen on Inns and Cathedrals!

From my point of view, I do prefer games with some uncertain factors, like playing a dice or drawing a token, etc.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 11:58:34 PM »
On the other hand: this expansion has a clean goal regarding to game mechanism, everything can be used for: making meeple management "easier" and early farming more rewarding. You get two "special ability meeple", which can be not used for farming, but because of there presence, you can easier spare some of your regular ones for that purpose. And you get an abbey, which can be used to free trapped meeples and/or split big cities, again with potential bigger reward to the farms surrounding. And of course, the barn is the element, where all of this runs together, with it's ability to score farmers during game. So I think, the elements work beautifully together, altering the game in a very different direction, which is, likewise P&D fun to play from time to time. Of course, to further boost this aspect, pig and besiegers are perfect supplements, and I think the second would have made this a perfect expansion, if added to the release. (Although of course nothing to further alter the "meeple management aspect".)

Great analysis, I hadn't really thought about it as deeply as this before!

Vote for Inns and Cathedrals. Why can only vote one?

Life isn't always fair :)

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 05:23:11 AM »
if I had to choose just one , I would stay with T & B .
although my usual set usually includes I & C , ABBEY AND MAYOR , CASTLES AND BRIDGES - bazaars , RIO I- II , KING AND ROBBER BARON .
sometimes combined with Count ( tile only ) and hills and sheep.
 :meeple:
When you lose, do not look at what you lost, but what's left to win ..

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 01:46:14 PM »
Has to be Abbey and Mayor for me because of the Abbey tiles and the Barns in particular.

p.s. Who voted for The Catapult?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline totor66

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • Carcassonne semi completionnist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 12:58:05 PM »
Made Inns and Cathedral go first !

Just love the use of the big meeple, so much strategy around this guy, I think the whole game is almost just about him.

I didn't play with all expansions though, but my next order from cundco should solve this problem :)
Carcassonne Fan since 2014

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 02:23:57 PM »
Has to be Abbey and Mayor for me because of the Abbey tiles and the Barns in particular.

p.s. Who voted for The Catapult?

My guess was Yellow (aka paul)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Hans im Glück - Favourite Expansion Poll

Started by Decar

21 Replies
Last post March 21, 2016, 06:52:43 PM
by Whaleyland
xx
Favorite Major Expansion

Started by Carcassonne0123

30 Replies
Last post September 24, 2020, 03:30:43 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
WTB Major Carcassonne Expansions

Started by DavidY

1 Replies
Last post October 21, 2014, 01:47:46 AM
by Duncan90
xx
What's your favourite way to play Carcassonne?

Started by jungleboy

28 Replies
Last post May 06, 2017, 05:20:09 PM
by wolnic
xx
What's your favourite piece of Carcassonne wood?

Started by jungleboy

15 Replies
Last post January 16, 2017, 12:03:32 PM
by Dragonlord