Author Topic: ThirstyMeeples - 30th April 2016  (Read 51419 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: ThirstyMeeples - 30th April 2016
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2016, 12:14:59 PM »
You have to pay extra for those kind of services jungleboy ;)

If Paul can post pictures of himself in the bath and get away with it then I don't see why I shouldn't go "the extra mile" by dressing up for jungleboy. There's a guy keeps coming round our house dressed as a postman. He's always sticking boring letters and stuff through our letter box and doesn't bring me nearly enough Carc stuff. I'll just "borrow" his clothes for the weekend (although, he's a bit smaller than me so it might be quite a tight fit).

Looking forward to it! C:-)

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2016, 02:38:12 PM »
For those that are thinking of driving, have you considered using a Park and Ride site? There are quite a few around the edge of the city https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/park-and-ride-locations and parking is a lot lot cheaper than using a car park in the city. I'm planning on using Seacourt, which is only 1.5 miles from Thirsty Meeples. Parking is £2 fixed fee for 24 hours and bus fare is an additional £2.80 (rtn) with buses running every 30 mins after 7pm (10-12mins before then), with the last bus leaving the city at 11:40pm! I'm not planning on being that late, but wondered if we were still thinking about possibly grabbing a curry somewhere after we've finished at Thirsty Meeples? I'm up for it.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in just 36 hours.

Rich.

@Decar - just wondering if you need me to bring Between Two Cities?

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2016, 04:21:25 PM »
Have fun, guys and girls. Pretty jealous about your meet-up! Hoping for some awesome reports afterwards!
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2016, 02:46:16 AM »
Hi, sorry was mega busy last night and today looks much the same!

Thanks for the parking information Rich - that sounds like a good plan.

I've not looked for a curry place, but it sounds like a great idea - how about we ask for recommendations when we get there and then we can book  table, when we know who wants to come.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
ThirstyMeeples - 30th April 2016
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2016, 03:30:42 AM »
I've not looked for a curry place, but it sounds like a great idea - how about we ask for recommendations when we get there and then we can book  table, when we know who wants to come.

Sorry to 'love you and leave you', but I think I'm out for dinner. Since I'm also a tourist this weekend I should get back to junglegirl and some sightseeing.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 03:51:18 AM by jungleboy »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2016, 07:29:32 AM »
Meanwhile I guess I know what I'll be doing at 6am on Sunday morning...

May Morning in Oxford

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2016, 07:48:08 AM »
I'm somewhat jealous  :(y)

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2016, 10:11:31 AM »
I'll look for a park and ride too.  Setting off in 10 minutes.  See you all tomorrow.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2016, 01:54:36 PM »
So we're pretty much set. I just wanted to take a note to say: safe travels to everyone.  The table is booked under my name, so no doubt there will be confusion. I doubt they remember I mentioned Carcassonne.  We're all set for an 11 oclock start.  Hopefully I'll be there on time - especially after buying 3 new tires and a set of brakediscs and pads on Monday.

I feel suitably under prepared. But I'll bring my travel box with me so we can do some signatures for Dan's birthday picture.   I'm already missing a tile.  Ive got a few gifts for people too, and that Orange Phantom!  I've also modified some meeple to be used in two variants I'd devised to hone your Expo skillz ;)

See you all tomorrow :)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2016, 02:09:31 PM »
See you all tomorrow! 8) :(y)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2016, 03:57:22 PM »
I wish you all a great day and much fun to play Carcassonne and to talk and meet together.

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2016, 10:11:27 AM »
Thanks for a great day everyone. I think 8 Carcassonne variants back-to-back must be some sort of a record!

For the benefit of everyone else on the forum, during the day we played:

• Carcassonne (II)
  • Gold Rush
  • The City
  • The Castle
  • New World
  • South Seas
  • My First Carcassonne
  • Hunters & Gatherers

Looking forward to seeing all of the photos  :green-meeple:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:16:23 AM by JT Atomico »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
ThirstyMeeples - 30th April 2016
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2016, 12:49:23 PM »
Thanks everyone, sorry I could only be there for half the day but the company and games were both excellent! I got 5 games in, including two I'd never played before.

Some photo highlights:

First, the amazing bathroom mirror at Thirsty Meeples. I'd be shocked if Paul didn't already have something similar at his place!

My first game of New World: a Carcassonne Game. Those surveyors can be a bit pesky!

My second game of South Seas. I've only ever played it during Carcassonne Central meet-ups!

Finally, a huge thanks to my new postman, danisthirty!

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:52:08 PM by jungleboy »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2016, 03:30:28 PM »
Thanks for a great time today everyone! It was really fun - I got home a few hours ago but had to go and pick my wife up from Monmouth asding another 70miles to my journey.

Write up tomorrow morning with a few pictures!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2016, 01:07:42 AM »
Thanks from me too. It was great catching up with everyone again, and meeting at least one new face (Halfling) too! :D

I experienced various problems on the way to Oxford (namely that a giant had moved the whole city at least 20 miles further away than I remembered having to drive last time I visited) which meant I didn't get there until around 12:30 so I missed the first couple of games :(. I think I learnt a lot from watching Decar vs. Rich_The_Fish at Carcassonne: The Castle anyway. I don't think it was my cup of tea...

Evidently I'm not quite as dedicated as JT Atomico and his 8 Carcassonne/ spin-offs in one day (world?) record, but I enjoyed playing New World for the first time, even as a 5-player game. I don't think I was clever enough to benefit as much from the two hat-wearing guys charging across the board as everyone else seemed to, but I was pleased to manage joint 2nd with Halfling, especially since we were only 1-point behind jungleboy and they had both shared a huge city at the start of the game! 8)

In terms of non-Carcassonne games I managed a game of "Between Two Cities" with Rich_The_Fish, Halfling and Decar. Neither of my cities seemed to score particularly highly but I really liked the theme, mechanics (despite the somewhat complicated scoring) and the novelty of working on two shared cities rather than anything of my own, and then scoring the lowest one. Highly recommended! The other game I played was Karuba with Decar, jungleboy and Rich_The_Fish Rich. This was quite a light game, and I didn't really know what I was doing, but enjoyed it all the same (apart from the sorting and careful placement of the 36 numbered tiles as the start of the game!)

I was sorry to miss out on the game of Tsuro which seemed to happen in the blink of an eye at the other table while I was still playing South Seas, and it was a shame we didn't get to play 7 Wonders too. But I'm sure there will be other opportunities to play these as I've a feeling that this won't be the last of our UK meetups this year!

Many thanks to Decar for organising the days events and for the very cool souvenirs he provided us with, and to Thirstymeeples for hosting us (pay them a visit if you're ever in Oxford :(y)). I guess the next UK event will be the UK Games Expo which is now just a month and a few days away. Hopefully it'll be another good opportunity to meet up and chat with as many CarcC members as possible! :)

PS - Sorry for lack of photos; I only took one and it didn't turn out very well, but it seemed like everyone else had everything covered between them in terms of photographic evidence of the days events

PPS - I don't know about anyone else, but based on the picture jungleboy took of me, I'd ask Royal Mail for a different postman! C:-)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Carcassonne tile backs changing (APRIL APRIL)

Started by Meepledrone

45 Replies
Last post April 03, 2021, 02:39:30 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
30th Anniversary Gathering of Friends Meeple

Started by Willem

0 Replies
Last post January 20, 2024, 04:21:43 AM
by Willem
clip
New releases on April 28th