Author Topic: 2019 Basegame League  (Read 4658 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
2019 Basegame League
« on: January 18, 2019, 06:38:09 AM »
2019 Basegame League

I've put together this little guide to how the 2019 basegame league will run for everyone who will be taking part in it, along with a set of handy links at the bottom. Please read and make sure you understand this before the league begins! :)

I intend for the fixtures list for Round 1 to be announced shortly so that we're ready to begin at the start of next week. Good luck everyone!

How do we play each other?

Matches should be played online using the latest version of JCloisterZone (currently 4.3.0). Please ensure you have downloaded this and can run it on your chosen device well in advance of the start of the competition. Technical advice, general guidance and practice opponents can all be found on the Carcassonne Central Slack channel (see link at the bottom of this post). Or by posting here of course, but it's recommended and helpful to be available on Slack if possible.

How are games/ matches arranged?

Everyone taking part in the competition will play one match against everyone else. A match consists of two games; a home game and an away game. In your home game you will place the first tile, and in your away game your opponent will place the first tile. The start player can be determined within JCloisterZone on the pre-game screen where you choose your meeples. As long as the "Randomize Seating Order" checkbox is NOT checked, the starting player will be the first to choose their meeple colour and will have a "1" next to their chosen meeple.

Furthermore, the tournament will be organised into a series of rounds, with each player participating in one match per round against a specified opponent. The fixture list (who needs to play who) will be announced in a new thread at the start of each round, and the league table will be updated to reflect the current scores at the end of the round before moving on to the next. Each round will end when all of the fixtures for that round have been played, but it is hoped and anticipated that no round should last any longer than two weeks. Please be as active as possible in arranging your matches, as nobody else will do this for you!

How is the league ranked?

For each match, League Points will be awarded depending on the result of the two games that the match consists of. Each game is worth 1 point to the winner and 0 points to the loser. If a game is a tie, both players take 0.5 points regardless of who started. Therefore, matches will typically be scored 2 - 0 if two games are won by the same player or 1 - 1 if each player wins a game. However 1.5 - 0.5 is also a potential outcome in the case of one tied game, as is 1 - 1 in the unlikely event that both games are tied!

Points Difference (PD) will also be recorded and used as a tie-breaker. Your PD for any individual game is the difference between the winning score and the losing score and will be positive (if you won the game) or negative (if you lost the game) or zero (if the game was a tie). So, if you lost your first game by 23 points but then won the second game by 17 points your overall PD for the match would be -6. Conversely, your opponent's PD would be +6.

The league will be ranked primarily by League Points, and then PD where League Points are tied between two or more players.

Posting Scores

It has become a Carcassonne Central tradition that the victorious player will usually post screenshots of the final scores and end-game landscape back to the forums, along with a short writeup of the game(s). However, it doesn't really matter who posts what as long as the final scores breakdown from both games are posted. So please ensure that either you or your opponent will take responsibility for this once your match has been completed (which will also include pausing to screenshot the scores from the first game before the second game begins).

Anything else?

- JCloisterZone (external link): Downloading this is a good place to start if you haven't already downloaded it.

- JCloisterZone FAQ: Carcassonne Central hosts the official JCloisterZone FAQ which I inadvertently put together some years ago as a guide for people taking part in CarcC tournaments. If you have any questions or difficulties related to starting an internet-based game through JCloisterZone you might find the answer here.

- Slack: "Boardgaming chat/ banter/ tomfoolery/ nonsense with intelligent, fun people" might sound like the sort of thing you'd have to call a premium-rate phone number for. But not anymore! Slack is a great way of connecting with others, and is very handy for chatting in person rather than via emails/ private message to arrange mutually convenient times to play matches.

- The Unwritten Rules: This is recommended reading for anyone taking part in any of CarcC's online tournaments. Most of it boils down to courtesy and common sense, but it's written down because sometimes common sense isn't as common as we'd like it to be...

- 2017 Basegame League: The 2017 basegame league followed a similar structure to that which I've proposed above for the 2019 league. If there's anything you're not sure about, you might find some helpful examples/ information within this post or any of those which it links to.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4197.0

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Basegame League
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 06:40:13 AM »
By the way, I'm in! 8)

Offline Bekse

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
  • Lekker man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 07:40:00 AM »
Can the program run on mobile? I am abroad next week :S
If so, then I'm in.

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 07:50:46 AM »
I'm in.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 08:17:49 AM »
Can the program run on mobile? I am abroad next week :S
If so, then I'm in.

It's Java-based so in theory it runs on pretty much anything. I've never run it on a mobile though. I've only run it on a few different laptops and a desktop PC.

Even if you're away next week, if you're available from the week commencing 28th Jan that should be sufficient time to play your Round 1 match.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 09:34:23 AM »
I will do my best - I have TheSteveAllen league games too!
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline LaplazadeCarcassonne

• Freeman
    • View Profile
    • La plaza de Carcassonne
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 09:59:33 AM »
Hola, me interesa participar.
He intentado instalar el programa pero no me deja por Java pero lo volveré a intentar.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 09:59:45 AM »
I'm in, but depends a bit on the time schedule
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline Riker

• Labourer
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 10:34:16 AM »
Count me in!

Offline Bekse

• Villein
  • Lekker man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 11:08:05 AM »
Commencing the 28th? Awesome, then im in.

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Merit: 25
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 11:33:42 AM »
I’m in, obviously.

Offline JackFace

• Villein
  • Merit: 3
  • UK Champ 2018 - somehow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 11:49:31 AM »
Yes please!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 12:15:12 PM »
I need some training for national championship anyway, so I am also in 8)
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 02:57:34 PM »
I will play

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline dronedrone

• Vassal
  • Merit: 6
  • Updated my profile have I.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 04:46:03 AM »
Count me in please.
The owls are not what they seem

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2019 Basegame League - Round 1

Started by danisthirty

25 Replies
Last post January 30, 2019, 02:42:44 PM
by danisthirty
xx
2019 Basegame League - Round 2

Started by danisthirty

30 Replies
Last post February 18, 2019, 03:02:17 PM