Author Topic: CCDL - Premiership Spring 2019  (Read 19104 times)

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Merit: 25
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
CCDL - Premiership Spring 2019
« on: February 22, 2019, 04:42:16 AM »
Players and Chosen Expansions

Danisthirty - The Besiegers
JackFace - Inns & Cathedrals
Leven - The Tunnels
MrNumbers - Abbey & Mayor
Rich_The_Fish - The Tower
Rosco - Traders & Builders
Thodekey - The Goldmines

Fixtures

Each player is to play a single two-person game of Carcassonne using JCloisterZone against each of the other players in the division. The starting date will be today Friday 22nd February 2019 and all games must be played and the results posted on this thread before midnight GMT on Friday 17th May 2019. The starting player in each case will be chosen at random.

The tile set for each game will consist of the base game and each of the competitors' chosen expansions, i.e. two expansions are to be used in every match.

The Division

As a result of each match, each player will be awarded league points according to the following rules:-

Most game points for roads – 1 point
Most game points for cities – 1 point
Most game points for cloisters – 1 point
Most game points for farms – 1 point
Most game points overall (formerly referred to as 'a win') – 1 point
Tying any of the above with opponent – 0.5 points

This means that all matches have 5 points available to be distributed to the two players.

A league table with points gained from matches played will be maintained and regularly posted to this thread by the tournament organiser.

The top ranked two players after all matches have been played will be declared 'Champion' and 'Runner-up' respectively. The lowest ranked two players will be eligible for relegation.

In addition to the Champion and Runner-up, the following will be awarded:-

The Brave Brigand – the player with the most league points for roads
The Knoble Knight – the player with the most league points for cities
The Crafty Cleric – the player with the most league points for cloisters
The Fruitful Farmer – the player with the most league points for farms
The Triumphant Tiler – the player with the most league points for winning games

After each match, it is the winner's responsibility to ensure that the result is posted to this thread clearly showing the points awarded separately for Roads, Cloisters, Cities and Farms.

This season, in the event of a tie on points, the league order will be firstly selected according to number of games won, followed by points difference. This is a minor change from the last season's rules.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4219.0
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 07:02:19 AM by TheSteveAllen »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: CCDL - Premiership Spring 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 07:29:44 AM »
Looking forward to it! :(y)

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 01:05:38 PM »
Anyone available now?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 02:31:04 AM »
Anyone available to kick this league of next friday evening, the 1st of march?

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 11:38:58 AM »
i am online this evening - anyone?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 02:44:07 PM »
BOOM! It's done. The league is underway...

Rosco and I had our match this evening and it was a 4 - 1 victory to me. Screenshots below:

I won on roads, cities and farms and got a nice 30-point boost towards winning the game overall from trade goods. Rosco however won almost as many points from cloisters as I did from farms!

Rosco got off to a better start than I did and before long had built himself a tidy city full of trade goods. When the opportunity to close this presented itself to me, I decided that rather than trying to kill it off and trap his builder in there I'd close it and take the trade goods. This gave Rosco a good points advantage, which he continued to develop with a cloister and a few other things. I looked at the scores at one point and he had exactly double my score at 66 - 33.

I was often frustrated whenever I tried to trap Rosco as he always knew what I was up to and had an annoying habit of escaping me. I was blessed with some good fortune at one point though when I managed to sneak a second knight into a large city that we had been sharing, closing it in the process for 32 points and a couple of trade tokens. This felt like a bit of a turning point, even though Rosco kept closing the points gap I was trying to build over him with yet more cloisters that always seemed to fit perfectly into the holes we kept accidentally leaving for them. ::)

I had gone for the farm early so was in a better position than Rosco who got an early one onto it, and attacked it very aggressively later on, but couldn't win it outright before the tiles ran out. This said, I had been looking at it (the farm) assuming it to be worth a bajillion points based on the number of besieged cities on it. Especially with my pig. But I hadn't focused on actually completing any of those cities (besides one) so the farm wasn't especially valuable in the end.

Thanks for the game Rosco! Good luck with the rest of the competition! :) :(y)

PS - Please can I have a bonus point for winning the same number of points from Cities as I did from Roads and Farms put together AND for winning the same number of points from Roads as I did from Trade Goods? That was the main thing I was aiming for from the start of the game TBH - and I achieved it! 8)

Offline thodekey

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 05:10:32 AM »
Anyone available this evening or this weekend for a game in this league?

I promise i won't try to get end scores that add up points of one another like some already have.  The thought alone...  ::)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 05:56:33 AM »

I promise i won't try to get end scores that add up points of one another like some already have.  The thought alone...  ::)

I will probably be free on Saturday or Sunday evening and would definitely be up for a game.

Can we say 20:30 UK/ 21:30 CET ?

