Author Topic: Cornwall  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Cornwall
« on: April 03, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
Today, I got to play Cornwall with my wife.

It was pretty good, the rules were a little fiddly to explain, but straightforward and the player boards helped explain the point scoring.

Basically, you're laying tiles which have 3 hexagonal regions on them.  One of the regions must match a connecting region, the others don't matter.  If you extend 2 different types of region, you get 1coin, which you spend placing more workers.  You have 7 workers, which can be placed onto the hexagons of the tile you laid.  The first is free, the second and third can be laid at a cost of 1 or 2 coins.  Unlike Carcassonne you can also play your workers into regions occupied by other players, but this costs you the number of workers that are already there.  Areas are completed and scored when a cottage is played into it.  Another technique is to make sure no tile can be played to extend the area.  My wife used to to great effect causing me to have a premature evaluation in the middle of our game.

Some of the tiles have chapels on them that give the player 3 points for playing a worker on them.  Once an area is completed the workers head to the pub and the player must pay 1coin to settle their tab and get all their workers back.

The game only has 36 tiles so plays very quickly.  The production is pretty good, the shape of the tiles is a little strange as you'll see in the photo.  The different shaped meeple are nice too, the different sizes affect majority scoring of areas.  As with all tile laying games, knowing the distribution of tiles is very important.

The artwork is fantastic, I particularly like the gloomy cities vs the woodlands, my only complaint was that some regions are called 'swaps' where as we thought 'marshes' would have been thematically better.  It may have been nice to have included some wildlife on the tiles too.

Another victory to my wife - here's the end game:

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2588.0

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter