Author Topic: Carcassonne Minis League: Fliers  (Read 20767 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: Carcassonne Minis League: Fliers
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 12:30:44 PM »
Hey Fliers,

Just wanted to let you know, that I'll be on vacation with no access to JCZ from 16.07 till 24.07 (including).
Anyway, go Fliers! 8)
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 03:45:44 PM »
Hi Mr. Numbers would you be able to schedule our match on Friday?
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 12:12:50 AM »
Hi Mr. Numbers would you be able to schedule our match on Friday?
Don't know for sure, I will be hosting my friends from UK on Friday. Let's see, maybe on the morning I will be free (as I am on vacation already).

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 03:49:55 AM »
Hello all.

I'm hoping to reinvigorate our group a little bit with this message.

I've been off for a few weeks (well, a week and a half anyway) as we've been in the process of moving house. We're all moved now and, although my Man Cave isn't quite sorted yet, I have at least found the laptop that I use for JCloisterZone AND a charger for it! This means I'm "back in the zone" and am able to start playing again once I've remembered the rules for this set of expansions!

Please drop me a PM if you have a spare evening and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Let's do this!
Dan :)

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 05:15:41 AM »
Hi All,

I already tried to schedule the match with MrNumbers but unfortunately we didn't manage to match the availabilities.
I would prefer to have the missing 3 games played before the 13th of August since I'll be on holidays after that till the end of the month with very limited access to a notebook and on a GMT -1 zone.

Rosco, TheDokey and off course MrNumbers, please drop me a PM when available.

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 02:41:24 PM »
Hi there,

I'm available this week on every weekday during the day and on wednesday also in the evening so let me know when we can play our flier-match.

Greetings too you all.

Offline thodekey

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 06:20:27 AM »
Today was the day Chooselife and I played our MINI-league-match.  After my rather disastrous first game against Leven, I had something to make up to.  I was sure it was going to be a though game...it turned out to be as expected! 

As things got started, Chooselife was taking the point lead while I had a slight advantage in the gold bars.  At a certain moment I was leading 6-2 in gold while Chooselife had a 18 points lead.  While a large farm was developed, I placed my first farmer and started enlarging that farm while I trapped one of Chooselife's meeples in a small city in the W.  As I had the luck to draw both of the crop circles tiles involving farming, that one meeple got stuck there till the end.

Meanwhile, Chooselife kept his point advantage and added 4 gold bars extra to his stack with a 4-tile roundabout in the SW while I made sure with some extra farmers and some extra cities to keep the lead in a now already large central farm.

Some 10 tiles before the end, and now some 25 points behind  Chooselife, but leading with 6 to 5 farmers in the main farm, I stood before a dilemma:
- join my last meeple to the main farm to make sure that Chooselife and I didn't tie in the farm in the end
OR
- use that meeple a little longer to score some extra points and keep the points gap as small as possible, but risking to tie the farm in the end.

I choose the first option and succeeded in joining all my meeples to the same farm.  Meanwhile, Chooselife used his last meeple to score extra points and enlarged the points difference in the end to 35 points.
Lucky for me, I placed the Witch in the big but unfinished city in the SW.  Chooselife placed his last meeple there with his last tile and there came the final scoring:

Chooselife 158 - 161 Thodekey.

That was very close!  The lead in the 42-points farm made the difference in the end although things were decided in the details and it could have easily turned out the other way: for example, if I hadn't placed that Witch there, Chooselife could have gained an extra 3 points in the end and that would have been a tie 161-161!

Thank you Chooselife for the high-level game and good luck with the rest of your league matches!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:47:04 AM by thodekey »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 06:26:03 AM »
Today was the day MrNumbers and I played our MINI-league-match.
[...]
Thank you MrNumbers for the high-level game and good luck with the rest of your league matches!
LOL! :) Only from screenshot I could understand against who have you played ;D

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 06:45:48 AM »

Not sure how I feel about this  :-X hahahahahah

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 07:11:13 AM »
I made plans to play Leven last night but then couldn't turn up at the time. Many apologies Leven, and thank you for being so patient with me so far!

I'm hoping that I will be able to play this evening, depending on whether I manage to put some new coat hooks up in the cupboard under the stairs. All being well, I will aim to be in chat room (probably both) at around 9pm UK time.

Please don't wait up if I'm not there! My life is chaos at the moment...

Offline thodekey

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 08:48:51 AM »
[...]
Thank you MrNumbers for the high-level game and good luck with the rest of your league matches!
LOL! :) Only from screenshot I could understand against who have you played ;D

Apparently not totally woken up, was I? :-)
Sorry MrNumbers...or should I say...Chooselife?   :P

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 08:53:43 PM »
Results of my game with Thodekey attached:

It's 4:45am here at the moment and I'm not sure why I'm awake, but I'll wait until the morning properly before going into detail...

