Author Topic: Expansions Featuring Other Expansions' Features  (Read 4423 times)

Online Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Expansions Featuring Other Expansions' Features
« on: October 28, 2014, 02:49:58 AM »
Alright, I'm working on another Carcassonne campaign and plan to redo elements of my previous ones. But before I do that, I need to know: which expansions feature elements from other expansions? And more specifically, what elements are featured? I know a few:

The River II – The Inns (1 tile), The Volcanos (1 tile)
The River (III) – The Sheep (2 tiles), The Vineyards (2 tiles)
Bridges, Castles & Bazaars – The Inns (2 tiles)
The Halflings II – The Corn Circles (1 tile), The Vineyards (1 tile), The Sheep (1 tile), The Hills (1 tile)

This means that, according to Hans im Glück at least, the following can be assumed:
– The River (III), The Halflings II, The Corn Circles (I and/or II), and Hills & Sheep (Ex. 9) should be played together
– The River II; Bridges, Castles & Bazaars (Ex. 8); Inns & Cathedrals (Ex. 1); and The Princess & The Dragon (Ex. 3) should be played together

Does that pretty much cover it, or am I missing something? Let me know.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1194.0
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:52:56 AM by whaleyland »

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
Re: Expansions Featuring Other Expansions' Features
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 02:55:15 AM »
I cant remember another one so i think you have them all!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 05:08:51 AM »
There is potentially another one but it is debated: the pig-herd tile from the River II and its connection with Traders and Builders. From the CAR (page 61) regarding the River II:

If you don't possess the relevant expansions, the inn, volcano, and pig-herd tiles have no particular significance.

Then in the notes:

Still, there seems to be no reason why you couldn’t use the pig-herd without having the pig, since they are scored independently. In fact, the ZMG version of the rules leaves out “pig-herd tile” in this sentence, suggesting that they agree.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 05:22:41 AM »
And don't forget Tunnels!
1 in The Princess And The Dragon,
1 in Abbey And Mayor.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:25:31 AM by MrNumbers »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 05:24:15 AM »
This means that, according to Hans im Glück at least, the following can be assumed:
– The River (III), The Halflings II, The Corn Circles (I and/or II), and Hills & Sheep (Ex. 9) should be played together
– The River II; Bridges, Castles & Bazaars (Ex. 8); Inns & Cathedrals (Ex. 1); and The Princess & The Dragon (Ex. 3) should be played together

Maybe this isn't important for your overall purpose, but I don't know if they are saying that all of these expansions should be played together, just that they can be played together.

I think there are two clear examples where they are saying the expansions should be played together, because they go well together:
- River II with P&D, because this avoids the situation where a dragon tile could be drawn before a volcano tile.
- BC&B with I&C, because the bridges and the inns both have the same effect: to make roads more important (one by making them potentially longer, one by making them more valuable per tile).

For all the other examples with the River II, the River (III) and Halflings II, there is a common theme: the same expansion (or virtually the same expansion) already exists without any features from other expansions. So you have the option of using the River I or Halflings I with no other expansion features on them if you like.

I don't think there's anything inherent in the Corn Circles or in Hills and Sheep that makes them go particularly well with the halflings - I think they just saw the opportunity, given the existence of the Spielbox halflings, to insert some other expansions into the Cundco version. And then I think they wanted to choose more recent expansions (and the Corn Circles is quite ubiquitous despite the difficulty of getting the first one, because the second one comes with the minis) and to promote Hills and Sheep, and that's why they chose what they chose.

As for the River II, I think there was a 'market' for including the volcano tile for the reason mentioned above, so while they were updating the river they took the opportunity to include features of the only other two major expansions released to that point for no other reason than to try to integrate the game a bit more, not for specific reasons related to the particular expansions.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
control completed features

Started by joanBC

2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2021, 02:42:28 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
Center Scoreboards with River Bonus Features

Started by PapaGeek

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2022, 07:25:02 PM
by PapaGeek
xx
Carcassonne The Castle - Tiles to score for incomplete features

Started by katiesam

1 Replies
Last post March 11, 2019, 12:26:01 PM
by Skull One
clip
New expansion teased featuring castle moats

Started by Buselaar

11 Replies
Last post October 10, 2023, 04:23:35 AM
by Decar
xx
Meetup featuring jungleboy, Decar, danisthirty and Rich_The_Fish at d20 (London)

Started by jungleboy

14 Replies
Last post March 12, 2018, 12:02:26 PM
by CKorfmann