Offline thodekey

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 04:35:10 AM »
Hello Dan,

This evening 20:30 UK would be perfect.  I'll be hanging around in Slack this evening so I'll meet you there. ;-)

I will probably be free on Saturday or Sunday evening and would definitely be up for a game.

Can we say 20:30 UK/ 21:30 CET ?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 03:56:22 PM »
Thodekey and I had our match earlier this evening and it was a 3 - 2 victory to me. Screenshots below:

As you can see, it was a pretty low-scoring game but I won most from roads and farms, and my honourable opponent won most points from cities and cloisters (well... a cloister which is all it took as I couldn't risk claiming any!). Most of my 11-point winning margin came from the gold, but this did of course win me one extra point for winning the game overall.

It felt to me like we were both very evenly-matched throughout the game, with the balance of luck remaining fairly neutral. Trapping was a key tactic for both of us and as a result of not always being able to defend our meeples we both struggled and were left a little short towards the end of the game. One saving grace I had in this respect was that I'd been reminded of a key feature of Besiegers during my previous game with Rosco; this being that knights can escape from besieged cities if a cloister is placed adjacent to their city. I was able to rescue a trapped and ultimately worthless meeple in this way after Thodekey had expertly trapped him in the city in the south-east corner. This worked nicely!

In terms of gold, the vast majority of my gold came from a single road which ended up with either 5 or 6 gold bars sitting on it. I ended up giving away Thodekey's 12-point farm in order to win the road (and the gold) outright but felt that this was a sacrifice worth making and ended up winning more points from the adjacent farm anyway!

Many thanks to Thodekey for this fun and exciting game. Good luck for the rest of the competition! 8)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 02:11:32 AM »
At risk of sounding like I'm attempting to embark on a series of affairs, my wife is out of the house most evenings this week so I intend to use the freetime wisely by playing some of my Spring League games. :-*

Is anyone else available? It'd be good to get a few games booked in to the calendar!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 03:32:42 PM »
It's been a dark day for Carcassonne... :'(

Screenshots below:

The main farm was fought over pretty fiercely, and since I failed to connect my seventh farmer to it for an outright win I couldn't secure an overall game-win. So, Jack won on farms, cities and cloisters, and the game, and I won on roads. Sad times. :(

Despite the result, and my comments above, this was a great game which I very much enjoyed played. It was obvious from early on that the growing farm was going to decide the game, and as we both added extra farmers to it it continued to grow in value and significance.

Jack drew more cloisters than I did and was brave enough to claim most of them. I did try to trap him in a few spots but he always defended himself well or seemed to draw what he needed to escape soon afterwards. I just couldn't keep him down! This was especially evident when I dropped a cathedral on a city cap that he had claimed as he was otherwise out of meeples and this was my attempt to make sure it stayed that way. However, he persevered with it and after immediately cutting me out of an attempt to share his points when I realised that he was getting dangerously close to completing it, he did just that, and even used this as an opportunity to get his double meeple onto the farm!

I was on the back foot after this and had a lot to overcome to keep myself in the game. I was lucky in a couple of places where I was fighting hard for a share of the farm and breathed a very slight sigh of relief when I eventually got it back to 4 meeples + double each. I needed the farm outright though, and with just a few tiles to go I attempted to get my final meeple onto it. With two tiles left in the bag it was still possible, but I didn't draw the tile I needed and so had a little cry instead. Jack took the 9-point farm at the top with the last tile of the game and that was it. Boom.

Thanks for yet another fun and exciting game Jack. And good luck with the rest of the competition... :(y)

Offline JackFace

• Villein
  • Merit: 3
  • UK Champ 2018 - somehow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 03:42:31 AM »
Great game as always, Dan. Fab write up too.

Offline JackFace

• Villein
  • Merit: 3
  • UK Champ 2018 - somehow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 03:45:07 AM »
Anyone free at any point today for a game?

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 04:02:38 AM »
Yes I am free now ish

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
CCDL - Championship Spring 2019

Started by TheSteveAllen

12 Replies
Last post April 08, 2019, 05:55:49 AM
by TheSteveAllen
clip
CCDL - Premiership Winter 2018

Started by TheSteveAllen

97 Replies
Last post February 18, 2019, 03:08:31 PM
by danisthirty
xx
CCDL - Summer 2019

Started by TheSteveAllen

38 Replies
Last post November 11, 2019, 05:04:56 PM
by JackFace
xx
Cundco spring 2023 US group buy

Started by gamgeefan2

20 Replies
Last post June 09, 2023, 12:51:35 PM
by gamgeefan2
question
Searching for a River Fan made Mod Tile - The Spring and 3 Roads.

Started by Nebus

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 04:29:19 PM
by wolnic