I got off to a pretty poor start in this game as thodekey (as blue!) went first and got the 4-point city from the start tile, followed closely by a 6-point city plus 2 bits of gold. I happened to draw a few cloisters though, and made the questionable decision to place 3 of them adjacent to each other and claim all 3. Thodekey did the sensible thing here and went to trap all 3 with a single hole, but I was fortunate enough as to be able to draw what I needed to complete the cloisters and get my monks back before he’d completed his trap! If I hadn’t been so lucky here and thodekey had been successful in his trapping I’m sure the outcome would have been very different…

We had a couple of interesting battles which made good use of the expansion tiles in the early stages of the game. Thodekey threatened to share a city I’d started so I flew an extra knight into it with the hope of closing it soon after, but we ended up sharing the city (with the Mage) after he got a second knight of his own into the city in the conventional way. We also fought over a road for a few points and some gold. Thodekey drew one of the CC2 tiles with a club and forced me to remove my thief, but then had to remove his own thief too and I was able to complete the newly vacated road on my next turn. ;)

As the game progressed I managed to trap one of thodekey’s meeples on a short road with 2 gold bars. I invested my “spare” meeple in a farm which I then concentrated on growing over the course of the game. With his trapped meeple, thodekey didn’t want to get drawn into a farm battle and so let me keep the farm to myself, but only after I’d used another one of the CC2 pitchfork tiles to drop an extra farmer onto the same farm for good measure. :P

I managed to build up a lead of 20 – 25 points which I then held on to for most of the game despite some toing and froing with the odd short road or small city. At this point though, I knew that any extra gold could make all the difference so focussed on this as much as anything else as the game began to reach its conclusion. Thodekey had started building a road with two gold bars and had also put the Mage on it which made it too good for me to resist joining. However, he fought back and soon had a second meeple on the road which I managed to match with the aid of a helpful flier tile. The road remained at 2 – 2 for a while, before thodekey made a bold move to take it outright and I shut him down forcing an frrr tile where he had hoped to join his 3rd thief onto it. As a result, the road never got completed; both of us took 10 points for it and the gold stayed on the table.

Both of us were struggling for meeples as we came down to the last dozen or so tiles. We each had 2 meeples and 6 gold bars but there weren’t any opportunities for either of us to get any more gold without the other getting the same so this lost any importance as a determining factor and instead, we both started going for farms. Thodekey made a slightly awkward attempt to glom on to an unclaimed farm with one of his meeples so I claimed it from a far easier spot on my next turn. Thodekey’s final meeple was used to glom on to the same farm, but this also failed as I drew the remaining ffrr tile that he had needed to join it on. My final meeple went down as a knight in a 12-point city near to thodekey’s trapped thief. Neither of us had claimed it as it wasn’t completeable and had been developed purely to trap thodekey’s thief, but there were no opportunities to score more than this with my final tile so I took these easy points. 8)

Overall I’d say that in terms of luck we were quite well balanced although I was probably the more fortunate player just for my luck with the cloisters earlier on. This was balanced out (almost) by the number of crrr tiles that thodekey drew as soon as I created a dependency on myself drawing one to get a meeple back (and some gold). I didn’t draw so many Mage & Witch tiles, but one that I did draw gave me the option of generating a few points for myself with the Mage or attempting to reduce the value of a city that thodekey was dangerously close to finishing with the Witch. I played it safe and gave him the Witch, only for him to complete the city with another Mage & Witch tile almost immediately afterwards, which of course allowed him to throw the Witch back at me before completion. Doh! ::)

All four of the minis seemed to play quite an important role in the game and provided an extra dimension that felt like it had been well utilised rather than merely supplying a few extra tiles as is often the case. It was a fun game and I must congratulate my opponent on a hard-fought match regardless of the final scores. Good luck with the rest of the competition thodekey! :) :(y)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:39:50 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 05:11:14 AM »
anyone up for it today or tonight?
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline thodekey

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 05:49:44 AM »
How about right now?

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 12:40:14 PM »
7 games played, 8 left.
(screenshots from my game with thodekey will be published soon).

This is definitely not my league, I feel completely powerless playing games with this combination of expansions :( IMO, there is much luck involved in it, mastership isn't enough :-\
But let's see on the results of outstanding games though.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Interaction of Magic portal and Fliers

Started by Snowmax

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2020, 02:47:30 PM
by Snowmax
xx
Question about fliers and halflings

Started by Dkmvs

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2021, 02:34:52 PM
by NGC 54
xx
Carcassonne Minis League: Goldminers

Started by MrNumbers

39 Replies
Last post September 25, 2017, 11:10:27 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
Expansion League #7: Carcassonne Minis - SIGN UP HERE!

Started by MrNumbers

63 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 11:19:32 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
Carcassonne Minis League: Wizards

Started by MrNumbers

74 Replies
Last post September 25, 2017, 01:17:28 PM
by MrNumbers