Author Topic: What is the value/rarity of your Carcassonne collection?  (Read 16871 times)

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
What is the value/rarity of your Carcassonne collection?
« on: March 13, 2016, 09:36:20 AM »
Hello guys,

Lately I've been really wondering how much my Carcassonne collection is worth. So I was thinking, isn't there a way to create a system here on this forum to determine the value of each individual collection either in points or some kind of currency?

If there already is such a system please post me a link. If so sorry for the double post.

So I have an idea:

Most expansion can be bought in a store. Ofcourse this value is different in each country, this because of the difference in taxes or the presence of a distributor. Nevertheless we can create a formula that removes the tax. The value that then comes out is then the amount of points that 1 expansion or base game is worth.

So that is the idea for expansions which are still available.
For the expansions like cathars we can create a poll which ask the question how much do you think this expansion is worth? The same for limited editions and all unique parts.

In the end we have a very large list with the value in points for each item. A lot of work but..

It creates some kind of reference guide of how much an item is worth, so that one won't pay double the price for something..

Another reason to create an international system is because my complete collection isnt the same as some elses because of the difference in what ive payed for certain expansions..

The points can then be transfered if someone wishes to, in a factor for their country ( in the netherlands factor 1,21, because of the 21% tax. In New sealand a high factor because of the absence of a distributor.).

I was thinking to take Germany as the reference.

Let me know what you guys think!

Grtz

Steven

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2526.0
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:46:45 AM by SRBO »

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
Re: What is the value of your Carcassonne collection?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 10:49:38 AM »
I think this is an interesting idea  :(y) I wonder how will you evaluate several rare mini expansions and even some non expansions rare artifacts such as 70 - score board.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 11:13:15 AM »
I think value and worth aren't necessarily the same thing.

I also don't want to know how much I've spent and how much my Carcassonne collection is worth.  I don't necessarily think or expect they are the same.

At the end of the day you have to decide how much you're willing to pay for something.  Some people cannot justify paying more than $1 a tile, while others can justify paying $20 more to avoid any hassle.

I suspect rarer items simply won't be sold very frequently and in my opinion this means they should be worth more (low supply and high demand), however others may feel that no piece of cardboard depicting the South French Countryside (or German I suppose) should be worth more than the original asking price and are happy to wait for a deal.

Given everything in the old artwork seems to now be out of print, you would think this would push prices up.  But most people already have everything they want.  I suspect a new market will form in the coming years now that Carcassonne 2 is becoming the norm, it will be interesting to see if HiG make similar 'mistakes' in the future.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 11:15:24 AM »
By making a separate post to ask what people payed for it and are thinking what it is worth in their point of view.

And I will do it also for the limited edition of carcassonne with the 70 scoreboard

Ofcourse only if more people think that it is a good idea

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 12:04:16 PM »
:D
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 05:11:11 PM »
:D

I laughed out loud, I can actually picture you just grinning (even though I don't actually know what you look like.)
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 07:24:36 PM »
I know there is a website, or maybe just a program, that will calculate the value of your games by cross-referencing your BGG library with the average price paid on the BGG marketplace.  I'm sorry I can't remember the link, so that's not very helpful, but perhaps someone can find it if they look hard enough.  I'm not sure if it's possible to see the breakdown, but if so, you could simply add up all your Carcassonne stuff.
Flee the fleas.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 07:46:38 PM »
I know there is a website, or maybe just a program, that will calculate the value of your games by cross-referencing your BGG library with the average price paid on the BGG marketplace.  I'm sorry I can't remember the link, so that's not very helpful, but perhaps someone can find it if they look hard enough.  I'm not sure if it's possible to see the breakdown, but if so, you could simply add up all your Carcassonne stuff.

This I take it? http://bggtools.com/

There is no downloading, simply put your username (sadly you can put any username here, so much for privacy).

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 07:53:44 PM »
Yes, that's right.  I just found it.  That's true that it's not very private. It seems that they didn't consider using it for someone other than yourself when they made it.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 07:56:25 PM »
Oooh. $ $5,056.68 (mean) for 311 games, 23 of which have no value (because nobody's apparently sold them on BGG before). I'm honestly surprised, but I think I could also get more for some of my old Catan promos that haven't been available for a good decade now.

Offline Khonnor

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
    • ~ add me on Facebook ~
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 04:39:26 AM »
Hmmz, according to the program, my Carcassonne collection is worth $911.67, with Corn Circles being the highest value at $66.

Interesting.

• Total Game Value (Mean): $5,229.23 ($20.11 / per game)
• Total Game Value (Median): $4,840.19 ($18.62 / per game)
•Total Games: 297 (including expansions)
•Games with no price: 37 (Never Sold on BGG Market Place)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 04:41:46 AM »
Total Game Value (Mean): $1,431.06 for 90 games. 6 games with $0.00.
If filter only Carcassonne related games: $810.11 for 57 items. Carcassonne Müller Exklusiv-Edition, Carcassonne: Corn Circles II and Carcassonne: Over Hill and Dale are with zero value :o.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 04:59:24 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Updated data »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline totor66

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • Carcassonne semi completionnist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 06:23:50 AM »
Just counted how much I paid everything I have regarding Carcassonne 1: 291 €

I just miss corn circle and cult siege creativity and have couple stuff in twice since I bought 2 big boxes.

Not bad, not bad
Carcassonne Fan since 2014

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 07:30:08 AM »
I think this is an interesting idea but I’m not convinced that any mathematical/ provable method is the way to go. It’s very much a case of beauty being in the eye of the beholder; some people are prepared to spend more than others and what some people might think is a rip-off (“You paid £35 for 4 cardboard tiles?!”) could be a bargain to others (“You bought one of the rarest Carcassonne expansions ever for just £35!”).

I’ve almost certainly spent a lot more on my Carcassonne collection than it is worth if it’s worth is based on how much money I’d get for it if I tried to sell it tomorrow. This is partly down to me being impatient and partly because I didn’t really start collecting until the end of 2012/ start of 2013 when many of the rare/ valuable items had already been established. I don’t feel ripped-off though, regardless of what certain pieces cost when they were new. It’s like Decar says, price depends on supply and demand, and these are changing all the time.

The true worth of my Carcassonne collection comes from my owning everything that I own, and how this makes me feel. I feel great knowing that my collection is complete (almost) even though I’ve defined this “completeness” based entirely on my own standards. Is this feeling worth more than a million pounds? Definitely not. Is it worth more than £1000? Probably, yes. I don’t know what the exact value is, but I do know that it isn’t going to be determined by how much all of its constituent parts recently sold for on BGG or eBay...

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 07:51:48 AM »
Cost:

$29 - Base game with River (Z-man)
$28 - Traders & Builders (Rio Grande without the watermark)
$20 - Abbey & Mayor (Z-man)
$18 - Hills & Sheep (Z-man)
$13 - German Castles + Das Fest
??? - 6 mini expansions (gift from wife)
-----
$108+  total

Priceless - fun had so far

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Calculating the value of your Carcassonne Collection

Started by asp204

34 Replies
Last post September 14, 2018, 01:48:56 PM
by Willem
xx
Catapult Rarity

Started by Ry4Christ

7 Replies
Last post January 28, 2017, 08:07:37 AM