Author Topic: WikiCarpedia: request corrections or submit suggestions here  (Read 72047 times)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: WikiCarpedia: request corrections or submit suggestions here
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2020, 04:45:54 AM »
Hi all,

I'm testing a new concept for some C2 pages on WICA with the idea so simplify the reading of pages, grouping related information together in an organized way and providing better traceability of the clarifications.

This update is based on the following principles:
* Clarifications to the main text should address issues related to the rules and should avoid mixing interactions with any expansions, unless necessary. So, these clarification related to interactions would be included in a separate section and organized by expansion.
* Clarifications to the main text are grouped in note boxes close to the text sections they refer to. This way we try to avoid scrolling all the way down to the end of the page, since you can find the clarification nearby and make the reading experience more fluid.
* Discrepancies between rules versions (for example, standalone version vs. Big Box 6 version) are grouped in an additional section.
* Discrepancies related to translations by publishers are kept as end footnotes, since they are language-dependent and do not affect all languages
* All clarifications are tagged with a unique identifier for WICA and keeps track to the source CAR footnote, if any. These identifiers are shown as a link in brackets that can be copied and pasted anywhere so link back to the clarification. Currently, the addition of a new clarification may affect the numbering of the exiting clarifications on a page and therefore the links pointing back to them.

Here you are a couple of WIP examples:
* The C2 Base game (new approach): http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Base_Game_-_Test_Inline
* The C2 Messages (new approach): http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/New_Messages_-_Test

The original pages are next so you can compare:
* The C2 base game (current version): http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Base_game
* The C2 Messages (current version): http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Messages

As you can see, the base game now includes a number of clarification addressing concepts modified or expanded by later expansions so you may take them into account as required. The point here is that the original wording is limited to the scenarios found in the base game, so concepts like "majority in a feature" are explained in a simplified way that may apply to the base game but falls short when adding the large meeple or a mayor. You get the idea.

All your comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2020, 05:01:22 AM »
Well Carcassonne is very simple game with simple rules and simple mechanism.
On testing page for Basic Game, I doesn't look like simple game ;-)
Approach on Messages is fine, this expansion is usualy bought by experienced players, so new page looks me more informative.
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2020, 06:12:11 AM »
Would you then prefer to move sections 4.9 Interactions with expansions to a separate page targeted at advanced players? What about section 4.8 Rules differences with Big Box 6?

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2020, 06:55:11 AM »
Big Box 6 difference is fine, I like it.
Interraction, well maybe hide it by default when click, show it by css) ;-)

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2020, 04:47:43 PM »
Add about wagon movement when the wagon is placed in a castle from Bridges, Castles and Bazaars.
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 45,600+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
Re: WikiCarpedia to do list
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2020, 12:59:36 AM »
WikiCarpedia to do list:
1. Create "South Seas", "South Seas Base Game", "South Seas Friday", "Amazonas", "Amazonas Base Game", "Amazonas Amazon River Bonus Tiles", "Star Wars", "Star Wars Base Game", "The Castle", "The Castle Base Game", "The Castle Falcon", "The City", "The City Base Game", "The Discovery", "The Discovery Base Game", "My First Carcassonne", "Cardcassonne", "The Dice Game", "Over Hill and Dale", "Over Hill and Dale Base Game".
2. Complete the Glossary page.
3. The "Spin-offs" section from the Main Page can be rearranged:
* [[Winter Edition|Winter Edition]]: [[Winter Edition Base Game|Base Game]], [[Winter Edition The Gingerbread Man|The Gingerbread Man]], [[Winter Edition Die Kornkreise|Crop Circles]]
* [[South Seas|South Seas]]: [[South Seas Base Game|Base Game]], [[South Seas Friday|Friday]]
* [[Gold Rush|Gold Rush]]: [[Gold Rush Base Game|Base Game]], [[Gold Rush The Sheriff|The Sheriff]]
* [[Amazonas|Amazonas]]: [[Amazonas Base Game|Base Game]], [[Amazonas Amazon River Bonus Tiles|Amazon River Bonus Tiles]]
* [[Hunters and Gatherers|Hunters and Gatherers]]: [[Hunters and Gatherers Base Game|Base Game]], [[Hunters and Gatherers Scout|Scout]]
* [[Star Wars|Star Wars]]: [[Star Wars Base Game|Base Game]], [[Star Wars Expansion 1|Expansion 1]]
* [[The Castle|The Castle]]: [[The Castle Base Game|Base Game]], [[The Castle Falcon|Falcon]]
* [[The Ark of the Covenant|The Ark of the Covenant]]: [[The Ark of the Covenant Base Game|Base Game]]
* [[The City|The City]]: [[The City Base Game|Base Game]]
* [[The Discovery|The Discovery]]: [[The Discovery Base Game|Base Game]]
* [[New World|New World]]: [[New World Base Game|Base Game]]
* [[My First Carcassonne|My First Carcassonne]]
* [[Cardcassonne|Cardcassonne]]
* [[The Dice Game|The Dice Game]]
* [[Over Hill and Dale|Over Hill and Dale]]: [[Over Hill and Dale Base Game|Base Game]]
* [[Safari|Safari]]: [[Safari Base Game|Base Game]], [[Spiel Doch Safari Promo|Spiel Doch! Promo 02/2018]]

