Author Topic: International Bank Transfers to sensible countries... - a solution  (Read 3274 times)

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
All - I thought I'd post this here - something that came up a while back personally and may be of help to others (especially in the UK) who want to make a bank transfer to a "sensible" country - ie. EU, EEA, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand,...

I had to pay for something in the Netherlands a while back and the seller (a physical but very small niche shop) didn't take PayPal nor had they credit card facilities... Not a huge sum involved (€50). Bank transfer not an issue though. I was almost at the stage of posting €50 in cash...

I asked my banks (I have 3) and apart from the fastest taking 5+ days to process a simple transfer, wanting fees of £10-£25 for the transaction and giving crappy exchange rates they made it hard work (come to branch, fill in these forms, leave an imprint of your left testicle here,...)

Bit of googlage later and I settled upon XETrade - they do exactly what I needed - ie. I can send €x to person Y in country Z without paying stupidly inflated fees, taking days or acres of form-filling.

The first time you go to use it, you need to sign up for an account (this is by far the longest part and involved an actual person calling back to conduct some verification - took nearly a whole day for it to happen or me) and once you have signed up and have completed verification, then you can simply go online book your transaction (where you enter the amount you wish to send, the recipients details etc)... It offers you a price which you can decline (obviously they don't send the money then) or accept.

You then send the required amount with the reference they give to the domestic (to you) bank account they tell you (for me it's always been the same branch of Barclay's on Baker Street in London) with the deal reference by a (free) domestic transfer.

Then the next day they issue the payment to the recipient. All of which you can see within your XETrade account (and optionally get email notifications for)

Yes the exchange rate is a little degraded (something like 0.5-1.0%) from mid-market rates - but nothing like the 4-5% degradation that my own banks tried to apply and no monstrous fees unless I wanted it überfast transfer at the remote end as opposed to regular (2-5 day) EFT service (EFT has always happened within 24 hours from my payment being sent to the domestic bank).

They offer "free" service to/from these currencies/destinations:

AUD to Australia
CAD to Canada
EUR to Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
DKK to Denmark
GBP to The United Kingdom
HUF to Hungary
MXN to Mexico
NOK to Norway
NZD to New Zealand
SEK to Sweden
USD to The United States or Canada

They do offer transfers to other places - but always chargeable.

No connection with them other than using them several times now to successfully acquire things that would have had prohibitively high bank charges otherwise. Your own risk if you use them and it all goes horribly wrong. Happy to find out about other similar services - but so far XETrade have done everything I require.

Obviously don't send your hard-earned cash to Nigeria :)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2612.0
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Offline egamar

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 4
  • I haven't much in my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: International Bank Transfers to sensible countries... - a solution
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 05:47:29 AM »
"Transferwise" offer a similar service from the UK to many countries.  They offer very keen rates (mid-market) at a modest fee - 0.5%  minimum £2 (recently increased from £1 :( )

https://transferwise.com/help/article/1570084/basic-information/how-much-does-it-cost

When I last did the arithmetic the breakpoint for Transferisw vs Paypal was at about £80 but they will always be a LOT cheaper than the bank or a fee-charging credit card.
Agricola was my gateway game. Carcassonne became my game of choice.

Offline gantry

• Administrator
  • Chatelain
  • Merit: 37
    • View Profile
Re: International Bank Transfers to sensible countries... - a solution
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 03:04:56 PM »
Very interesting! I'm always looking for good services like this to save a little money here and there, thank you for posting!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
New Art vs Old Art...a Solution

Started by Reggie777

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2015, 08:31:46 AM
by Hounk
xx
Low Countries meet up?

Started by Joaquim00

10 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 11:54:56 AM