Author Topic: Thirsty Meeples visit on Sun 25th Feb  (Read 11660 times)

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Thirsty Meeples visit on Sun 25th Feb
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 01:22:04 AM »

Haha, tbh, we almost always play carcassonne, or a spin off for it.
I like Isle of Skye, and Love Letter to  ;D
Do I need to bring anything? Or will they have enough there?

They'll be plenty of games there to choose from http://www.thirstymeeples.co.uk/games but worth checking if there's something specific (or new) you want to play. Both Isle of Skye and Love Letter are on the list.

They've got a small shops too, but I'm planning on ordering a few things online this weekend (bigger selection and are very reasonable btw) and picking them up on day.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 02:49:53 AM »
Their game selection is like Dumbledore's library...there's not much they don't have.

We should give quadropolis a go, that's quick and easy to learn/explain.

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 04:09:11 AM »
Not ideal, but table booked for 3 people 12-3 with 1 hr gap and then 4-7 (no suitable table avail 12-6). They could do 1-7 if that's preferable so let me know - it's not ideal breaking in the middle but it does give us an opportunity to stretch our legs, get some fresh air and maybe some grub.

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 08:57:33 AM »
Yay, they've got Azul in their library. Really want to try this if we can.

Their game selection is like Dumbledore's library...there's not much they don't have.
Apparently over 2,500 games and counting!!!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:25:59 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 02:51:57 AM »
Magic Maze has appeared on my social media feeds recently. Looking forward to giving this a go at some point to see if it lives up to the hype. Check out the DT video

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 03:08:35 AM »
Not ideal, but table booked for 3 people 12-3 with 1 hr gap and then 4-7 (no suitable table avail 12-6). They could do 1-7 if that's preferable so let me know - it's not ideal breaking in the middle but it does give us an opportunity to stretch our legs, get some fresh air and maybe some grub.

Happy to stop and find some lunch, probably sensible!

Would like to try Azul,  I have packed Mint Works too, but that might be a good after party game  :(y)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 08:30:09 AM »
I'd like to give Photosynthesis a try too

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 08:34:42 AM »
I'd like to give Photosynthesis a try too
Yep, I'd definitely be up for that too.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2018, 06:56:35 AM »
Big Thanks to Willem and Rich The Fish for a successful day yesterday!

I hope you managed to get to your destinations safely.

We managed to play quite a few games:  Nmbr9, Photosynthesis, Azul, Isle of Skye, Love Letter, Sagrada, Quadropolis, Azul again, Carcassonne and a quick game of Mint Works.

I took a few photos so will share those over the next few days and write up a couple of the games I remember.  BTW: I was cheating in Photosynthesis: you're not allowed to act on the same space more than once a turn  >:(

All in all a great day - Thanks a lot for coming!

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2018, 11:37:32 AM »
Had a really enjoyable day, thanks so much for meeting up. Hope you all made it back without incidents.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2018, 12:40:51 PM »
Yep! Big thanks to both Rich and Tom! Had lots of fun, trying out quite a few games that were new to me, and some Ive played before.
Travel back was better than expected, just over 2 hours drive, was perfect!
Definitely worth a repeat one day!
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2018, 12:41:22 PM »
Don't forget Forbidden Island

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 05:46:45 AM »
Finally got chance to share some photos of last weekend:

We started with the lovely Photosynthesis:

It was really great seeing the trees take shape and spread across the map.  I really liked the artwork.  I felt like the game could have easily gone on for a lot longer, the advanced rules add an extra round.  I liked the balance of scoring big points infrequently vs. little points every round. I ended up taking a copy home with me.  Willem won this one, I scored the same number of points but cheated on some rounds regarding growing and scoring.

Next up was Isle of Skye.  I've only played this once before (with Rich the Fish) and I definitely preferred it on the second play.  I think having Willem explain the rules helped a lot.  I'm never sure how much strategy is important in this game, I ended up scoring a lot of points due to having gold in the last round:

Next up was Azul, this is great fun.  It's got a pleasing tile drafting mechanic, and I liked how scoring is calculated.  I wasn't so keen on the lack of direct player interaction, but it was quick to play.  Willem was the master tile layer I believe, but a significant margin.

I missed a photo of Love Letter,  it's a really fun game and not one I'd get to play very often, as it needs a few players.  I was fairly hopeless at it, but it's fun none the less!

After lunch we opened Forbidden Island - a game I shockingly had never played before.  We took it easy and had plenty of turns left for a victory:

Next up was Quadropolis, I apologise now for my terrible explanation of the rules.  Much like Forbidden Island the game tidies itself away, which is a big plus in my book.  I also like how there are a set number of rounds.  My quadropolis was more of a over-populated dystopian nightmare where the populace fight over the food in the only shop and forage in the grasslands for wild rabbits:

Next up was Sagrada, and though I want to like this game, I think this sitting confirmed my feelings.... the numbers never come up you need, when they do the colours aren't the ones you want.  It's essentially a random luck-fest and difficult to know whether placing a die in a slot was skill or chance.  I'd like to have more manipulation mechanics and for them to be less expensive.  I also don't like the colour palette: would you like to be:  reddy-blue, or bluey-purple or purpley-red?

I'm just bitter because I came last:

However Rich got to hold the Winner Card  :(y) :(y)

Time for another game of Azul,  what I liked about this one is we all managed to score a lot more points.  I think I pushed too hard on the penultimate round and was in a poor position to maintain my lead, ended up losing again!

We couldn't leave without playing Carcassonne, so we did  :D

As I recall Rich the Fish could have taken a very nice big farm away from Willem, having already taken it from me  >:(  but thought better of it because I pointed out the killer move:

I'll have to be happy knowing that in this photo it at least it looks like I've perfectly balanced my meeple on the scoretrack on top of Rich's

Great to see such a well worn set of tiles....makes me wonder how a completionist would ever cope  :'(

Willem had to leave us, he had to be home and up at 5am, so Thanks again for coming.  I got a quick game of Mint Works with our last 10minutes, which we both struggled with our economy.  Rich ended up getting the Gallery, which scores a star every round, which meant I was against the clock and though I scored 7 points, Rich managed to score 8 on the same turn:

I really enjoy a quick game of Mint Works, it's a refreshingly fast worker placement game.

As you'll see a wonderful selection of games. I'm looking forward to the next one  :(y) :(y)

Thanks again Willem and Rich the Fish, and extra thanks for organising the bookings too Rich!

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 01:13:10 PM »
Thanks once again to both of you for travelling to meet up for the day. I really enjoyed it and the 7 hours just flew by, but at least we got to play loads of games and had a fab mid afternoon meal at Byrons. Cheers for the photos and write up Decar. Hope to see you both again soon.

Offline Foggy-Balla

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2018, 01:30:02 AM »
I'm relatively handy for Oxford.  Please let me know if another of these events happens, it would be great to learn from some experienced players!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
smiley
Feb 18 forum errors - no worries just maintenance

Started by gantry

3 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 09:13:23 PM
by gantry
xx
Meeting a Good Friend at Thirsty Meeple

Started by Decar

9 Replies
Last post May 17, 2017, 02:27:15 PM