1.  Carcassonne Star Wars I'm currently working on. I will also focus on the expansion.
1... If anyone wants to start on another spin off, let me know :)
2.  Feel free to help out  8)
3. Yes, that's the arrangement that was already planned for most.
3. -- We have created hub sections for spin offs where there are expansions for. So example the winter edition. As hill and dale has no expansions we had thought to add no hub behind it. Just some thinkings. ;)
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline cicerunner

• Duke
  • Merit: 5
  • 2020 meeple vision
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2020, 11:57:23 PM »
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Abbey_and_the_Mayor
(typo) existing text: "A barn not be placed using a magic portal."
suggested edit - "A barn may not be placed using a magic portal."
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 12:01:58 AM by cicerunner »

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page

Offline cicerunner

• Duke
  • 2020 meeple vision
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2020, 07:40:06 AM »
Consistency of major expansion naming

The titles of most of the major expansions as listed in WikiCarpedia are different to the titles as shown on the box art included. This relates to use of "and" instead of "&" and an insertion of an unnecessary "the"! The following changes would make WikiCarpedia consistent with the box art.

1. Inns and Cathedrals > Inns & Cathedrals
2. Traders and Builders > Traders & Builders
3. The Princess and the Dragon > The Princess & the Dragon
4. The Tower
5. Abbey and the Mayor > Abbey & Mayor
6. Count, King and Robber > Count, King & Robber
8. Bridges, Castles and Bazaars > Bridges, Castles & Bazaars
9. Hills & Sheep
10. Under the Big Top

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2020, 02:38:54 PM »
This is in our to-do list... We found a way to do this without changing the URLs... We just need to tweak all the required pages...  ;)

Offline cicerunner

• Duke
  • 2020 meeple vision
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2020, 03:16:12 PM »
Thanks Meepledrone

It is "Abbey and the Mayor" which bothers me most! :yellow-meeple:

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2020, 03:19:40 PM »
It is a permanent exercise of self-control in order to keep my OCD under control...  :o

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2020, 05:03:35 AM »
Well. What do you thing abount combining Order of Play with Scoring During Game Turn Sequence.
A lot of rules for play are directly in Scorign During Game and also scoring references are in order of play.
Hmm?

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2020, 06:22:09 AM »
Actually, the Scoring During the Turn Sequence was a first approach to combine Scoring During the Game with the Order of Play... I hid some steps dealing with direct scoring in Step 3B (Computing the majority -affected by Scoring Tiles- and some other preliminary actions...)

At this point, I was pondering if adding more features (options in the Filters tab) to the Tile Reference or stating a new experiment: a visual Order of Play... I envy the summary tables at the end of the Big Box rulebooks... They look so cool and easy to follow, but then check  the Scoring Reference pages at WICA... They become clattered with so many expansions, details, dependencies and overlapping expansions  >:D

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2020, 07:40:32 AM »
Cool, so I'm waiting for result ;-)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
WikiCarpedia or Wikicarpedia?

Started by NGC 54

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2023, 04:34:20 AM
by Decar
xx
A few suggestions for JCloister

Started by mike_bike_kite

16 Replies
Last post February 11, 2015, 12:29:38 PM
by mike_bike_kite
xx
suggestions pack

Started by forumisto

2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2016, 01:06:07 PM
by farin
xx
Traveling to GERMANY-ITALY-BELGIUM-AUSTRIA this spring. Looking for Suggestions.

Started by Bixby

20 Replies
Last post May 29, 2013, 08:01:44 PM
by Big Guy
xx
Megacarc suggestions?

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

3 Replies
Last post May 13, 2017, 08:48:29 PM
by Dragonlord