Author Topic: Potion Explosion  (Read 3592 times)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Potion Explosion
« on: December 29, 2016, 05:56:52 AM »
Potion Explosion appeared to me like the board game version of Bejeweled and I really had no interest in it.  My wife and son played a demo somewhere and loved it.  The Jolly fat man brought it on 12/25 and we got to put it together and play a few games. 

Players
The game only supports up to 4 players.  We have only played with 3, so I can't tell you how it plays with 2.  I will say that I do not like to be the first player when playing this game. 

Theme
The witches and wizards create various potions to prove who is the greatest brew-master of them all.  The marbles act as different ingredients required to make the different potions.  There are only 4 ingredients, which to me doesn't seem like enough for a wizard or alchemist, but whatever.  The theme could have easily been "beer explosion" with the marbles being grain, hops, top yeast, and bottom yeast.

How it works
Each player starts the game with 2 easy potion recipes.  These are picked out ahead of time and the players pick their first potion clockwise and their second counter clockwise.  So the first player will have the best and worst starting potions.  During your turn you can drink a potion at any time.  There are 8 kinds of potions with different affects, but you only play with 6 different potions in any one game.  The potions let you steal ingredients from a rival, take a pair of different ingredients from the board, remove a certain color of ingredients from a row on the board, etc.  Doing so does not trigger any explosions.  You can also deduct 2 points from your score to remove any 1 ingredient without triggering explosions.  During the main part of your turn you take 1 ingredient and hope to trigger explosions.  Say one of the rows looks like this:
 :yellow-meeple: :black1-meeple: :black1-meeple:  :blue-meeple: :red-meeple: :black1-meeple: :yellow-meeple:
You could drink a potion or take the negative 2 points to remove the  :blue-meeple:    Now you have:
 :yellow-meeple: :black1-meeple: :black1-meeple: :red-meeple: :black1-meeple: :yellow-meeple:
If you take the  :red-meeple:, the  :black1-meeple: meeples collide and all explode.  Then the  :yellow-meeple: collide and explode, so you get 6 total marbles to use in your potion.

Kids
Most kids should be able to play this game and find it enjoyable.  My son has trouble remembering to use the potions to increase the explosions created on his turn.

End game
The end game is triggered by the removal of the last 4 point bonus chip.  You get these chips for either A) Creating 3 of the same potion or B) Creating 5 different potions.  When the end game is triggered, the round finishes and then ends.  This is where the first player can have a disadvantage.  If player 2 triggers the end game, player 1 doesn't get an extra turn to use all his/her potions to maximize scoring.  The disadvantage is mitigated by carefully watching what other players have.  Unfortunately for a small child, this can be hard to do so I recommend having the children go last. 

Conclusion
So far I enjoy this game.  It is much more fun and interesting than I first imagined.  Everything made of cardboard fits together nicely and the game itself looks great.  The company seems to have some quality control issues with the marbles though.  We were missing black marbles and had quite a few damaged red marbles.  Getting replacements from the company wasn't as easy as I would have hoped, but after a lot of back and forth with them, they did promise to send us the few marbles we needed.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3049.0
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 06:01:36 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Potion Explosion
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 06:46:58 AM »
Nice review, merit for you! I hadn't heard of this but it looks fun, so I might consider it.

Edit: the components look really cool, but your experience and some comments from a quick look at BGG show that people often end up with missing or damaged components.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 06:52:28 AM by jungleboy »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 07:01:16 AM »
Nice report dirk - merit from me too.

This is a try before I buy for me - looking pretty good though! :(y)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 07:02:06 AM »
The quality control problems are a shame.  I would only buy this somewhere that allows exchanges.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 07:04:18 AM »
There's an expansion coming too!

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 07:16:17 AM »
Ectoplasm 5th element eh?  I wonder what the price point would be.

If anyone wants to see the current game, I recommend the Dice Tower review.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 07:41:26 AM »
Got it, thanks for the tip Dirk, this one will probably be a instant sucess at home.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Danci

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 06:55:49 AM »
 Was interested in this game  for my daughter as she likes witches and wizards. Unfortunately dirk's LOL theme summary "Beer Explosion" put a hoppy taste in my mouth and I will give it a pass for now. Maybe they need an "over 21" version? Cheers! Chug, chug, chug!   :o

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 05:29:43 AM »
If anyone is interested in trying this out, the Android and Iphone app is on sale for $2.99 right now.  I have the android app and it works well, but is a battery drain.   

Also on sale are other Asmodee apps like Colt Express, but I haven't tried them yet.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter