Author Topic: Other Hobbies than board games  (Read 39244 times)

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
Re: Other Hobbies than board games
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2017, 12:07:27 AM »
How many cats do you have?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2017, 01:49:19 AM »
How many cats do you have?
I have 2 cats.

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »
I don't know if it counts as a "hobby", but I've been baking my own bread for a couple of years ... that's the edible kind, not counterfeit money ...

And have been involved in Play-by-mail games for several decades ...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 04:56:45 PM by wolnic »
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
  • Merit: 21
  • คาคาร์ซอนน์ fan in Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2017, 11:48:21 PM »
My most recent hobby has been getting more into writing poetry. Here's a diverse little sample:

Morning Song
A short and sweet poem about my daughters
(This was in response to a poetry prompt. An "abhanga" is a quatrain with lines of 6-6-6-4 syllables, with only the middle two lines rhymed.)

In That Ill-Storied Man I See
A liturgical prayer inspired by Donald Trump (hah!)

The Heavens Draped In Sackcloth Sigh
A poem about snow

I'm currently posting something new about every week or two, across various publications. You can find an up-to-date list of my poems here if you're interested. :) It has been a fun creative/learning experience. If anyone wants to join me in it, let me know!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 06:29:02 AM by stalcupojoy »
Fan Expansions: Fiefs | Labyrinths | Schoolhouses | Vistas
Poetry Website: michaelstalcup.com

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2017, 11:57:29 AM »
I don't know if it counts as a "hobby", but I've been baking my own bread for a couple of years ... that's the edible kind, not counterfeit money ...

Of course it counts! I have also dabbled in bread-making. I can make a pretty good focaccia now, and I'd like to branch out a bit more. I recently got a second-hand bread-maker but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Offline Squiffything

• Duke
  • Merit: 21
  • Do I smell onions?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2017, 08:55:38 AM »
I collect Vinyl, renovate and build record players.

Some are a little bit different to the normal.
Oooo, look at all the meeples

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2018, 07:21:48 AM »
Outside of browsing the web for Carcassonne collectables, i also have a hobby i've been active in since 2006:
Brazilian Percussion
Samba percussion

Ive been playing in several bands around the Netherlands, and since i moved to the UK, ive joined some bands here to.

In 2016 me and my girlfriend (who i met at a sambafestival in Germany in 2012) went to Rio de Janeiro and did multiple workshops with several bands/styles of music. I was even lucky enough to play in one of Rio's most well known samba schools!
Some video's from some of my bands can be found here:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154660545497486&id=500832485
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2018, 08:04:11 AM »
Over the past year, I have started keeping planted freshwater aquariums.   I have a 29 gallon high (110 liters) with a betta, some Harlequin Rasboras, Cory Catfish, zebra danio, and amano shrimp.  I also put together a 10 gallon (37.9 liters) that has a colony of red cherry shrimp, 2 guppies, and 3 Gertude's Rainbowfish.

Offline Foggy-Balla

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2018, 06:21:50 AM »
Only just got into Carcassonne, but really enjoying it.  Just own the basics at the moment - base game, T&B, River 2 & The Count.  Last two bought for aeshetics.  Glad that my Boy actually asks to play as he's normally buried in iPad/iPhone/X-Box, the last of which was given to him by a friend upgrading his console & before my Wife & I could say no.

Otherwise it's London Irish Rugby, coaching Mini-Rugby & cookery.  I also got back into model railways a few years back, which then led to general model building.  I'm stalled a bit on a model of a Chieftain tank that I Commanded in Germany back in the early '90s.  Latest fad is painting 28mm wargaming figures with a focus on 17th century stuff.

Finally I started having acupuncture last year for health reasons.  That has led to practising Tai Chi, in turn to Zhang Zhuang (basically exercising by standing completely still in a series of complex postures - harder than it sounds) & Daoist meditation.  My first go at the last was astonishing, never thought I would sit/kneel completely still for 45 minutes!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2018, 06:14:32 AM »
Hi all,
I was busy in the last few days. I have a sewing machine since this year. I tested the sewing machine with some other projects.  I've build a bench for my balcony and I needed some pillows for it.

This is the result of my new pillows: (see Attachment)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2018, 02:16:32 AM »
Apparently it's been longer than I realised since I last visited this thread! Great to see what everyone else is doing to keep themselves busy though.

@dirk2112 - loved seeing your tropical aquarium. I've kept a few over the last ten years but have never had a lot of luck with plants even with strong lighting and a CO2 pump. What's your secret? I would share a photo of the one we have at the moment but I'd be too embarrassed to given the state it's currently in... :-[

@Foggy-Balla - I used to know someone else who was a big fan of London Irish. She even took me to watch a game but it didn't really help that I don't particularly understand Rugby and didn't know what was going on most of the time. They play just down the road from me at Madejski Stadium though (they did at the time anyway), so at least it wasn't far to go. Hope the acupuncture is going well! :(y)

@kettlefish - Great work! I love the look of the meeple pillows :green-meeple: :(y)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2018, 06:21:30 AM »
The hardest part of keeping a planted aquarium is fighting algae.  Too much light, not enough nutrients, too much c02, etc.  It is a real balancing act.  I don't use CO2 at all, so my secret is limiting myself to easy plants.  Mosses, Wisteria, guppy grass, Cryptocorne, Creeping Jenny, vals, and tiger lotus are easy to grow.  I have a dimmable light, so I can reduce it or the amount of hours it stays on if algae starts to grow. 

For nutrients, I use osmacote in the soil and weekly add macro and micro fertilizers I bought online. 

The other thing you can do is use Glutaraldehyde in small doses to kill algae and add carbon to stimulate growth.  In the pet store it is sold as Seachem Excel, but in the US there are cheaper ways of getting it. 

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2018, 01:27:44 PM »
Very comfy looking pillows kettlefish!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2018, 01:33:44 PM »
I have opened a topic at CarcF in the open forum and a topic in the workshop at CarcF.
There you can see more photos and information.

Meeple Kissen

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2019, 02:26:32 PM »
Latest issue of my PBM game/magazine.  Small section about my recent boardgaming on final page.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 02:33:13 PM by Halfling »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
xx
Archived Other Games Board

Started by gantry

0 Replies
Last post February 08, 2013, 11:54:54 AM
by gantry
clip
Topics: old board to new board

Started by gantry

0 Replies
Last post February 08, 2013, 07:12:03 PM
by gantry
xx
Saint Nicholas Scoring Board why not Santa Claus scoring board?

Started by Windekind

7 Replies
Last post December 06, 2019, 12:31:54 AM
by Murphy013
xx
Can a Tower Floor capture more than one meeple?

Started by PapaGeek

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2022, 11:25:07 AM
by Meepledrone