Author Topic: Mediafire woes  (Read 15891 times)

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
Mediafire woes
« on: February 21, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »
Has anyone else had intermittent troubles with Mediafire? I have seen it lately with broken images/links. I wasn't sure if it was my computer or if there are others also seeing problems.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=112.0
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
Re: Mediafire woes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:20:42 PM »
Been working for me the past few weeks.

Offline gantry

• Administrator
  • Chatelain
  • Merit: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 01:02:57 PM »
Mediafire has always been hit and miss, as do a lot of the other services that offer free hosting in return for advertising. The free membership at flickr is the most stable I found, as their revenues come from paid pro accounts.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 07:42:34 AM »
Does anyone know of other free file storage sites?

I know of ImageShack. But it appears you can only host images and not PDF files there.

Offline Carcassebs

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:13:01 AM »
Used that one for my last post with pictures and it worked well: http://tinypic.com/

Offline morris

• Labourer
  • Merit: 7
  • custom user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:38:01 AM »
Dropbox maybe?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:41:22 AM by morris »
M.O.R.R.I.S.: Mechanical Obedient Replicant Responsible for Infiltration and Sabotage
morris#rarlab*com
m_knox @ BGG

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 12:08:44 PM »
Dropbox maybe?

Thanks, I have DropBox but I cannot figure out how to copy a link out of there that I can paste into another site.   >:(
It will only give me an option to send a link somewhere, but doesn't show me the link.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 12:09:42 PM »
Used that one for my last post with pictures and it worked well: http://tinypic.com/

Thanks, it appears that this site only takes images. Not documents. Unless I am not reading it correctly.  :-\

Offline morris

• Labourer
  • custom user
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 10:24:15 PM »
Dropbox maybe?

Thanks, I have DropBox but I cannot figure out how to copy a link out of there that I can paste into another site.   >:(
It will only give me an option to send a link somewhere, but doesn't show me the link.

When you click "Share link" you are presented with a dialog box with two buttons at the bottom: "Send" and "Get link". Use "Get link" to copy the link to your Clipboard.

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 02:51:28 AM »
anyone that has a google account, I'd suggest using google drive for uploading and sharing documents. Just make sure you uncheck the option to covert files unless you want it to be in a native google format.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »
When you click "Share link" you are presented with a dialog box with two buttons at the bottom: "Send" and "Get link". Use "Get link" to copy the link to your Clipboard.

Thanks Morris. I have got this to work for document files (PDF, DOC), but I can't figure out how to get an image to load directly into this dialog. I can do it from Mediafire and ImageShack by copying the "direct" link. In Dropbox I don't get that option. The link pasted to the clipboard is apparently not a "direct" link.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 09:38:08 AM »
anyone that has a google account, I'd suggest using google drive for uploading and sharing documents. Just make sure you uncheck the option to covert files unless you want it to be in a native google format.

Here I also cannot figure out how to find the "direct" link to be able to insert an image into this dialog.  :(

Offline morris

• Labourer
  • custom user
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 11:53:54 AM »

Thanks Morris. I have got this to work for document files (PDF, DOC), but I can't figure out how to get an image to load directly into this dialog. I can do it from Mediafire and ImageShack by copying the "direct" link. In Dropbox I don't get that option. The link pasted to the clipboard is apparently not a "direct" link.
Yup, it's not a "direct" link.

Wait, I just figured out a method to link images to this forum: get the image link as if you were sharing it in a normal fashion, and then append /?dl=1 to it - voila!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:01:08 AM by morris »

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 01:43:56 PM »

Perfect morris. I don't know how you knew that but it's exactly what I was looking for. Merit for you!

Now I can pull document files and image files from one source. I'm a happy meeple!  :red-meeple:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter